• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Evol with Zbroz 38" Uppers

B
Feb 11, 2020
Can't find the definite answer via searching. I have a 2013 HCR w/ the stock Evol's. Am I correct in thinking that you can put the Zbroz 38" upper a-arms and stock lowers without changing the shocks out?

Also are 16 spindles different from 17?

Any info on this conversion i'd be grateful for. Thanks

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I had a 14, I put the zbroz 38” uppers on it. I didnt do anything to my shocks. Pretty sure those are the same spindles and shock lengths.
I also put 16 spindles on at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The z bros 38 in upper was designed so guys could run the 16+ spindles on the older proclimb M's. The hcr had a 42 in ski stance, there are 3/4 inch spacers that can be put in the shocks to shorten the stroke but if I remember correctly they only allow you to narrow your stance by 2 inches. If you want to go to a 38 in ski stance with the newer spindle your prob going to need new shocks new upper and lower a arms and the spindles

B
Feb 11, 2020
Thanks, this was my concern as I've read about it before. But then I also saw a post about someone running Evol's with this setup, no mention of that year or model of PC, or aftermarket Evol's.

Figured with the popularity of the conversion over the years I could find someone who has lived it and could provide a definitive. Don't mind getting Float 2 but if I can keep the better shock, I would prefer it.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The z bros 38 in upper was designed so guys could run the 16+ spindles on the older proclimb M's. The hcr had a 42 in ski stance, there are 3/4 inch spacers that can be put in the shocks to shorten the stroke but if I remember correctly they only allow you to narrow your stance by 2 inches. If you want to go to a 38 in ski stance with the newer spindle your prob going to need new shocks new upper and lower a arms and the spindles
This is correct. You will need to change your lower arms to match the 38" upper, get your shocks cut down or new set, and new tie rods. The 2016 and 2017 spindles are the same.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I forgot to say if you did get your shocks cut down I'm pretty confident the evol chamber would clear the upper zbroz arm. I have them on my sled and a large, full size reservoir on a piggy back shock nearly cleared. So the smaller evol chamber should clear no problem.

B
Feb 11, 2020
Thanks man, this is the nitty gritty info I was looking for. Do you know any send away services that would cut/rebuild them?

Or if I start looking for other shocks, I am looking for 17.25" eye-to-eye correct?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
17.1" length and 5.1" stroke is spec length for 38" front ends, but I've been running a set with 17.3" length and 5.3" stroke for several years now.

B
Feb 11, 2020
Thanks again that is the info I needed. I am looking at some Evol 3’s but idk. What a pain to convert the HCR, at least the track was already swapped.

Premium Features