• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any peterbilt mechanics?

S
Oct 1, 2002
NY
Hey all, been a few yrs since I’ve been here, once I became an sled empty nester..:(
Anyways I thought I remember there being some peterbilt guys in here. If there are I’d appreciate a response.
I’ve got a 22 389 daycab. Driver’s side door seems to be shut tight but once I get going about 45mph and it starts whistling, like birds chirping. At first I thought it was the window because if I cracked the window I couldn’t hear it. But I think it was simply masking the noise as I now hear it with the window down If I listen close.
It doesn’t act loose or vibrate when closed.
When outside i see the bottom corner by the handle often times doesn’t close flush.
Yesterday I played around with the striker pin plate.I moved it in and out and while it seemed ever so slightly better it was still quite noticeable.
It seemed like it may have taken slightly less effort for it to latch in that position when closing.
I compared my door to the guy I park next to at the end of the day with the same truck.
I noted his door would completely close flush with minimal effort where as mine needs a good swing and even then it’ll more often be a jar down in the corner by the outside handle.
Secondly the door seal all the way around the cab was nice and round on his truck where as on mine, the front bottom 6” or so is smushed flat and then it’s okay for a few inches until you get passed the door wedge piece then it’s smushed flat again all the way around the bend and a few inches going up the back side of the door.

The door feels tight as in no up/down play. I kinda thought it looked like that when closed the bottom front had more of a gap between it and the sill then in the back corner by the handle.

Both our shop and peterbilt are uninterested in addressing the issue…

Any recommendations??
I don’t have any photos but I can get some Monday.

Ras74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2020
I would check door alignment I have had to adjust the ones on our 22’s already. Take a board and a large pry bar and lift on the right bottom of the door. That is it your gaps are off. I’ve seen the door seals fail quite early as well. Make sure you are catching the second Latch as well.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
I agree about the door alignment but you should also try closing the door with the window open. I know some of the cabs can seal tight enough that they don't like to close if a bit of air can escape. If I remember right there should be a vent to release air on the back of the cab. The other place that used to make noise was the mirrors, check to make sure all the mirror components are lined up correctly.

FWIW, I'm not a PB mechanic, I'm an engineer. The mechanics are the ones that actually solve problems!

Premium Features