• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Float 2 - Can't Remove Air Canister Body

N
Sep 14, 2014
I bought a used 12 M800 and I assume the old owner never serviced the shocks. I tried to remove the air body with a strap wrench and it wont budge. Ended up breaking my strap wrench. I tried using the vice of bicycle work stand as well as torching the cap where the threads are and it still wont budge. Does any one have any advice? I most likely wrecked a seal when torching it. It still holds air fine, but I would like to get them open to service them.

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
You definitely need some way to grip the air sleeve properly, most shops use a machined delrin clamp etc... Heat gun (not torch) on the cap, then tap around the cap with a small hammer might help loosen it. I had the same thing happen on the inner cap (oil side) and the genius that was in there before me used loctite on it.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Gripping as close to the joint you are trying to get apart seems to help rather than trying a few inches away. If the threads have started to corrode some penetrating oil might help.

I'm sure you've already done this, but double check that all the pressure has been let out of the air sleeve and the shrader core is out.

N
Sep 14, 2014
I should try to find some machined clamps I guess.

Yeah I've tried penetrating oil and I've made sure all the air is out by removing the inlet valve. For now I've used a syringe with a tiny tube to slowly inject some float fluid into them.

Premium Features