• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting the Snowbike off the trailer?

B
I have an open trailer. This past summer I cut an old 1" snowmobile track I had and when I redecked the trailer with a couple sheets of marine plywood, I put a piece of the track at the end of the trailer so the sled/snowbike would have an easier time getting on the trailer as in the past I have seen sleds struggle, even with studs, when it snows or the snow melts then freezes on the deck and it is no fun getting sleds up when it is like that.

As my snowmobile has reverse, as the bike does not, how easy is it getting the bike off the trailer? Will I need a wheel kit for sure? 2 guys? Will it freewheel back with the trailer deck tilted back?

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
Ben,

It has been my experience with both Timbersled and Moto Trax kits, that they do NOT freewheel. Especially backwards. If the bike must come off the back, the best bet is to have two people.

My tilt deck has the ramps on the front for drive-off abilities. We used old hi-fax pieces on the ramp to allow my ski to slide off to avoid having to go backwards. When hauling in the back of my pickup (my preferred method) I fabricated a wheel kit to allow me to pull from the rear of the bike and be on the ground when the bike is at the pivot point from truck bed to ramp. Tie-downs from the handle bars to the foot pegs keep the bike going straight.

In all honesty, the wheel kits do make a world of difference. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I built my own instead of paying a premium for one. With a little redneck engineering, you can make something functional without paying more than $40.

B
Thanks a ton for the information/advice. I was worried that it might be nigh-on impossible for me to just muscle/drag the bike off the trailer.

Camso makes a wheel kit but it is not available anywhere, yet. I think once I get a wheel kit I won't have to worry much about it.

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
Wheels are great till they hit snow of any depth. It’s a lot easier to pull the track to move the bike backwards rather than dragging it if the height is right.

But being that it’s an open trailer why not make it ride on ride off ?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Pulling the ski backwards over the traction mat will suck, otherwise they're not hard to pull backwards. I pull my Timbersled out the back of my enclosed trailer most of the time. Mine is running on ski glides though so it slides easy.

B
Pulling the ski backwards over the traction mat will suck, otherwise they're not hard to pull backwards. I pull my Timbersled out the back of my enclosed trailer most of the time. Mine is running on ski glides though so it slides easy.

I agree, it will suck as the track mat will hang up on the bike-track. Great for getting the bike up on the trailer, not so great for taking it off.

I think that with a wheel kit I'll have a lot easier time getting it off by myself.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
With the wheel kit you should be able to lift the rear and move it forward or back and tilt the bike to steer the front while moving. For your next kit do the research. I think there are two kits that free wheel both directions. It is a selling feature that frees up HP. Get or make a good wheel kit and it will help.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I have heard the camso has good rolling resistance but i have also heard the ski hangs up a bit. The wheel kit will definitely be handy at times. With my timbersled in the back of my truck i am still able to pull it backward down my ramp by myself without wheels. I start up at the handlebars then usually have to get down and pull from the bumper. No big deal. With two people one guy yanks from the back (no ramp) while the guy in the bed holds the handlebar and ski to keep it straight and pushes. Get close to the edge, 1,2,3 and yank it right out. Plop.

B
This dealer states he has Camso Wheel Kits in stock:

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436062

I just placed my order for the wheel kit from the company in that link. Like for the PST engine jacket, it is phone-only ordering. The Snowbike stuff/companies are like a blast from the past with phone ordering.

Still, $368.54 shipped with shipping being $35.

Once again, thanks all for helping me to spend more money.

Last edited:

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I just placed my order for the wheel kit from the company in that link. Like for the PST engine jacket, it is phone-only ordering. The Snowbike stuff/companies are like a blast from the past with phone ordering.

Still, $368.54 shipped with shipping being $35.

Once again, thanks all for helping me to spend more money.

My pleasure!! :face-icon-small-ton

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
I'll spend more of your money........get an enclosed trailer!!! I know of someone who stripped down their entire bike to repaint the frame from the damage done in one season of always hauling in the back of a pu.. WHich is 5 times better than an open trailer!

B
I'll spend more of your money........get an enclosed trailer!!! I know of someone who stripped down their entire bike to repaint the frame from the damage done in one season of always hauling in the back of a pu.. WHich is 5 times better than an open trailer!

Ha, thanks. I need and encourage the continued support from my snowbiking community.

I have given though to a new enclosed trailer.

My trailer does have a salt shield and I just tested my snowmobile cover and it fits over my entire bike/track perfectly and I always cover the sled and will also always cover the bike when trailering plus, anytime the roads are nasty and stuff might get kicked up, I will drag the hose out and rinse the trailer, truck, sled and bike off to keep things nice.

I have a 2004 SkiDoo Rev and it is still in great shape with almost 10,000 miles on it.

Up here in MA/NH/VT-New England, it snows so infrequently and when it does, in one, maybe 2 days, the roads are all dry so we don't have to trailer in wet salty conditions all too often.

I should still get an enclosed though.

Premium Features