• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gates G Force C12 Carbon Drive Belt

C
Dec 24, 2014
These belts working out on the axys? Thinking of grabbing one at least for a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they work on the Axys. I have at least a couple hundred miles on mine. My well broken in Polaris belt is the spare. The much cheaper Gates is my riding belt because when I wear it out they will replace it free!

C
Dec 24, 2014
Turns out I have to rescind my recommendation... My Gates exploded yesterday on the trail, on the way down the mountain. No warning, working fine, not riding hard and it exploded. The biggest piece left was about six inches long, the rest shrapnel and cords. Around 200 miles on the belt.

Back to the Poo belt and I think I will try the new part number Gates has for the Axys instead of the Pro Ride version next.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Not sure what is different with the new number but I will keep and eye out for it. I believe the size of the belt and profile is the same from the Pro to the Axys. The only difference in the Poo part number is the compound. Meaning one is harder than the other. So I am not sure what gates new Carbon part number will be different than the current Pro/Axys part number.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Anyone actually bought one of these new 45C belts yet? Being told these are not available north of the border. Please post a pic if you have one, thanks.

Only place I can even find them is one seller on ebay. None of my suppliers even show that part number yet. Going to try another one, I exploded a 44c in 2 rides but it worked awesome before it blew up. Eric

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Since the ProRide and the AXYS mountain sleds have the same dimension belts from the factory... I wonder what the difference is in the belts between the "old" 44C4553 and the "New" 45C4553.

Are they BOTH still made? ... OR... has the 45C superseded the 44C?

jeremyp111

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2009
New Hampshire
I ended up buying the new 45C4553 belt from ebay because I couldn't find it anywhere else. I'm not sure if they are going to phase out the 44C4553 belt or not but it worked great on my 15 RMK LE 800 last season and my 13 Switchback Assault the year before.

I have the older belt that I was planning on using as a spare but I'm going to put it on this weekend to break it in and see how it does. Hopefully it doesn't explode on me right away. LOL

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Since the ProRide and the AXYS mountain sleds have the same dimension belts from the factory... I wonder what the difference is in the belts between the "old" 44C4553 and the "New" 45C4553.

Are they BOTH still made? ... OR... has the 45C superseded the 44C?

They make both belts. They are a tad different dimension. I will have the measurements shortly. Dobeck has both belts in stock.
A reminder to carbon belt users, these are not the belts of old. You cannot turn them inside out, roll them up for storage, use them for ski brakes or abuse them. You will break the cords destroying the belt in return causing low mileage belt failures.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
So the axys belt holder is not a good idea for gates belt then, might explain my low belt life.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
They make both belts. They are a tad different dimension. I will have the measurements shortly. Dobeck has both belts in stock.
A reminder to carbon belt users, these are not the belts of old. You cannot turn them inside out, roll them up for storage, use them for ski brakes or abuse them. You will break the cords destroying the belt in return causing low mileage belt failures.

Mine came right out of the package, washed with hot soapy water, air dried and onto the sled. One solo ride to break it in, 20 miles of easy riding. Then I blew the belt apart of the second ride in deep powder. This was the 44c, have the 45c on the way. What should I do different next time? Eric

C
Dec 24, 2014
My 44C freaking exploded under light load on the road back to the truck. I wouldn't run that belt because when it goes, it REALLY goes. The foot well plate on the clutch side is all ballooned out after the 44c failure.

Never had a problem with the 44c on my Pro, in fact it was better than the Poo belt.

Now, I have 500 miles on the original belt and it still pulls hard so I am pretty sure the issue lies with the 44c belt and not my clutching.

Anxious to see if the 45c will be a viable alternative...

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
SRX.... I know you are a good wrench... need to ask... did you confirm your alignment, offset, and C-2-C on your sled?

Yep, all good there and my original belt has 500 miles on it and after comparing it to the 2 new 183 belts I bought its only worn about .020" so I dont have any wear issues going on. Eric

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The ProRide 44C belt is not compatible with the AXYS sleds because of the different sheave angles.

The 45C is the proper choice for the AXYS... Dobek has them... but not many more out there yet.

With the Gates Carbon belt... proper break in to "heat set" the belt is crucial to the belts lasting... Putting the belt on and "hammering the throttle" will probably wreak havoc with these belts according to my sources.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
This info should not to be construed as blaming anyone for their belt failure. It's information for proper carbon belt use/care and application.

If you have a primary with machined sheaves you should run the 45C belt. These are Indy Dan, Carl's, or any other proprietary machined sheave primary.

The 45C is the only Gates belt you should install on the AXYS.

Proper clutch alignment is also crucial here. Out of spec. offset stresses the carbon cords causing premature failures. For every one degree of, out of spec., belt offset returns an additional 30* to belt temp.

Belt break in is critical to the longevity of a carbon belt, a 10 minute heat soak of a new belt followed by a complete cool down should be adequate.

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
You cannot tell me that thing is better if anyone trying blows them up. So everyone trying is no good but the belt is.
If the belt is any good it has to be able to perform for the average Rider without any special procedures and Bull Imagined or real -- No Good Is not good that is what i got out of this and other treads.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
You cannot tell me that thing is better if anyone trying blows them up. So everyone trying is no good but the belt is.
If the belt is any good it has to be able to perform for the average Rider without any special procedures and Bull Imagined or real -- No Good Is not good that is what i got out of this and other treads.

If you read the last posts you would notice everyone that has a failure is using the incorrect belt with the wrong angles on it. I'd wait to pass judgement on it until you hear reports on the correct belt for the sled. I doubt everyone was "correctly" breaking in the other belt on the pros but most had great luck with it there. Sounds like a great idea to break it in right but I'm guessing the incorrect angles are the issue.

Premium Features