• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Flushing tranny on a Mega

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
07 Mega with a 68RFE trans, need to change the fluid in it and I'd really like to flush it all out the old fashioned way....but that doesn't look as easy as it was back in the 90's with how they place the hoses and the connections they use.

Anyone have any experiences with this? Tried the cummins forum and 1 guy said that he heard not to flush any transmission because it moves the crap around inside the tranny and causes damage.:confused:

I've flushed them on all the vehicles I've had over the years and have yet to have a tranny failure, so I'm not sure what he's referring to. I do know that if you wait to do the until 100k or so then the varnish inside can get washed off and plug up some ports or something like that.

Treebuster

Premium Member
Feb 14, 2009
Well, Ive got an 03 Cummins and its been flushed every year from new. I now have 136,000 miles on her and shes still running strong. I was always told that I'd have problems if I didn't do it.

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
I had the Tranny completely flushed on my 04.5 Cummins at 105,000 miles, I believe it took about 17 quarts. Every year my tranny's get the pan dumped, filter and oil replaced. My 07 Cummins is at 65,000 miles and I just had the tranny completely flushed two month's ago. Definetly worth the money.

BTW, these are 48RE's in my trucks!

Last edited:

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
Mine is a 6.7, has the 68RFE. At least that's what the dealer told me.

Got started on it tonight, something went terribly wrong.... wont move at all now. Never did get the flush part of it started, dropped the pan and changed the filter and refilled it, pulled the bottom cooler line (I was told that was the return line) and started it up and could not get anything out of the cooler line and it wouldn't go into gear. Screwed the cooler line back in and still nothing, acts like the fluid isn't circulating.

bart0678

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
wrong the new trans on the 6.7 is the AS68RC

CAUTION: The AS68RC Transmission uses a unique automatic transmission fluid. MOPAR® AS68RC ATF is the only recommended fluid. Failure to follow this caution will result in damage to the transmission.

Hope you used this fluid or you have a stealership to chew out and new parts to buy....

adam

S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
It is definitly a 68 RFE if it has a 6.7 and is a Mega. The Asin tranny is in the Cab and Chassis. Check out cumminsforum.com Post in the powertrain section of the 6.7 area and you will have tons of people helping you.

The verdict there for most is to not do a full flush. Most guys are doing exactly what you did.

There is very specific oil called for by Dodge on the 68 RFE. Some guys are running other types with good luck but can't recall exactly what they are.

Sapling

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
I've been to Cummins forum, that's where I found out which line to take off cause the ones up on the cooler are not accessible. It takes ATF+4 rated oil and people are using everything from Dodge to Royal purple.

I'm going out to drop the pan and see if the filter neck isn't shoved all the way up or something not allowing the flow, bet there is a screw holding that up so I doubt that's the issue.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
All is well. The gasket for the filter that came with the kit would not hold the filter up tight enough to allow oil to flow so it was not circulating. I put the old gasket on and it held it goodntite and now it moves.

Just hope that running it for a few minutes with no circulation did any damage? I would assume not since the torque converter was still full....

Premium Features