• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

great years for Chevy Duramax Allison Crew 4WD

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
After every ones advice … THANK YOU VERY MUCH gonna look specifically for a LBZ engine setup crew cab four wheel drive short or long bed.

This is refinement of the following discussion https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449799

I ve come close several times … even with a deposit only to find something wrong with the truck. Mainly RUST !

Did Chevy coat the body with different rust inhibitor depending on the geography where it was sold?

The main area I think is of concerned for the rust is the quarter panels under the doors of the cab.

Is this cab rust common? Main question is How much cost to repair? Man hours and parts readily available to fix the rust? I could then do the calculation for price.

Found several trucks where the panels under the doors have rusted thru with holes in them. Even the doors have rust. Lets me present an hypothetical.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Found several trucks where the panels under the doors have rusted thru with holes in them. Even the doors have rust.

Let me present an hypothetical for a 2007 GMC Crew Cab Duramax Allison short bed 4WD with a Regency interior package. 92,000 miles.

How much to repair / replace rusted out panels under the doors?

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I'd honestly never heard about the rust issues before... good to know.

I've easily looked at a 100 LBZ's and more than 50% have some degree of rust in states where there is snow. Miles as low as 40k and up. Yet seen a Canadian truck with 300k miles … no rust.

Last edited:

polaris bob

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2002
Michigan
Living here in Michigan where they salt the heck out of our roads that sort of damage is very very common.

The extent of the damage seems to be related to how well they were protected after the sale by various rustproofing products.

Many of my Canadian friends use a product called oil guard which can be applied either at the retail or do it yourself level that seems to work pretty good. To my knowledge that product is not sold here in Michigan.

The repair itself is very straightforward and just about every shop in my area does it.

Cost of course would depend on your local area shop rates and whether or not you go with repainting or maybe some sort of textured coating or bed liner.

There are lots of videos on YouTube about repairing Chevy rocker panels.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
From having six LB7, LLY, and LBZ's in the family...

GM dips their boxed chassis in a wax-based protector to coat the inside of the frame. No paint. This is a chassis issue as the years pile up in salt/sodium chloride states. Always check the rear under box, above the spare carrier - the box cross support will be eaten and can completely fail. Inner box walls can rust from the inside - you know this from a prior post. Wheel wells and rockers are worst - stone chips, running boards that trapped the slush, and lack of washing lead to rust-throughs. Beds are easy to replace. Lots of shops experienced cutting those rockers out. Having stone protection, tube boards that don't trap as much crap, and washing 1-2 times per week and I've seen rockers with zero rust after 10 years in high corrosion states with no aftermarket rust protection. Smart and washing make a huge difference.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Just speaking from my experience. I've had two LBZ's and neither had any rust problems. My current 2007 LBZ has no rust to speak of. But...I have seen some other guys with rust issues. It just seems to depend where the trucks have lived. 175k miles on my current LBZ.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
If the rockers are rusted away and rust underneath where the brake line have to be replaced … Should I even consider the truck?

If so what is the price for materials and man hours to fix the rusted out rocker panels?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I wouldn't even consider a truck with rusted out rockers/cab corners. At least with the bed you can go to a flatdeck, but a rusty truck is not my thing.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I wouldn't even consider a truck with rusted out rockers/cab corners. At least with the bed you can go to a flatdeck, but a rusty truck is not my thing.

I agree BUT my rationale is this. A crew cab 4wd Duramax/ Allison under 90K miles gonna cost 20 grand for a work truck and 25 grand plus with top of the line package.

A rusted out truck for 5 to 7 thousand less get a shop to fix it might be worth the effort.

A little rust is gonna cost a grand or 2 to have the rust neutralized and then have the truck coated with a rust inhibitor.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

I wouldn't either. Unless you have body experience and want a project. Or you want to buy used and have a body shop do the work. Rust always scares me. It seems you never really know all the spots it has spread to.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I wouldn't either. Unless you have body experience and want a project. Or you want to buy used and have a body shop do the work. Rust always scares me. It seems you never really know all the spots it has spread to.

If you can see a little rust on the paint the undercarriage has got more rust typically.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Last one - if I was looking for an lbs this one would probably be coming home with me

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ctd/d/dayton-2006-chevrolet-silverado-2500hd/6912687356.html

$36k for 46000 miles … seems a little on the high side.

I was about a day short of getting one for $24k @ 7x000 miles and $19k for 8x000 miles both LBZ engines difference was work truck vs SLT. Saw a govt work truck for 14k with 80000 miles but had tar all over it.

Can get a car shipped most places for under $500 up to Mississippi River and 500 to a grand east of the River shipped to Los ANgeles.

$22k 2500HD @66000 miles

https://www.lipscombautocenter.com/...b_Standard_Box_Work_Truck-Bowie-TX/3466187653

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Also debating go simple W/T manual windows , manual 4wd or go big LTZ? Think a sunroof would leak in the long run

Premium Features