• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

great years for Chevy Duramax Allison Crew 4WD

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Rust will not be an issue in all states that receive snow, only the states that use salt. Here in Oregon no salt is used and rusty vehicles are basically unheard of unless someone brought it here from out of state.

IMO the LLY 04.5-05 is just as good as the LBZ without the price tag. Upgrade to a LBZ intake mouth piece and intake of your choice and they are good to go.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I also read the head gasket got thicker from 2005 to 207.5 to minimize a failure. 2 sizes of head gaskets were used.

I would do the LLY if it wasn't for the 3.3 gallons of less coolant.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
What is the opinion on a lifted truck?

Im thinking no because of the limitations pulling a GN or 5th wheel.

Im thinking lifted may catch wind pulling. We have been stopped pulling an enclosed trailer many times from high wind conditions.

Stock is 235/75-16 and a common 6" lifted has upwards of 35" tires.

Any benefit?

Better mileage? Then should 3.73 vs 4.11 gears be considered?

And ya still looking.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Lifted dmax beyond 2 inches will destroy the upper balls joints, and the CVs, without an aftermarket UCA and differential drop. FWIW.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I tossed around a smaller lift (say 4" or so) or level kit. I have young kids and didn't really want a lifted truck because I also pull a 5th wheel. So I leveled mine instead. But don't just crank the torsion bars. You are stretching out the suspension. The ride will be terrible and you will go through ball joints quickly. I did a Cognito UCA kit with Bilstein's, HD ball joints, tie road ends, Pitman and idler arms, etc. Rides as well if not better than stock.

Premium Features