• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone had any seat time on the 2010 MTX Nytro demo

P
Jan 2, 2008
I haven't seen much feeedback from the people test riding the new nytro mtx model. Is there any updated news? I would like to hear from you guys to see what your thoughts are. Thanks.:beer;:beer;

J

jizagui

Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne WY
Rode it a couple of weeks ago at the snowies had about 1.5' of fresh snow way better than the 09's and 08's still a little heavy but defintely on the right track the 2010 162" nytro will high mark a stock apex in most conditions

Last edited:

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Spent a couple hrs boondocking it yesterday. Very smooth. Have very little engine break. Turns likle a dream, even with stock skis. Snow was about
4-5'' of fresh and a good base, so no real input on how it will climb, but it runs through the tight trees very well.

Most com fortable sled I've ever had seat time on. You can feel the weight up front, but thats Yami typical. I'm used to it since being on 4 stroke since 03. For those like me, its definately lighter than we started with.

The new rear skid is awesome. Best Yami skid ever. The Fox float 2's are sweet. I have the first generation and will be up grading. The ride like a coil over when side hilling and have great rebound.

The handwarmers suck. They know so it should be well I can't say fixed since they havent had a good set in yeras, but they shouls have something on the that stays warm at least.

The new tunnel design is awsome. Didn't hold much snow, and looks great. Will need a lot of man hrs to polish it up, to give ya the bling factor.

The foot wells/running boards don't let the snow through well, but are big enough for my HMK's way better than the ole Apex.

The mountain bar is like the past 3 years...to short.

Power..... I'd say will climb better than the ole Apex, mostly due to the new skids transfer. It will out perform just because its lighter and the suspension handling is awesome.

More on this story next week. I'm taking my stock 06 up and we are all taking a day ride. I need to see it side by side on the hill. What it will do vs. how it feels I need to see it for myself.

Track sucks. I ran the 162'' and the Nytro had a lot of low end grunt to spin the crap out of it and the track wouldn't hook up well off the line at all. Once the tracks ability caught the power of the Nytro it seemed to pull hard.

I'm used to a 174'' camo extreem unber boost, so again I have to have my stocker a sled I know to compare it against and visually see it.

All this said. I think its the best product Yami ever put to the snow. Even with the low hp, the upgrades make this the best riding Yami, best climbing Yami ever.

If they'd get the camo ext 162'' under it before production this sled will definately set the Yami history highmark. If not it probably will still be the best Yami mtn sled ever, but the maverik track will hold its mtn performance back.

A lot of potential outa this sled. For those looking at boost, this would be a great sled to add boost and ride without having to worry about changing the skid, the suspension, and chasing down a ton of light weight parts.

Come on Yami.............Put a track on it that will keep up with the mtn sleds ability. Hand warmers that get hot and work.......a mountain bar we can grab and not reach for......You've done so much to catch the better climbing 2 strokes, don't stop a touch short.

I'll still be looking to buy one, but I always drop coin to get it where I like it. If you fix these three things I'll save money......lol

Robrstopr

Last edited:
Z
Nov 26, 2007
Laramie, Wy
got a couple hours on the 2010's yesterday without a guide so we got to go in places they would not have wanted us to go, snow varied in conditions between typical april heavy wet spring to decent on the backside with some decent powder back in the trees, we had a couple of the 10's and 09's so we could do a lot of side-by-side comparision.

the tunnels on the 10's were slightly better but was hard pressed to tell much difference, the taper I aure will help out in teh deeper powder days but as far as feel there was no perceptable differencer while riding either, the design and hole pattern were were near identical.

the front susp is stiff as hell even on some of the larger 60-80' jumps I tried the front barely moved and was very harsh, with the sway bars still on them and the stiff shocks boondocking and carving was a big chore especially on the stiffer snow conditions it was very unstable sidehilling or rougher terrain, softening the front shocks would help a ton. on the trail it handled great, steering was stiff but again turning the shocks down would help that, almost no body roll in corners with the stiff shocks and sway bar. handling up front is better and lighter feeling that the apex for sure but was exactly like the 09's

rear supension on all the 10's was extremly soft, felt great on the trail but as soon as you started playing in the back country it would bottom out on the lightest jump. the rear skid would cause some ski lift on the harder snow but was well within control, maybe too much for my liking, making tunouts on the hill more difficult.

2 of them had the engine light on and no functional hand warmers, little dissapointing considering yamaha's known dependabilty.

power was good but typicall yamaha clutching made them feel like riding a 600 class machine, very linear pull with a low engagement.

we did a lot of climbing and it ability fell short on the hill, part due to the tracks partly due to the bad clutching (the 162 and 144" both made it to the same spot on the hills), the couple 2-smokers 700 doos and the apex in our group way outclimbed any of the nytros with ease. but I am sure with some work that it can be tuned to run a whole lot better

The gauge is just like the 09's way too small to get a good sight on rpm, mph etc when on the move,

handle bars are to low for taller riders just like the previous years, no change there

would I pay more to get an 10 over an 08-09, not a chance, they are almost identical in ther ride, handeling and performance a few bucks in lightweight parts and your still way under the price of a 10' and just as capable, the tunnel is the only perceptable change and is nicer but not a big improvement and certainly not worth the money. the suspension is still ill tuned front and rear and will require work to make it right but just like previous years,

the float 2's were defiinately more coil-over like in their feel, if you like that then great, to me it took away the major reason to have air shocks, the progressivness of their rate, thats what makes an air shock so pliable and easy to sidehill in the first place take that away you might as well have a coil-over since they weigh the same (within 1/2 lbs anyway)

Like most factory yamaha's with some work like better bars, major suspension retuning, and completely reworking the clutching it can be a kick *** sled but for most is very dissapointing in stock form and well below the competition in its overall performance on the hills,

Last edited:
P
Jan 2, 2008
Excellent review rob,it puts me one step closer to the dark side. I think you hit the nail right on the head,why is it that all skidoo engineers stop short of having a near perfect sled(ie: the liitle things you mentioned). Maybe it's because it keeps the after market guys afloat for business. Come on Yami open your ears so we can stop opening our walllets.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
so you still need drivers and a track for boost?

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
so you still need drivers and a track for boost?

Yes... But like I mentioned....Its savings us thousands on suspension, skid, and you don't have to do a tunnel, unless your doing it for bling factor. It may save some weight, but prolly end up saving less than 10 pounds.

Theres still some wheels and stuff to pull out of the skid, but Yami won't take them out. Trail riders will complain about hyfax issues if they made it a total mountain package.

Minor garage stuff and boost.....

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Also, I'm just saying its light years ahead of where it was. I personally will change almost everything anyway, but for those who just want a sled and add boost.... This one will work out tons better than the old models. Still not exactly how I'd prefer mine, but I always add aftermarket everything.

I'd rate overall A- ...... B+ for out of the box 130hp sled. Its no XP in the mountains, but its closer and has Yami reliability.....

I'll eat chit everyday before I own a 2 stroke again.....and I've bleed blue since my 88 Exciter. Not a chance of my blood changing color, but I'm happy with what Yami did for 2010. More hp would be awesome, but like everything...they will do it in time.

Last edited:
C

cobaltpilot

Nov 26, 2007
BC
I guess the $4000 question is, is it $4000 better than the 2009? Right now you can get a new 09 for about $4000 less than a new 2010.

So for shocks, front end geometry, rear skid, and track and tunnel is the 2010 that much better?

Did the front end on the 2010 feel much more stable than the 08? 09?

Did the skid feel like it could stay in when boosted or would you swap it out right away?

I see that the track is reviewed as not being stiff enough... again. That's a shame as it means you're not saving anything in the track department.

Premium Features