• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FYI-NORTHSTAR PERFORMANCE KIT

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
Just got done installing my kit. Thought I'd give a little insight. The stock piston clearance was .07 (which is tight for a cfi-2) new piston was .04. The new piston is about 1/3 of a inch taller. The extra case volume requires more fuel which make more power and a cooler piston. Win win.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Just got done installing my kit. Thought I'd give a little insight. The stock piston clearance was .07 (which is tight for a cfi-2) new piston was .04. The new piston is about 1/3 of a inch taller. The extra case volume requires more fuel which make more power and a cooler piston. Win win.

Thank you. I note that stock piston has good clearance and chalk it up to variables in production tolerances on either pistons and/or cylinder.

A "bird" told me the pistons were consistent but cylinder bore varies... This kind of leads me to believe you either have a good or bad case to work with.

Anyway, want to buy this kit and Kobe confirmed they have them in stock.
Only problem is communication.....
They have trouble with their connections or whatever so I dont get any replies on my e-mails. Get through on the phone but they are always so busy. Happy for them, but my own purchase has been on a standstill for a week or more :face-icon-small-fro

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
Thank you. I note that stock piston has good clearance and chalk it up to variables in production tolerances on either pistons and/or cylinder.

A "bird" told me the pistons were consistent but cylinder bore varies... This kind of leads me to believe you either have a good or bad case to work with.

They have trouble with their connections or whatever so I dont get any replies on my e-mails. Get through on the phone but they are always so busy. Happy for them, but my own purchase has been on a standstill for a week or more

What are you people smoking to be talking to all these birds? :face-icon-small-ton
I think you nailed it. Polaris specs on the piston gaps is up to .12. That much slop something is going to happen. Its the luck of the draw. My cylinders looked perfect. As for getting your kit from Northstar, be patient, shipping international orders are a MAJOR pain. But they will get her done.

Last edited:

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
They have trouble with their connections or whatever so I dont get any replies on my e-mails. Get through on the phone but they are always so busy. Happy for them, but my own purchase has been on a standstill for a week or more :face-icon-small-fro[/QUOTE]

Same here I called to order a kit only to find out Kobe didn't know if they accept PayPal. He was going find out and call me back that was 4 days ago still no call. I want one of these kits.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
They have trouble with their connections or whatever so I dont get any replies on my e-mails. Get through on the phone but they are always so busy. Happy for them, but my own purchase has been on a standstill for a week or more :face-icon-small-fro

Same here I called to order a kit only to find out Kobe didn't know if they accept PayPal. He was going find out and call me back that was 4 days ago still no call. I want one of these kits.[/QUOTE]

If it were me, id sit buy the phone and hit redial a hundred times until someone answers, that's wat I do with rk tech, I won't leave messages, get a human on the phone.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
Any updates on testing this kit with the boondocker fuel controller? Also i would have to install this kit myself. What would i all need to check before and after the install? I live in Iowa roughly 2800' elevation and take multiple trips west 8-10,000'. Do you have maps for both elevations and clutching set ups?

I have same question

H

hotshot

Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
Heres a little report from a literal birds eye view.....the kit kicks ***! I have an 11 with the 12 updates and this thing rocks. No vibration, pulling 8400 rpms (thinking of going to 1064 weights), and temps r 125 at the highest...... oh and I'm at the top of the hill.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

T

treedocker

Sep 1, 2010
sorry guys i have been so swamped here at work i haven't had time to sleep haha, but anyway i am trying to get back to all your pm's .

as of right now we are not messing with the boondocker box or the auto tune we are focusing on using the new 3.5 dobeck box and its working extremely well, we are having no issues with it and its cheaper than all the other boxes.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Had a bit of a fuel problem, stopped in to Northstar on Thursday and we switched out fuel controllers from the PCV to the Dobeck. Ran it yesterday and much cleaner and crisper, increased RPMs by 150 and felt stronger all thru the low to high range. They also noticed that my oil cap was not venting correctly and threw on a new one. The cap can get "clogged" if you fill your tank to the very top, which I have done a few times, preventing it from venting correctly. Thankfully they noticed that. Good thing that I add oil to the gas! I have found the customer service at Northstar to be top notch and I can tell that their customers to be happy and satisfied.

H

hotshot

Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
I have been riding mine now for about 3 weeks. I have over 200 miles without a single glitch. I'm very happy!

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
Nortstar Performance upgrade kit

What I would like to know how does the kit with head perform vs what I run which is the PAR 13:1 head and HPS can?
I know when I purchased the head it was suppose to have good midrange HP and torque increase, somewhere around 7-8 hp and at top end only about 4 hp increase.

I have to say the sled has more snap. Also stock I ran 62g weights with wot of 8150-8300 then with the head I went to 64g weights and now run 8000-8100 rpm.

So has anyone ran both to compare? Does the kit produce more power than just the PAR head?

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
Sure wish someone would use this kit on the CFI-4 so I didn't have to be the Guinea pig but it looks more and more like I'm gonna be.

Northstar is running there kit in the dragons with great success. Give them a call.

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
No, Northstar's Ultimate Outdoor's kit in Preston, ID. Different pistons, Head mod, dobeck box, timing key, shim cylinders kit. Best hp gain of all the drop in kits, but probably the most money. I got this kit in my Pro. Increased dependability compared to the other kits?... time will tell. But much better than stock. (which isn't hard to do).

Premium Features