• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gearing of 2021 Khaos Quickdrive (163) vs QD2

K
Nov 20, 2020
I’ll be gearing down for sure, called my local shop (in BC) and I can get the QD2 sprocket and belt for $700. I’m sure I could sell the new stock pieces for a little so it won’t be crazy expensive. I guess I will need to buy a second belt for back-up (just thought of that).

For anyone reading this thread in the future... There is a video on the Polaris self-help website and it couldn’t be easier to swap for QD2... pull two bolts, no special tools, 10 minute job. Replacing the bolts is recommended, and I have heard of people breaking them while riding.

Thanks for all the input guys. My sled comes next week, but I just found out it won’t have shocks. The velocities are on back order with no ETA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Nov 11, 2008
I’ll be gearing down for sure, called my local shop (in BC) and I can get the QD2 sprocket and belt for $700. I’m sure I could sell the new stock pieces for a little so it won’t be crazy expensive. I guess I will need to buy a second belt for back-up (just thought of that).

For anyone reading this thread in the future... There is a video on the Polaris self-help website and it couldn’t be easier to swap for QD2... pull two bolts, no special tools, 10 minute job. Replacing the bolts is recommended, and I have heard of people breaking them while riding.

Thanks for all the input guys. My sled comes next week, but I just found out it won’t have shocks. The velocities are on back order with no ETA

So I am curious, it sounds like you are going to spend $700 plus the cost of a spare QD belt which are $400ish. Why not just go to an aftermarket set up like TKI, roughly the same price and those belts are $150ish. Then you have arguably a nicer set up that you can change the ratio on in the future if desired.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I agree 100% with the above statement. My riding partner went with QD 2 only because he did not buy a spare belt. Once you factor a spare belt in you might as well go tki

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
He did not buy a spare belt because he plans on not breaking one he figures he could get quite a few seasons before he sells the sled on the same belt. And he probably will be able to do that

T
Nov 11, 2008
He did not buy a spare belt because he plans on not breaking one he figures he could get quite a few seasons before he sells the sled on the same belt. And he probably will be able to do that

I just don’t have faith in Polaris new release quick drive belts. Lol The 13’s were hit and miss though the updated 14 was fine, the Axys actually was good but still, $400+ for a spare is a lot and to not have one between a few guys could lead to a stranded sled.

It’s not always the belts fault either. Take a hard hit to the belly pan and smack the lower Pilly or whatever. Just me being too cautious I suppose.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I would not be stressed out one bit about no spare belt on an axys. I've personally put 10k+ miles on stock QD belts no issues and would be willing to bet 95%+ axys riders do not carry spare belts. Just not a problem anymore. Hell, I bet most guys don't even have any tools to change a belt in their sleds.

How many guys pack spare chains, JB weld and oil to fix an exploded chaincase? etc. There are 1000 and 1 things to break on a sled and the QD system since 2014 has proved it is VERY infrequent and uncommon failure point.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Great thoughts Wheel House. I’ve carried an extra qd belt in the past, but probably won’t buy a spare for my QD2. I’ve never seen an axys lose a qd belt.

Got to consider he’s in BC as well. A tki will cost him $1200ish with exchange rate and shipping. The tki is a great kit, a lot of gear options for Polaris if you wanna play with them.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I was able to get the QD2 sprocket and belt for 1/2 the cost of the TKI. For me, that was the way to go

K
Nov 20, 2020
I would not be stressed out one bit about no spare belt on an axys. I've personally put 10k+ miles on stock QD belts no issues and would be willing to bet 95%+ axys riders do not carry spare belts. Just not a problem anymore. Hell, I bet most guys don't even have any tools to change a belt in their sleds.

How many guys pack spare chains, JB weld and oil to fix an exploded chaincase? etc. There are 1000 and 1 things to break on a sled and the QD system since 2014 has proved it is VERY infrequent and uncommon failure point.

Great to hear! Now I just need the list of the other 1001

K
Nov 20, 2020
Here's how I got confused in the first place. I watched this in depth Snowest review of the Khaos and I believe he makes a mistake at 5:25, saying that QD2 is not geared as low as the original quick drive. Seems weird because he is so knowledgeable, so I took him at his word. He probably just misspoke.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Yea, he has no idea what he’s saying. I understand your confusion now. It confuses me just listening to it. At 4:35 he says the chaincase gear ratios are “quite a bit higher than the belt drive”. Then again at 5:30ish it gets more confusing.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Yea, he has no idea what he’s saying. I understand your confusion now. It confuses me just listening to it. At 4:35 he says the chaincase gear ratios are “quite a bit higher than the belt drive”. Then again at 5:30ish it gets more confusing.

I think some people look at gearing differently and that is where it gets confusing. A high ratio is lower final speed gearing and a low ratio is higher final speed gearing. Depends if he is referring to the ratio or the gearing as to what he really meant.

T
Nov 11, 2008

Like I said in my post, it’s not necessarily going to be an belt issue. Guys are already experiencing clearance issues running the QD2.
a8321a6b3bfef90664d07ac814822732.jpg

K
Nov 20, 2020
Like I said in my post, it’s not necessarily going to be an belt issue. Guys are already experiencing clearance issues running the QD2.
a8321a6b3bfef90664d07ac814822732.jpg

Oh sh1t!! Is this only on older sleds (I saw the rib that needs to be ground down on some to fit QD2) or could I have this issue on my ‘21?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The QD2 lower gear is about 1" larger diameter than the TKI lower gear. There will be damage to many belts this season if guys don't put a guard on.
The QD2 gear also is twice as sloppy on the shaft as the TKI.

Lower Gears.jpg

Premium Features