• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GPS maps for Garmin

Rich_mountain

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2016
Washington, West side
Does anybody have trail maps for Garmin Nuvi to download? I have seen several links on this forum and others that take me to blank pages or pages that no longer work. Any maps for the cascades would be great but I would particularly like Greenwater area. I know there are national park trail maps, but I don't know how to load those onto my GPS to work right and be somewhat accurate. Any help would be GREAT...

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Does the Nuvi accept micro sd cards? I’ve got a garmin Rino and have an sd card that i bought from garmin. Theres different resolutions and of course different pricing. I have the highest resolution mps and do well for me, Greenwater included as well as other Washington areas. Check out the Garmin site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
I have the same Rhino. I also have a CD with wa,Oregon and part of Canada topo maps. I load them on computer then use Garmin basecamp camp program to select what zones I want to load into the GPS. Not sure how the Nuvi works. Call garmin they are actually quite helpful.

Option 2
There are also open source maps that are great and free. I would have to do a bit of searching to remember what source. I have some maps from both my cd and open source on both my Rhino units.

Option 3.
Which is kind of the route I have gone these last 2 seasons. I use ONX HUNT on my IPhone. These are offline maps that work without cell and internet. Just need GPS like the Nuvi would. The phone screen is bigger and better detail than the Rhino or Nuvi. It's a free ap or you can buy if you want all features

Rich_mountain

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2016
Washington, West side
Does the Nuvi accept micro sd cards? I’ve got a garmin Rino and have an sd card that i bought from garmin. Theres different resolutions and of course different pricing. I have the highest resolution mps and do well for me, Greenwater included as well as other Washington areas. Check out the Garmin site.

The nuvi is older so it takes regular sd cards for expanded memory. Thanks for the info, I will check then out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rich_mountain

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2016
Washington, West side
I have the same Rhino. I also have a CD with wa,Oregon and part of Canada topo maps. I load them on computer then use Garmin basecamp camp program to select what zones I want to load into the GPS. Not sure how the Nuvi works. Call garmin they are actually quite helpful.

Option 2
There are also open source maps that are great and free. I would have to do a bit of searching to remember what source. I have some maps from both my cd and open source on both my Rhino units.

Option 3.
Which is kind of the route I have gone these last 2 seasons. I use ONX HUNT on my IPhone. These are offline maps that work without cell and internet. Just need GPS like the Nuvi would. The phone screen is bigger and better detail than the Rhino or Nuvi. It's a free ap or you can buy if you want all features
I will also try these options. Not familiar with base map and open source but am sure with a little research I can figure it out. Thanks for the great info.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
You can also download garmin basecamp on the website. Theres a subscription fee but you can highlight your area that you are interested in, Save it, plug your gps into the computer and upload that into your garmin.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Outside of the Garmin, I use a couple apps on the iphone.
One is called ski tracks or bike tracks. It tracks well and maps can be sved in the background while you have service. They are then available when out of service.
Another real good one I use in the summer,riding motorcycles is
Motion X. Its a paid app but works great.

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
I will also try these options. Not familiar with base map and open source but am sure with a little research I can figure it out. Thanks for the great info.

Where are you located. If you have room on your computer we could meet up and you could download my garmin disk (about 1g) then you can play with it. If you take the SD card out and just save the maps directly to the card it seems to be an easier process for my simple thinking brain. Hit me up if you want to meet and "borrow" some maps

Premium Features