• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Forest Circus plan for Black Hills

O
Jan 30, 2011
Black Hills
So did anyone else notice the front page story in Monday's Rapid City Journal about the new plan for possible limitations being placed on off-trail snowmobile travel in the Black Hills forest and I would assume forest lands across the entire country ? What are everyone else's thoughts on this ? I guess my only regret is not getting rid of a couple of sleds two years ago when I first heard about this because if it goes bad for off-trail riding you will not be able to give them away, at least my sleds are old enough that they don't owe me much. Wow just think what that would do for the mountain sled market after all the time, money and technology the manufacturers have put into that segment lately. I know our family will be done riding if we are relegated to trails, we gave that up many years ago because of so many near collisions with high speed trail bums and besides riding trails, for me, is like driving to work.

JW

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
O'Neill, NE
I am not from Rapid so I didn't hear a thing about this till now. I sure hope we the people get to have a say in this as well as the people who depend on sledding for their income also. This would be huge!!!!!!!!!!!! Please keep us outsiders posted on any updates. Thanks. Although if it is up to the clowns in Washington, mainly the potus, we the people means nothing.

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Its nation wide, Or...

should i just say the western states. Funny how a few green faced east coast environazis are taking control of all the once public land and doing what they want with it. They have no OPPOSITION, so they run amuck, changing laws at will and unknowingly to the public. It is really too bad that the sledding community has let this slip through our fingers. I think that the next generation will be strictly regulated to groomed trails just like yellowstone natl. park. so that will be the end of mountain riding as we know it. Sorry for the rant, It shouldn't really matter to me as i have no kids to pass sledding on to. But, I would like to see my friends that have kids (and will have kids) have the same opportunities that we have had to explore the once public lands that we are going to loose.

O
Jan 30, 2011
Black Hills
Suck the Fun

Amazing isn't it how government (be it national or local) can pretty much "suck the fun" out of whatever it comes in contact with. Some of the things that we did as adolescents and young adults back in the day that were considered good clean fun would land you in jail as a terrorist or cost you your vehicle, your guns, your insurance and (god forbid) your credit rating now. If we got caught hunting jackrabbits at night 30 miles from anywhere the sherriff would more than likely suggest that we knock it off and go home get some sleep so we could combine corn the next day or do something else useful, LOL, now it would be money in the budget baby, no passes for anyone. This rant is over but I'm sure there will be another one.

Last edited:

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I see it as a foot in the door for "them" and giving them an inch will likely lead to many more "Stay on Trails", "No motorized vehicles", signs all over the Hills. I'd like to see skiers get to some of the places we do, I've been riding the Hills for 20 years and the ONLY skiers I've ever seen have been on the TRAIL.... I don't recall a movement to prohibit skiers from snowmobile trails.??

Page 1.

Page 2.

O
Jan 30, 2011
Black Hills
I am not from Rapid so I didn't hear a thing about this till now. I sure hope we the people get to have a say in this as well as the people who depend on sledding for their income also. This would be huge!!!!!!!!!!!! Please keep us outsiders posted on any updates. Thanks. Although if it is up to the clowns in Washington, mainly the potus, we the people means nothing.

The FS will hold meetings and take comments from the lowly taxpayers but in the end they will probably follow the environmentalist line. It will take a few years but my bet is that at some point down the line snowmobiling in the Black Hills (and all other FS lands) will be relegated to groomed trails only. I swear our government will not be happy until we are all locked in our government supplied living cubicles with a feeding tube attached to us which they control. Sorry I gotta go, I think I hear a helicopter hovering over my house and--------yup, its black......

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Are any you of SDSA or local club members? there will be meetings and public input on any changes but as of right now nothing big coming.

weelbodj

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2011
South Dakota Snowmobile Association

I just arrived home from the 35th Annual Governor's Ride in the Balck Hills. SDSA invites our SD legislators to the Hills each year to share first hand the sport we all love so much. This is a fun time and enables us to discuss the ongoing issues we are facing within ALL National Forests with the folks working for us. When people talk about NOT having a voice in the ongoing battle, ACSA (American Council of Snowmobile Associations) along with SDSA and other State Associations are spearheading the VOICE of snowmobilers across the nation. Our associations NEED your help to contniue the battle. Please consider joining a local snowmobile club, SDSA, and ACSA to ensure your VOICE is heard in continuing battle. Visit http://www.snowmobilesd.com/ and http://www.snowmobilers.org/ to join. The more members we have...the LOUDER OUR VOICE!! Please help keep the tradition of public access open to our children and grandchildren!! dug

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I spent 3 days this weekend working with 2 local FS Officers. The topic of the travel management plan was brought up. I relayed the concerns I have been hearing from snowmobilers and local trail businesses I deal with on a day to day basis. They stated the intent of the BH forest supervisor is to keep the travel management plan at status quo. We did spend quite a bit of time off trail. We did check some of the cross country ski borders and found very little encroachment from snowmobilers and saw no skiers. We checked several snowmobilers responsibly enjoying riding the back areas. They got stuck a few times. They got to see the advantage of equipment such as the sno-bunje, folding saw and the left hand throttle. They also got some seat time on our Summits and were amazed at how much better they handled off trail than the Yamaha Apex. The only Law Enforcement issue they dealt with was a rental operator renting from a FS parking lot without a permit. They found no other law enforcement issues or concerns over the holiday weekend.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I spent 3 days this weekend working with 2 local FS Officers. The topic of the travel management plan was brought up. I relayed the concerns I have been hearing from snowmobilers and local trail businesses I deal with on a day to day basis. They stated the intent of the BH forest supervisor is to keep the travel management plan at status quo. We did spend quite a bit of time off trail. We did check some of the cross country ski borders and found very little encroachment from snowmobilers and saw no skiers. We checked several snowmobilers responsibly enjoying riding the back areas. They got stuck a few times. They got to see the advantage of equipment such as the sno-bunje, folding saw and the left hand throttle. They also got some seat time on our Summits and were amazed at how much better they handled off trail than the Yamaha Apex. The only Law Enforcement issue they dealt with was a rental operator renting from a FS parking lot without a permit. They found no other law enforcement issues or concerns over the holiday weekend.

Well, if they don't want that land set aside just for them.....:eyebrows::eyebrows:

Premium Features