• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Great POWDER Northern MN

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Hey guys just want to throw this out there. Some friends and I headed up to the family cabin just north of Orr MN on Elephant Lake. I have been going up there since my birth (winters since 1995) and have never seen this much snow up there. It was truly amazing! We mainly just road in the Ash River area, down to Elephant Lake. We didn't need to go anywhere else. I took them to some of my known honey holes, and WOW we had powder over the hood. We then just boondocked and found more and more powder play area's. It snowed another 7-10 inches while we where there friday and some on Saturday. I was not the camera man on the trip and have yet to get the pics but will post some later.

I am a fairly good powder guy, but the other 3 with me are very, very good and experienced, and they could not be leave what we had. We aren't very big on trail banging, which was great because thats all that anyone else was doing. Every one we saw with a mountain sled (including 2 groups 1 with 6 2009+ M8's, and the other with 5 2011 Pro-RMK's) thought it was too deep and where getting stuck. We are planning another trip up there in 2 weeks.

Just word to wise if anyone is heading up. The lakes are horrible! So much snow weight that there is ALOT of water under the snow. That part of trip was not fun. But groomed trails going across lakes where fine.

Sorry to post a rambling message but if can't get out west or are just looking for something to tie you over until your next trip. I truly recommend heading up to these area's. I also recommend Melgeorge's Elephant Lake Lodge. If you talk to Steve the owner long enough or even better get a room or cabin from them he can point you to a lot of great riding.

http://www.melgeorges.com/

MX86

Lifetime Membership
Apr 9, 2008
Bemidji, MN
The slush is getting really bad on the lakes now. Last weekend was frozen solid, but now it's all slush underneath. Be careful when going on the lakes in the area

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
The slush is getting really bad on the lakes now. Last weekend was frozen solid, but now it's all slush underneath. Be careful when going on the lakes in the area

Did you guys find any thin ice spots or just lots of slush? I know on Lake of the Woods will see lots of slush on top of 20+ inches of ice.

Either way will keep an eye out.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I've been watching John Dee's snowcover all winter and,

It's been showing 30 plus inches for a long time now/ The best in the Mid-west. It's pretty good here in Duluth area too. Not that good , but for the first time in years, you can carve a ggod circle anywhere. Life is good.

Owen

S

snoprojoe

Apr 14, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
We have a cabin by buyck, My mom and dad were there this weekend and said it was like sleding in Montana, without the mountains. Can't wait to go next weekend!!!

MX86

Lifetime Membership
Apr 9, 2008
Bemidji, MN
Did you guys find any thin ice spots or just lots of slush? I know on Lake of the Woods will see lots of slush on top of 20+ inches of ice.

Either way will keep an eye out.

Oh the lakes are still frozen solid, but there is water/slush a couple inches thick on top of the ice.

and when you're flying across the lake and all of a sudden you feel like you're spinning out and you look back and see slushy water your heart starts skipping a few beats :D

S

snoprojoe

Apr 14, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
All I can say is WOW, Just got back from riding around Orr and Crane Lake and the snow was awesome. Did some on and off trail riding, the snow was deep for Minnesota.

Premium Features