• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fellow snowmobiler critically injured - He Needs Our Help!!

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I would ask the administrator staff to formally make this a sticky for awhile.

I know there is another thread on this, but I wanted to start a formal thread with all the pertinent information in the first posting.

As some of you folks on here have heard me talking abut a friend of mine Ron Spychalla (Spy-halla) was critically injured a few weeks ago in a sledding accident on The St. Croix River, near Stillwater, MN

He was having a cook out with his family and friends on an island just north of Stillwater. After the cook out, he was ferrying people and gear back to the parking lot on his snowmobile, and he was running up the river, making another trip when he hit a stump sticking out of the snow on the river.

He was estimated to be going 60-80 mph at the time. He hit the stump very near where his family (14, 12 y/o kids and wife) and friends were watching him return.

He was life-flighted to a hospital in the twin cities and is still there today. He will likely be there for at least another month.

This guy is a complete family man, great guy, and his life has catastrophically changed forever.

His injuries were:
Head seperated from his spine
Pelvis crushed and seperated from his spine
Back broken in three places
Neck broken
Many internal injuries
Body parts amputated

I dont say this to be graphic, I say this to attempt to communicated the unbelievable extent of his injuries.

You can get updates on him and read his daughters' and wifes' updates to his condition.

This guy is totally and completely screwed financially. He has health insurance, but there is not way that will even come close to covering expenses, or his future income needs. His house will need to be revamped to accomodate his new situation when he gets home.

I ask you a couple of things:
1. Please pray for Ron and his family.
2. Please pray for Ron and his family
3. Please pray for Ron and his family
4. Click this link http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/ronaldspychallaand read about this guy and what he has gone through, and you can get a hint of what wha tis in store for him
5. Please donate any amount you can to help him. Any amount is truly appreciated.

I just went to the bank today and opened up a benefit account for him.

If you can donate, please do:

Ronald Spychalla Benefit fund
Central Bank
3670 East County Line Road
White Bear Lake, MN 55110
Bank phone number is (651)426-6348

I have a Paypal account Clematiscrazy@gmail.com if you would rather go the Paypal route.

Only hours after I put this up, there is alread several hundred dollars in the paypal account. WOW!! you people are truly amazing!

6. Spread the word about this man, and let others know about him.

7. If anyone has ANY experience with putting on a benefit of this type, I could use all the help I can. I am thinking about a silent auction in a month or so and a spagetti feed somewhere.

I want to take my time and get this benefit "right". There is really only one chance to do this, and I want to get as many dollars in the Spychalla family's hands as I can. If you can help with advice, please let me know!! (PM me!!)

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS, and PLEASE PRAY FOR THIS FAMILY!!

Jeff Comfort
White Bear Lake, MN

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Ill send some money Jeff hopefully others follow so his wife may have one less thing to worry about .

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Wow. That is too bad. I hope that things turn out as best as they can. If I only had something to give other than well wishes. My best goes out to him and his family. :brokenheart::brokenheart:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Benefit Information

First of all, THANK YOU to all of you who donated your prayers and dollars!

WE have a LONG way to go, but my faith in my fellow sledders is stronger than ever!

Ok, the benefit for Ron will be on April 10, 2010 at the Withrow Ballroom in Withrow, MN (NE suburb of the Twin Cities, NE of White Bear Lake)

It will be from 2pm-12am

Cost is $10 per person, and that will include food.

Also, there will be:

Cash Bar
Music
Dancing
Silent Auction
Cash Bar
Raffle
Various other fundraising items, and great fun for all!

We can use SILENT AUCTION ITEMS!!

We have already received a fantastic cabin retreat in Northern Michigan for four people for two nights.

If anyone has silent auction items that you would like to donate, please PM me and I will give you my address to send the items.

Thanks again people!!

Jeff Comfort
Mahtomedi, MN

Last edited:
P
Dec 10, 2007
Jeff,

I posted this on another forum (not the one that gets blocked) but I do not want to put the url here, just in case SW gets offended.

I have gotten responses from a couple of people who own rental properties in the snow belt of the Midwest that would like to donate free stays at their locations.

I sent you a PM on one of them. There are others that can be viewed at the site I sent in the PM.

Thanks.

Premium Features