• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Guide Tipping ($$??)

kbroderick

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2017
I know bigD rmk was a guide so he is probably the best chance of getting reliable numbers. I doubt a current guide is going to give a high range because they probably don't want more competition or give any reason for people to stop tipping hundreds of dollars. All I am saying is if I pay hundreds of dollars for a daily service I don't really plan on tipping...unless they are guiding me to some snowbunnies :face-icon-small-win

Just for comparison, on the retail side, a one-person private clinic (ski lesson) at Sunday River would set you back $235 for three hours. Unless you specifically requested your instructor, he or she is probably going see something in the neighborhood of $30-42 of that (unless they've changed the pays structure in the past few years there, there's a small increase in hourly rate for private lessons, and a bigger bump if you get requested by name). The only people making good money at that gig are the ones that have been there a long time and have high-dollar customers coming back and saying, "I'd like an all-day clinic with Mr. Johnson each day of my stay, please." And they still rely heavily on tips. So I wouldn't assume that just because the retail cost of the service is in that neighborhood the employee providing it sees much of that.

Last edited:

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
The going daily rate for a guide in Golden BC is $500.00 per day back in 2016-17 if that helps.. don't imagine it's changed much!
The op tipping $200 per day would likely match the guides wage or better!!! If it's a one day service, I assume a little high but whatever!?!? But $200 per day for a 3,4 or 5 day trip is a little excessive in my books... or rather if you want to come up to Canada, lam for hire!!!

Premium Features