• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel pick up issues going downhill?

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Anyone else have fuel pickup issues going down hill. Any thoughts to why? It really hasn't been a problem until my last couple of rides but its getting worse now. It doesnt happen all the time and seems to be worse if i stop and shut it off pointed down a decent slope then start it up and go again. It will just cough and sputter until i get to flat ground for a second and then be fine. Snopro 800 about 650-700 miles

CaptNCoke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edgewood, Wa
Fuel

My sled just started having a similar problem, except it is on hard pulls(climbing). It boggs out, like it is running out of fuel. One time I had to get it level to get it started....???????
I'm going to take hood off and check vent lines, etc...
Anyone else having issues??
800 SP, about 600 miles.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
A buddy of mine was just having the same issues. He took it to the dealer and they said he had a kinked line. Thats all the details I got.

B

BoxStock

Mar 25, 2008
Had a buddy that had problems. Not sure if they fixed it yet. Start running out of gas about 6 - 7 gallons down. I noticed mine when I was real low, running back down trail to lodge, every corner when I hit it the throttle it would bog slightly then come out of it.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
Same thing here...ran out a couple times going up hill. Fuel light is on and the crappy little gauge shows empty. Go to fill it up and it's 6 gallons and it's full. WTF!

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
It's a fuel pickup issue. It has been discussed in several treads in here since beginning of the season.
Cat has a service bullentin how to fix it if it occurs. Have to pull out fuel pick up assembly, split them, and drill a small hole in the one membran that not has a hole in it.

beturbo

Premium Member
Dec 9, 2007
had same issue, went to larry and arctic west and he gave me a sheet on how to fix. Front smart valve was installed wrong, mine runs like a dream now.

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
mine started doing this last ride as well, each time going up hill, gauge was reading "fuel" but i knew it had at least 3 gallons in the tank still, kept doing it for a bit, then all of a sudden it flashed "octane" on the way back to the truck..wtf?
i put about 9 gallons of fuel in it so it was low but still when it was cutting out on the hill it was an hour earlier so i knew it still had plenty of fuel to get back to truck, very frustrating!
whats the fix on the thingy (smart valve) the other dude mentioned???

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Hmmm. There may be more than one problem out there causing this issue then.

That was not my issue but one step at a time.

CaptNCoke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edgewood, Wa
what was your issue?
I dont like having my "cat" being the "problem sled" of the group.
Usually "that" sled doesnt have an Arctic, or a Cat in its name........just say'n...

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Same crap at half a tank but mine would completely run out of fuel in a long climb even with 3/4 of a tank. Always restarted up for me after about 20 pulls and being level.

Read about a fix the turbos were doing after adding boost. It had you put in a T before the front smart valve and swap the front valve with the rear vented valve.

No probs since right down to 3 liters left (whew, note to self, bigger tank next year).

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Not trying to stir the pot here. I was under the assumption that Cat and Poo used the same "smart" valve pickup system. The screen that is in the bottom is supposed to filter out any water that is in the tank and keep it from being picked up into the motor. Also, I had mine out about a month ago. Quite simple, I'm not sure how they would have been installed/assembled wrong.

Premium Features