• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

At what point will insurance total a sled

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Had a little mishap today. Let my sled warm up in the trailer, moved it out and shut it off. Apparently something melted, and it was cold enough to freeze the throttle cable pretty quick (around 0 degrees) and went to move it real quick and the throttle stuck, my sled and myself hit the back of the trailer. I fell off and the sled went pretty quickly about 200 yards, flipped over and spent about a minute upside down at WOT. No i hadnt put my tether on yet, but thankfully i had my helmet on.
Anyway, the RF a-arms, shock, bulk head peice, pipe, body work, looks like mayde track, need to look it over better but the tunnel might be tweeked.
At what point does insurance typically total out a sled?

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
When the cost of repair exceeds 65% of current value.
koolaid has it right. Some companies might be 60% and some might be 70%, but they'll all be in that range. The tough part is deciding what the current value is. They'll probably look at both book value and comparables.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
koolaid has it right. Some companies might be 60% and some might be 70%, but they'll all be in that range. The tough part is deciding what the current value is. They'll probably look at both book value and comparables.

From what I've seen this is the range and depends on the insurance company.

With regard to a tunnel replacement being an automatic "total" that is not always the case. Back when my 2014 Pro was brand new (0 miles) we had a little mishap and ended doing some damage to the tunnel and it required a tunnel replacement. I thought for sure, it would be totaled but that was not the case, Insurance company paid for the tunnel replacement and it was back up and running.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
After you get a bid to repair the sled and if it's 60-70% (depending on the company) of the value of the sled, they'll then get a bid for the salvage. Salvage is the value of the wrecked sled as it is. If it costs less to fix it than it does to payout the value of the sled minus the salvage value, they'll pay to fix it vs totaling it out. If it's extensive like it sounds, better hope it's close enough to total it!!

Hope it goes well for you.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Got any vids of the sled taker offer action?
Sorry not sorry but I woulda had to lmfao if we were together. Not laffing at you but the situation cuz it’s always on our minds when we start up

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Got any vids of the sled taker offer action?
Sorry not sorry but I woulda had to lmfao if we were together. Not laffing at you but the situation cuz it’s always on our minds when we start up
Me? I dont have video, i kinda chuckled after i figured out i was allright. Is what it is, **** happens.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I had to do a tunnel and skid replacement on my Pro-lite that didn't total it. I had documentation that established value well above a standard 2014 M8000 though. If it would have been stock it would have been a goner. I think the total value for State Farm at the time was 70%. And when it hit or got close that point they gave the option to have it fixed or totaled. Might depend on the adjuster you have too.

If you think it will be a total loss and you have any aftermarket parts that are easily swapped you might want to do it before they inspect it. Accessories aren't covered unless they were on the machine when you bought it or you have something on your policy that explicitly covers them.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I was an adjuster until I opted to leave the industry about a year and a half ago. Depends on two things.
1. Total loss threshold in your state. IE: Some are if the loss is expected to exceed 75%. the state I live in has no threshold so it is if the loss is expected to meet or exceed 100%
2. Is the company and how they are filed in your state as to how they calculate the expected loss amount to be.

My company calculated it two ways.
1. If the repair estimate exceeds 100% of the ACV (actual cash value (for what it was, not what you can replace it for at retail)
2. If the repair estimate + salvage value of the vehicle + expected rental coverage cost + potential repair supplement meets or exceeds 100% of the ACV we would total it out.

That was the two ways my company would total a vehicle. I worked in a body shop the last year going through cancer and I can tell you other companies do not use step 2. State Farm, for instance, here would have a repair estimate of 95% of ACV and still authorize repair. However they did not have field adjusters like myself and it was the shops responsibility to call up State Farm to advise if they expect a supplement or request tear down to see if there is hidden damage to add to the initial estimate. A shop did not want to face Audit and have to explain to the insurance company as to why they repaired a vehicle at a cost more than the vehicle was worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Well update, estimate was just over 15k. Im waiting to hear from insurance, but guessing she gone

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Premium Features