• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

grap straps?!?

rmking700

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2014
Utah
Do any of you guys ever use these? I've never touched one can't really control the sled with them and no one I've ever rode with uses them yet I still see them every year on all the new sleds. Any of you guys really feel there any good? Ha it was the first thing I took off my pro .....grab sorry for the typo

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I think that they serve a valuable purpose. Just not as they were originally put on a sled. We all know that you should never use it when riding, but I know of 2 good reasons to have them. One is that it works as a cushion when I have gotten slammed into the bars. The second is when 2 people are riding the sled, having one person on each side now has something to hang on to.

s1d3w1nd3r1480

Premium Member
Sep 6, 2013
Mid-Michigan
I have pondered this as well multiple times last season. On my Nytro I had a stock one on my bars and never used it riding and thought i wouldn't miss it when I put pro tapers on my sled so I didn't get a grab strap for it. Then of course I came into a couple situations on the next trip that I could have used it. These weren't riding situations but a couple sticks and a tricky turn around in a dead end. I found it would have been very helpful to tip the sled over while at a stand still to get myself in a better position on edge to get unstuck. Just gives better leverage in these stand still situations I never realized i used until it wasn't there when i was reaching for it.

So now I'm stuck in a slightly new dilemma, the nytro is now the brothers sled and I have a new Pro TD 155. I think that it may be just that the Nytro has so much more weight and it needs this for these situations where the Pro won't be difficult to tip in these situations and will not need the extra leverage capability so I have considered moving the Nytro and riding the Pro without it but then I lose the forementioned extra cushion that prevents me from crushing my chest into the bars and hitting my face on the dash in those all to familiar situations from time to time.

Again I stress i never use it riding but find it useful in other situations.

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
I use my mountain bar a lot and would be lost without it. Yes I agree it has no place when doing a serious ride or getting the sled on edge, but if you're in a parking lot or on a small slope where putting it on edge doesn't make sense, I like to use the mountain bar to help me position for a better lean. it allows you to hang better without crossing all the way over the sled. I've ridden a couple sleds without mountain bars and out of habit I go to grab it and am disappointed when it's not there.

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
I use mine all the time for slow speed stuff.

I recently replaced my bars, heaters, grips and left the mountain bar off for one ride. Was a PITA. Especially for those slow speed off balance maneuvers. So rather than just giving the mountain bar a little pull, you end up having to lean your body over to grab the furthest handle bar and throw your balance off even more. Basically in some situations you are working a lot harder without a mountain bar than with one.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Use mine all the time also. Getting unstuck, siding hilling when you can't get up on one ski. Couldn't imagine trying to sidehill with both ski's down reaching to the downhill side of the bars, how uncomfortable!

Last edited:
Premium Features