• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Float Air Shock Rear Skid - air sleeve service 2010 M8

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I did the air sleeve service on my 2010 M8 rear Fox Float.

I wasn’t sure whether to add a little shock fluid to the top of the piston before screwing the air sleeve on. It didnt appear to have any fluid upon disassembly but I thought I should add a little just for a feel good thing because I felt it couldnt hurt much to have a little lube on those parts.

The reason I didnt know is the instructions on the Fox site said to consult the setup sheet for the shock and I couldnt find a setup sheet.

Anyone know where I can find the setup sheet or whether I should have added more oil or not added any oil at all?

Also, I wasnt paying attention to the orientation of the nitrogen fill valve orifice which has the white ball looking thing in it so upon installation I oriented the ball facing down figuring it would be less likely to be damaged. Does it matter whether it faces up or down?

Z
Dec 6, 2007
Edmonton
I have this in my files:

1. Let the pressure out of the air chamber.
2. Clamp the shock eyelet that has the Schrader valve by it in a vise with aluminum jaws.
3. Unscrew the air sleeve (black part) from the end that is clamped in the vise. These are only supposed to be hand tight, but sometimes it takes a rubber strap wrench to get them loose. Kind of like a spin-on oil filter.
4. Slide the air sleeve off the end of the shock.
5. Clean parts and replace seals.
6. Lubricate new seals with Float Fluid. Get this when you get your seals from your Cat dealer or from a Fox service dealer. The most economical way to by it is in a small pint-sized jug, but it is offered in "pillow packs" that have the right amount in a disposable tube.
7. Slide the air sleeve back on almost all the way.
8. Add 5cc, or one pillow pack, of Float Fluid into the air chamber.
9. screw the air sleeve back on. Hand tight only.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Thanks ZRrrr. I will take the shock off and put some oil in it. Fox just told me it doesn't matter what oil as long as it is a good oil. Regular oil, shock oil, fork oil, their oil. It is just to keep the seals lubricated. He said they add oil to every Float they service. I've got some 5w fork oil I will add.

He said over time the oil disappears because it is lubricating the seals and leaves a fine film on the shock. After 4200 miles and 10 years, mine didn't appear to have much oil remaining.

He also said the orientation of the nylon ball didn't matter as long it doesn't contact anything.

In the future, I will be doing the air sleeve service at least every 1,000 miles or every few years. Very easy to do.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The Cat manuals used to say to perform the air sleeve maintenance annually. That's what I try to stick to unless I had a really low mile season.

Premium Features