• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen 5 turbo won’t go above 7400rpm.. sometimes

T
Jan 13, 2013
Had an issue last ride where when I restarted my sled it wouldn’t go above 72-7400 rpm for maybe a minute or two and then would run fine. Wasn’t a bog felt like it was hitting a hard wall saying it can’t go past that. Did it maybe 6-7 times last ride but always after a bit of a wait would run fine again. Never noticed a check engine light but possible I just didn’t see it if it went away after. Anyone have a similar issue? Thinking it has to be something to do with the rave valves but hoping someone has had the same thing happen to them.

T
Aug 8, 2011
73 to 7400 range is a pretty good indicator of a rave actuator failing. That’s what they will turn for revs with the valves in neutral. Seems to be a bit of a trend that rpm will hang low for a minute or two of riding and then come to life before an out and out actuator failure.

S
Feb 2, 2017
Had an issue last ride where when I restarted my sled it wouldn’t go above 72-7400 rpm for maybe a minute or two and then would run fine. Wasn’t a bog felt like it was hitting a hard wall saying it can’t go past that. Did it maybe 6-7 times last ride but always after a bit of a wait would run fine again. Never noticed a check engine light but possible I just didn’t see it if it went away after. Anyone have a similar issue? Thinking it has to be something to do with the rave valves but hoping someone has had the same thing happen to them.
Did you get it sorted? If so, what was it? Same thing going on with my 22 turbo.

T
Jan 13, 2013
Did you get it sorted? If so, what was it? Same thing going on with my 22 turbo.
Dealer said they fixed it by resetting some stuff with their computer. They didnt fix it nothing changed. Sled still runs good but 1/4 times roughly after restarting it it wont build RPM for a minute or so. Dealer basically didnt believe me last time and said I might have to pay out of pocket if they dont find anything wrong (brp wont reimburse them for nothing) so im not bringing it back until it fails fully or I have a video of it doing it to show them.

S
Aug 16, 2011
my g5 na has done this as well only once all winter but exactly as you say 7200 7400 ran like crap after a hour sit and ran good rest of season

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Dealer said they fixed it by resetting some stuff with their computer. They didnt fix it nothing changed. Sled still runs good but 1/4 times roughly after restarting it it wont build RPM for a minute or so. Dealer basically didnt believe me last time and said I might have to pay out of pocket if they dont find anything wrong (brp wont reimburse them for nothing) so im not bringing it back until it fails fully or I have a video of it doing it to show them.

I had a similar situation.

Mine started after two separate random limp home mode, trip outs. Which set no codes. To get those to reset and go away I had to shut the machine off, wait a couple minutes, restart all good. Hauled it to the Dealer , who installed a new RAVE actuator motor. Then recalibrated the actuator.

Thought all was good. No more limp mode, thought great. Then after restarts during the day if I grabbed a handful of gas without waiting for the gauge to cycle to RPM it would only rev to 7300-7400. If I jammed the throttle several times it would rev to 8000. However if I let the gauge cycle to RPM and the RPM to stabilize at 1200, after bouncing from 1300-1100 as the exhaust valves were cycling. I would have perfect RPM.

Something was messed up in the computer. I had lost my mag side injector serial number, at some point. Then this last trip they checked fuel pressure, disassembled the RAVE valve actuator and cable. Re-learned it all again. Then found my TPS was not there? They relearned the TPS.

Long story short, it is working great again. Have the dealer physically check ever parameter in the ECM.

1200ish miles on the beast now.

The issues started around 950 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
24 turbo R 650 miles: Max 7400 rpm ran like **** on the bottom end. Sled threw the rave cable code but when I dug into it the part where the cable connects to the actuator had snapped. Looks like cast aluminum to me have had lots of cast parts brake on G5’s.

IMG_2150.jpeg

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
My guess also is rave actuator. Either actuator itself (which would produce a check engine light on a small guage) or cable. Either sticking or broken.

But I have heard of some injectors going bad too. Only one of those that would throw a code is a stuck/broken cable

Premium Features