• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is QD2 geared down enough

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
So now that you guys have been riding with the new QD2, is it geared down enough or is there still a need for a gear down kit? I am snow checking an 850 RMK with the 2.75 165 track. It comes with the QD2 but is it enough. The main reason I ask is I am trying to make a budget for aftermarket goodies. Also does anybody know it the Kurts gear down for a 2015 pro 800 would fit on the new 850. I currently have a kurts gear down on my pro and if I can use it on the new 850, that allows for me to spend more on other goodies. Thanks

D

DV-ENT

Mar 27, 2009
Calgary
In my limited ride time on a friends 2021 kaos with the 2.75 Q2 165 its definitely an improvement over my 2019 rmk 850 163 2.6, this year I've gone to a 2020 rmk 850 163 and went with a kurts gear down and for the type of ridding I do I much prefer my sled being geared down even more than the Q2, I prefer tighter trees and more technical riding over open boondocking or long climbs. also I do not believe the kurts gear down from your pro will fit your axys. I will say the new 850s sure are nice with the all the changes they've made and they work very well.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Installed a Kurts on an 18 800/163 last year. Worked great. Have the QD2 on my 850/165 this year - Awesome !

Order your sled with the QD2 from the start. Nothing wrong with running "stock" gearing, until you go for a Turbo or otherwise.

Put your money into things that take more weight out of already lighter weight sled. Like titanium exhaust can from Diamond S and a lithium battery (if e-start). (the 2 together drop 25#)

Then go have fun !

E
Jan 20, 2011
cashmere washington
I have a 2021 165 qd2 and I think the gearing is perfect. I ride a lot of trees but still has the track speed to pull some good lines if needed. I never ran mine with the stock clutching but you can’t just gear down a sled and expect it to perform. I change out my helix and weights running the stock spring at 5000 to 6000 ft and it performs very well. We have another sled in our group that has the Kurt’s gear down and both are clutched the same and both feel very similar.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So I have spent a lot of time clutching the 850. It is very different animal then the 800. The 850 is softer on the bottom but when it hits it keeps pulling. The problem has been that my goal was to clutch around the fat bottom end and make it snappy. The fact that there was 4 flashes for my 2019 has kept me going back to the drawing board somewhat. The "fat" feeling really is noticeable coming downhill and in the tight trees. The progressive improvements in the flashes have helped a lot. Now I believe my 19 runs cleaner than my 21 when coming down a steep hill while engine braking. The lower gearing allows less load so the motor can clear the gargling faster when I punch the throttle. Running RPM's close to where the exhaust valves open makes this annoyance less noticeable too.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
So I have spent a lot of time clutching the 850. It is very different animal then the 800. The 850 is softer on the bottom but when it hits it keeps pulling. The problem has been that my goal was to clutch around the fat bottom end and make it snappy. The fact that there was 4 flashes for my 2019 has kept me going back to the drawing board somewhat. The "fat" feeling really is noticeable coming downhill and in the tight trees. The progressive improvements in the flashes have helped a lot. Now I believe my 19 runs cleaner than my 21 when coming down a steep hill while engine braking. The lower gearing allows less load so the motor can clear the gargling faster when I punch the throttle. Running RPM's close to where the exhaust valves open makes this annoyance less noticeable too.
How many miles and hrs on your 21 ?
I feel same way about my 20 over my 21 but I’m not sure it’s because of more time on the 20

E
Jan 20, 2011
cashmere washington
Awesome thanks guys, I planned on putting in a clutch kit anyways.
So I’m running 5000 to 6000 ft. Carl’s custom helix in the 62 42 40 setting (need to change rollers out to the ones from the 2020) boondocker high energy weights 62 gram with a #12 capsule. Also with this set up I have Patrick’s custom carbon lightened and balanced primary and secondary clutches and zrp lightweight rotating mass package this sled revs so fast but doesn’t over rev. Hitting 8300 and it’s pulling very hard. This clutch setup was recommended by Burandt. I’ve never had a sled that ran like this before.

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
So I’m running 5000 to 6000 ft. Carl’s custom helix in the 62 42 40 setting (need to change rollers out to the ones from the 2020) boondocker high energy weights 62 gram with a #12 capsule. Also with this set up I have Patrick’s custom carbon lightened and balanced primary and secondary clutches and zrp lightweight rotating mass package this sled revs so fast but doesn’t over rev. Hitting 8300 and it’s pulling very hard. This clutch setup was recommended by Burandt. I’ve never had a sled that ran like this before.

What do you run for clutching at 10000 feet?

Premium Features