• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

forced air intake for turbos?

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i know i've seen one on here at one time or another. i want to say it was sps or ovs that had it... it mounts to the hood and forces cold fresh ambient air down to the turbo intake? anybody have any more info cuz i need one!

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Although I'm not a Polaris guy I will keep my eyes and ears open for you. I'm looking into having a dedicated fresh air vent built for my turbo XP kits. We are looking at mesh style vents with whatever design and on the inside, then it will funnel into a 3" nipple to hook our hose to and then the intake of the turbo.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Kinz...

What is the issue??? Are you running out of fresh air?

Fire N Ice had set up SPS and HM turbos with a fresh air ducting/intake from the cowl area...
With a their headlight intake setup, it would give good amounts of fresh air.

Problem is, It wont fit your BD install.

What do you have for vents right now? What is in the stirrup area?

FNI has a Hi-Flow shock tower vent that has more area to it than most
09PSTVH%20hiflo%20shock%20tower%20vent.jpg

Also a hi-flow stirrup vent setup.
07PSVH%20hiflo%20stirrup%20vent2.jpg
IMG%200005.JPG

Just dont go water skipping with the shock tower vents installed uncovered.

Is the Outewears filter on the BD intake "strainer" at all oily or dirty?

RPM composites has a scoop for the XP. Is that what you saw?
XP_VentHoodDeflector2.jpg

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Just thinking out loud here......with all the issues trying to keep an intake area clear of snow on a normally aspirated setup, how much more trouble will that be with even more air being drawn in by a turbo?? Multiple intake sources are likely a better choice IMO. I hear of issues in the deep with the "cold air intakes"....or perhaps those issues have been addressed?

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
k well heres the scoop. right now my sled looks like this

w/ this hood set up and intake out the hood i can run big boost (12-14lbs) at charge temps of 160 degrees even in spring weather. however this is only my spring hood. i have a full arcticFX wrap coming for my other hood and tunnel. i am looking into using the fire and ice headlight delete/vent kit and making a forced air intake from that down to the turbo, even if i just routed some tubing to blow cold air into that area of the hood i think it would work great. as far as venting goes... i have slp shock tower vents, stirrup vents, back side pannel vents, 2cool air vents on the side pannels. with the new boost controller coming out i just want to be able to run 250ish hp all the time and not have to worry about charge temps, which will take ambient air to the turbo to accomplish

Y
Sep 6, 2008
WORLD
www.brani.org
i can remember you got a really good looking sled!
what is happened?

k well heres the scoop. right now my sled looks like this

w/ this hood set up and intake out the hood i can run big boost (12-14lbs) at charge temps of 160 degrees even in spring weather. however this is only my spring hood. i have a full arcticFX wrap coming for my other hood and tunnel. i am looking into using the fire and ice headlight delete/vent kit and making a forced air intake from that down to the turbo, even if i just routed some tubing to blow cold air into that area of the hood i think it would work great. as far as venting goes... i have slp shock tower vents, stirrup vents, back side pannel vents, 2cool air vents on the side pannels. with the new boost controller coming out i just want to be able to run 250ish hp all the time and not have to worry about charge temps, which will take ambient air to the turbo to accomplish

S

schmitt

Mar 27, 2008
WI
Kinzer what did you use for the elbow off the turbo to run the filter up?? Just some rubber hose from like a napa, are you going to be running it like that all year around? Do you have the bd intercooler??

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
The only issues we've seen with the cold air/headlight intakes were in the real fine champagne powder-fire-n-ice added a pre-filter to the headlight screens and problem solved. I still run mine with the original open screen intake-noticed a little ice build up on the secondary screen in the intake tube itsself while in Afton,WY earlier this year-never did cause a running issue though.I believe plentiful cold air is what keeps the aerochargers alive-they rely on cooler intake air to control turbo temps-no liquid cooling like some of the automotive kits.Also believe that alot of the reed failures are from excessive charge temps that begin with underhood intakes.

curt

Last edited:
Can you just cut a hole in your other hood and leave the pre-filter intake sticking out of the hood like you have this one? I would think that would solve your intake temperature issues to be able to run higher boost. Granted it wouldn't look the best, but it would be functional. I rode a turbo dragon this year with a setup like that in the deep powder and never had any issues for the couple of days I rode it. I thought it would plug up all day long, but it was exactly opposite - it worked very well IMO.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
yeah... it may come down to that too... i just dont want to chop up my other hood if i dont have too. but having the intake throught the hood does get the coolest charge temps. no i dont have the mini intercooler.... i have ridden 4 sleds that do and they all have more lag than mine so i dont want one. the deal that curt has going into his aero is what i was thinkin of... something along those lines to run down the inside of the hood and dump right in front of the pipe. YETims... this is my spring riding set up so that when i roll my sled i dont cry watching it flip end over end destroying the hood. i'll post some pics up in a couple weeks w/ the new vinyl wrap on my other hood.

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
Kinzer, I have an idea that I have been thinking about but haven't tried it yet. Here it is: use the snorkel you have now but cut it down so it only sticks out of the hood about a inch or so. Then put on the right side carbon fiber intake cover that RPM composites sells. The one that Mountainhorse posted a picture of.

This should allow you to get fresh air and you put your wrap over the intake cover and it might blend in. You could also add a secondary screen on the inside of the carbon cover.

The only thing I don't know is, how this will look on a Polaris and if the RPM carbon cover is big enough to cover the 3" perf intake snorkel.

I have also been thinking about making a custom one out of carbon using this idea but haven't done that yet either.

The other option I see is to use the Fire n Ice headlight vent and turbo cold air intake and then try to route a tube from it to your turbo. I think SPS might have something for their Garret kits but can't remember if their turbos point forward or not. If so this might be close enough to retro fit to your boondocker kit.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Kinz... did the 4 other sleds with the mini intercooler have the same numbers in the box, run the same ocatane gas and run the same boost as yours?

Were they identical in clutching, gearing and track as well????
(sincere questions)

Percieved lag can be from many diff things.

IMO, Chassis setup and getting the turbo & box "dialed in" seems to be what makes the Turbos work or not.

Have a look at the Cutler setups and the SPS turbos with Aero and Automotive turbos for ideas on ducting for your cold air intake... I'm sure you will come up with something.

Good luck my friend... I'll be coming up to your neck of he woods for some riding lessons next season.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Anthony, with the rear facing inlet to your turbo, you should be able to adapt the Fire N Ice turbo intake that HM turbos is using on their kits (as shown in the Curts pic)
It should be a clean install, but looks a bit tight near the back.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

09PTIA%20aerochgr%20cold%20air%20intake.jpg

OR

The SPS/FNI cowl-hood intake
DragonTurbo1.jpg
DragonTurbo2.jpg

------

Kinz, the problem with the ducting on the front facing turbo inlet is that you have to go over the pipe to duct the air... as you probably have seen already.

Looking at this BD Turbo pic from the topside, I dont think it would be too difficult to make up some ducting to use the FNI/Aero/HM intake setup. Paul sells these parts individually.

59d695af.jpg

Looks like you install the FNI intake and headlight intake, and make up a flexible OR silicone intake/aluminum mandrel bends and you would also have a clean install.

SPS/FNI hood inside
dt6.jpg

UAT180-X.jpg

Cutlers setup on an M8 (?? idea for ducting ?? )
garrett_turbo2.JPG

Last edited:
A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Eric. The problem I see with that is that my turbo is mounted further back in the chasis than those other kits. Not sure how that would work without totally relocating or moving forward the turbo.....similar to what SPS has done.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
The SPS/FNI cowl-hood intake

is kind of what i had in mind... i dont see why i couldnt take something like that and put it in front next to the pipe like i have my out of the hood set up and then just build a small sheet metal funnel from the fire n ice headlight delete down to it. or maybe just set it up to where it comes up right below the hood.... make a cut on the hood like a hood scoop that comes up a little bit and catches cold air that way? i dunno... i have all summer to figure this out but i'll hopefully come up w/ something

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Kinzer what did you use for the elbow off the turbo to run the filter up?? Just some rubber hose from like a napa, are you going to be running it like that all year around? Do you have the bd intercooler??

I went to the local truck shop and they had an elbow that fit up to the intake basket... than just used a piece of 3" hose to extend it up and out of the hood. i dont really want to leave it out of the hood other than in spring weather unless i have too... but if if it comes down to it i will.

Premium Features