• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen 4 Summit / Axys RMK comparison

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
A few weeks ago I smashed my hood/ air box on Summit 850. Well I had to wait on parts and didn't want to miss out on a good day of riding with my buddies, so I rented an Axys RMK.

The sled I rented was a 155 2.6" Pro RMK version. My sled is a 165 3". So I'm not comparing apples to apples, but my comparison is more about the differences I noticed vs which is better kind of thing. So being a ski-doo rider I was as not use to the RMK at all. It felt very rigid and seemed to take way more effort throughout the day. After a few hours, I was really getting the hang of it. I was able to see why some folks really like it.
1. You can't ride it like a ski-doo. Haha
2. I thought I was on an 2012 XP again in amount of effort required to carve and etc. it requires way more counter steer.
3. It loves to be on one ski and holds a line really really well. Sidehilling or just changing direction.
4. Sidehilling. I was impressed for sure, responds so well on edge and wrong foot forward.
5. The 2.6" track is a work horse. Gets up on top of snow really well. I thought I was stuck a few times sidehilling through moderate incline trees and all I had to do was walk it forward while pushing forward on the bars and it seemed to just pop up on top of the snow for me.
6. Vertical post was nice, but didn't feel like a must have. Bars actually felt to wide more than a few times.
7. After about 4 hours I was getting the hang of it and was able to countersteer, lean and weight running board, maneuvering was much easier.
8. The motor is very responsive, clutching was good, pulled proper rpm and quick out of the hole. Power was there when needed.

This past Saturday I had back my 850 and wow. I fell in love all over again haha! Axys is good but I'll take my 850 over it all day! Mostly the G4 chassis is just so fun to ride, effortless, quick, and well the motor. I feel Polaris has a bit of catching up to do!

F
Feb 29, 2016
I agree with most of what you said except that the RMK is WAY easier to sidehill and tree ride than the 850 and the power is surprisingly similar in my opinion. I ride the same 165x3 as you and get to ride a friend's 154 x 2.6 RMK occasionally. Don't get me wrong, really like my 850 but the Poo is VERY capable !

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I ride an AXYS 163 2.6 and had the opportunity to swing a leg over a Doo 850 165 and a 17 Artic cat 155". Both sleds had some great traits
With some getting used to would keep me way satisfied. The doo's Power and ease of roll over were spot on, it does not feel as good to me on a steep side hill as the AXYS or the Cat. The Cats handling really surprised me, very easy to sidehill and takes little rider input for
The sled to react. The Cat motor felt about the same as the other sleds but overall the doo's power was spot on.
I still would take my AXYS (SLP stage 2) over the other sleds probably because it's what I am most used to. None of the sleds out climbed the others as it came down to who nailed the line and had the best ride. We are lucky to have such capable sleds to choose from, can't go wrong theses days.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I ride an AXYS 163 2.6 and had the opportunity to swing a leg over a Doo 850 165 and a 17 Artic cat 155". Both sleds had some great traits
With some getting used to would keep me way satisfied. The doo's Power and ease of roll over were spot on, it does not feel as good to me on a steep side hill as the AXYS or the Cat. The Cats handling really surprised me, very easy to sidehill and takes little rider input for
The sled to react. The Cat motor felt about the same as the other sleds but overall the doo's power was spot on.
I still would take my AXYS (SLP stage 2) over the other sleds probably because it's what I am most used to. None of the sleds out climbed the others as it came down to who nailed the line and had the best ride. We are lucky to have such capable sleds to choose from, can't go wrong theses days.

And to think, from what I've read, the 2018 early release Cat seams to be quite a step up from the 2017. That is good news for sledders.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
I agree with most of what you said except that the RMK is WAY easier to sidehill and tree ride than the 850 and the power is surprisingly similar in my opinion. I ride the same 165x3 as you and get to ride a friend's 154 x 2.6 RMK occasionally. Don't get me wrong, really like my 850 but the Poo is VERY capable !

Agreed. I was really impressed with its sidehilling capabilities! It makes me want to try a Gen4 with a 15" wide track and compare side by side.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I think your perspective and opinion on comparing sleds might change after having more seat time. Just like you said how after half a day you started to like it more. It took me two days of hard riding to realize the capability of the Axys. You're going to like what you're more comfortable with. I compare the lines pulled between similar riders on the Axys vs. 850. It's so amazing what both can do! I will say this. I've pulled lines in the neutral position on my 850 that I couldn't have come close to pulling wrong foot forward on my modded XM. That to me is impressive!

H
Nov 27, 2007
Pleasant View Utah
Haven't been on the 850 yet. Bought an Axys 163 this season and put a Boondocker on it. It was mentioned earlier how it takes some seat time to really get the hang of it. This is very true! Coming from a Pro I now have about 400 mi on the Axys, and I'm still trying to catch up to this sled. It's so quick to respond that you really have to be on point to stay ahead of it. Simply amazing where these things can go. It's great to hear how well all 3 mfg's are doing. As mentioned earlier, you really can't go wrong with any of them these days. Ride On!

Last edited:
B
Feb 18, 2009
A few weeks ago I smashed my hood/ air box on Summit 850. Well I had to wait on parts and didn't want to miss out on a good day of riding with my buddies, so I rented an Axys RMK.

The sled I rented was a 155 2.6" Pro RMK version. My sled is a 165 3". So I'm not comparing apples to apples, but my comparison is more about the differences I noticed vs which is better kind of thing. So being a ski-doo rider I was as not use to the RMK at all. It felt very rigid and seemed to take way more effort throughout the day. After a few hours, I was really getting the hang of it. I was able to see why some folks really like it.
1. You can't ride it like a ski-doo. Haha
2. I thought I was on an 2012 XP again in amount of effort required to carve and etc. it requires way more counter steer.
3. It loves to be on one ski and holds a line really really well. Sidehilling or just changing direction.
4. Sidehilling. I was impressed for sure, responds so well on edge and wrong foot forward.
5. The 2.6" track is a work horse. Gets up on top of snow really well. I thought I was stuck a few times sidehilling through moderate incline trees and all I had to do was walk it forward while pushing forward on the bars and it seemed to just pop up on top of the snow for me.
6. Vertical post was nice, but didn't feel like a must have. Bars actually felt to wide more than a few times.
7. After about 4 hours I was getting the hang of it and was able to countersteer, lean and weight running board, maneuvering was much easier.
8. The motor is very responsive, clutching was good, pulled proper rpm and quick out of the hole. Power was there when needed.

This past Saturday I had back my 850 and wow. I fell in love all over again haha! Axys is good but I'll take my 850 over it all day! Mostly the G4 chassis is just so fun to ride, effortless, quick, and well the motor. I feel Polaris has a bit of catching up to do!

The XP comment is interesting as my XP was a ton of work to ride. When I rode an XM I could not believe how much less effort it took to ride and decided in a moment I had to upgrade to the XM. The Gen4 to me was not nearly as big of improvement (XP -> XM vs. XM -> Gen4) but still a nice improvement. For me the new engine (long term reliablity), clutch (ease to adjust weight), and track (better traction) are the big advantages for the Gen4.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=snowride adventures Came up in my feed. Looks like the Cat might be formidable.

That cat will be great competition. In the part where the Doo climbs it seemed the throttle was let off at least once where he seemed to the bar from the start on the cat. Too add to the throttle usage it seemed he eased into the start on the 850 pay attention to how he actually pins the CAT before hitting that first hill. Also it appeared he was way steadier, controlled while sidehilling with the 850. JMHO

Last edited:
M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
That cat will be great competition. In the part where the Doo climbs it seemed the throttle was let off at least once where he seemed to the bar from the start on the cat. Too add to the throttle usage it seemed he eased into the start on the 850 pay attention to how he actually pins the CAT before hitting that first hill. Also it appeared he was way steadier, controlled while sidehilling with the 850. JMHO

as for the difference @ the start, I bet the cat gets on top of the snow better/ faster than the g4. that's why he can pin it to win it out of the hole. g4 is a great sled, but like my xm, trenches a bit more than I would like. now that I ride the g4, I always seem to feather it out of the hole a bit. seems to get on top faster that way. for me anyways

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
feather out or not you want as much track speed from the get go in these situations. I've learned this from trying to compete against others, the more momentum you can carry into the hill the better. He had an advantage from the start when he pinned it out of the hole on the cat.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
There is a lot of subjective statements in here looking at his lines etc flat light use of throttle you name it.

The only way to do it right -- is side by side to the bar.

Same with the sidehill

That is where competition comes watch some guys go at it and come to your conclusions, and even there you get the rider difference.

All that said the Cat has been way underrated even the 2017 with the rolled chain case is a formidable sled.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
He did let out of the gas twice on the 850. Either way the new cat looks like it works awesome which is better than the 17 mtn Cats I've been around. The one I rode felt sluggish compared to the 850

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
The XP comment is interesting as my XP was a ton of work to ride. When I rode an XM I could not believe how much less effort it took to ride and decided in a moment I had to upgrade to the XM. The Gen4 to me was not nearly as big of improvement (XP -> XM vs. XM -> Gen4) but still a nice improvement. For me the new engine (long term reliablity), clutch (ease to adjust weight), and track (better traction) are the big advantages for the Gen4.

Ok ok. Maybe I exaggerated comparing to the XP. Depends on what year XP -> XM. The 2012 w DS2 ski and S36 w/bars inline was a good sled, just took more physical effort and that's what I felt being a 1st time in 5 years on a Polaris 1 day ride, until towards mid afternoon after I had got the feel for it and my confidence level had increased. The Axys is quick, takes more counter steer than the Gen4. I felt you could ride the Gen4 centered more, where on the Axys I had to be wrong foot forward, more than the G4. Both are great sleds...choose your color. But I love my 2017 Summit! Axys has the edge in steep sidehill terrain still, but maybe I just need to challenge my self more and get my Gen4 in the steep trees more and see.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I just had 4 hardcore cat buddies switch to doo.

Well did they ride the new Cat? I have been on Doo for the last 2 and am considering it. The approach angle on the new Cat is way flatter than the Doo. I love the new Doo color though. Love that Blue, just not that keen on the green with it.

If they would get their clutch and bulk head issues resolved it would help my decision since my dealer sells both it is going to be a tough one to decide on.

As for the 165 Doo vs. the 162 cat. The 165 doo is equiv to a 174 Cat for inches on the snow. The Doo should smack the Cat down. I really think the approach angle more than anything is what gets the Cat higher on the hill. Even with a blip or two of the throttle.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Well did they ride the new Cat? I have been on Doo for the last 2 and am considering it. The approach angle on the new Cat is way flatter than the Doo. I love the new Doo color though. Love that Blue, just not that keen on the green with it.

If they would get their clutch and bulk head issues resolved it would help my decision since my dealer sells both it is going to be a tough one to decide on.

As for the 165 Doo vs. the 162 cat. The 165 doo is equiv to a 174 Cat for inches on the snow. The Doo should smack the Cat down. I really think the approach angle more than anything is what gets the Cat higher on the hill. Even with a blip or two of the throttle.

I was mostly making a irrelevant reply to an irrelevant comment.

Two of them had mountain cats with 920 big bores in them. And two of them were running 2016's with turbos. So to say that the 18' is better than those 4 sleds in power or the ability to high mark or go through deep snow would be a big lie. They traded because they were tired as hell at the end of each day while those of us on 850's and turbo axys were ready to ride another tank of gas at the end of the day. The cat takes WAY more effort to ride and for some people that is a big deal.

Last edited:

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I was mostly making a irrelevant reply to an irrelevant comment.

Two of them had mountain cats with 920 big bores in them. And two of them were running 2016's with turbos. So to say that the 18' is better than those 4 sleds in power or the ability to high mark or go through deep snow would be a big lie. They traded because they were tired as hell at the end of each day while those of us on 850's and turbo axys were ready to ride another tank of gas at the end of the day. The cat takes WAY more effort to ride and for some people that is a big deal.

Oh I have heard that on a few occasions from Cat guys. That's why I am going to demo ride the 18' on Sunday. I want to see how it feels for myself. I ride a T3 163 right now and I have had zero, nada, zip motor issues after riding Polaris from 2002 thru 2015 and having all kinds of motor issues. Love the E-tec but the chassis isn't as playful as the Pro was. I have to give Polaris the nod on their chassis. At least on the ones I have ridden. I have never ridden an Axis nor a G4. I will no longer ride Polaris unless our local dealership changes ownership so that is off the table. (I only buy local) So for me it's Doo or Cat. I have read from early rides that the new Cat is WAY easier to ride than the older models. Not trying to plug for Cat. It was going to be an easy decision for G4 until all the 1st year sled gremlins started popping up and then Cat released the 2018 early. Now I am on the fence.

Premium Features