• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fatality in Cooke

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
These avy reports leave a heavy heart.

If you see a group doing something unsafe please stop and try to educate them. I have done this many times and have been met with comments from "Thanks, we didn't know" to "F***off man, mind your own business". But you must try. If we can educate one group at a time, it will propagate.
I don't like doing recoveries.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I think Chewy was spot on with his posts. Is it harsh? You bet, but would we rather get someone thinking and save a life, or worry about hurting someone's feelings. I remember when I was that age and now have kids that age. You are fearless and think nothing can happen to you. I was totally stupid when I started riding the mountains 17 years ago. We did dumb stuff and never thought twice. The difference back then is I don't think there was the info there is now. We also had sleds that didn't go anywhere near the sleds these days can go. I feel bad for all involved in this tragedy. The mountains are dangerous and need to be respected.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
I agree chewy you were absolutely right. So many mistakes made. Whether it be from over confidence, or lack of education only the people involved know. The question is as a sledding community how do we help reduce occurances. Of course further education but those of us that have some need to further it and most importantly apply it. We need to respect the mountain and take an aggressive approach to current conditions while being humble on the hill. Now the dilemma - How to reach the masses that are new to mountain sleds and backcountry riding. Those that don't know about sw or similar forums and that have never heard of avalanches but are determined to ride in them.
It's tough and my heart goes out to all who have been lost. I will do anything I can to help awareness prior to entering the backcountry. I think that may be the answer to reducing fatalities. We can't control decisions riders ultimately make but we can help control knowledge.
I don't know... Is it a terrible idea to include some type of avalanche awareness dvd with the sale of any mountain sled from a dealer?

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
My deepest sympathy goes out to the victum and his family, this was a sad situation and very sad to hear.

Was Chewy harsh? Yes he was. Was Chewey spot on with his post? You're damn right he was!!! It makes me sick to my stomach to hear why this preventable situation even happened. This is one of the first things they teach in an avalanche class ONE PERSON ON THE HILL AT A TIME and if the avy danager is hi STAY OFF THE HILLS!!! I am sorry but I dont care who you are, where you are from or how old you are it frustrates the hell out of me that people go to Cooke or let alone out west without proper gear and training. Not only are you putting yourself in danager you are putting everyone around you in danger. Mother Nature could care less about anything and she will take your life with the blink of an eye so why not try and be one step ahead of her and play in the back country with the proper tools and skills you need to do that. I am not talking to just the people in MN, SD, or ND I am talking to anyone that rides in the back country so if you come out here or you live here please use the resources avaible to all of us and be prepared with awareness and the proper tools to stay alive.

You guys will probably bash me for my words, but if they save a life then I got my point across....

Last edited:

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
My deepest sympathy goes out to the victum and his family, this was a sad situation and very sad to hear.

Was Chewy harsh? Yes he was. Was Chewey spot on with his post? You're damn right he was!!! It makes me sick to my stomach to hear why this preventable situation even happened. This is one of the first things they teach in an avalanche class ONE PERSON ON THE HILL AT A TIME and if the avy danager is hi STAY OFF THE HILLS!!! I am sorry but I dont care who you are, where you are from or how old you are it frustrates the hell out of me that people go to Cooke or let alone out west without proper gear and training. Not only are you putting yourself in danager you are putting everyone around you in danger. Mother Nature could care less about anything and she will take your life with the blink of an eye so why not try and be one step ahead of her and play in the back country with the proper tools and skills you need to do that. I am not talking to just the people in MN, SD, or ND I am talking to anyone that rides in the back country so if you come out here or you live here please use the resources avaible to all of us and be prepared with awareness and the proper tools to stay alive.

You guys will probably bash me for my words, but if they save a life then I got my point across....

I agree with you and chewy completely. My first emotion was anger Quickly followed by sympathy, pain, and remorse. Now I am full of questions. WHY? We are preaching to ourselves here. I just wish there is a way to effectively reach out to those who are not familiar with avalanche awareness. It's one thing to know and understand the risks and take the chances anyway but completely different to be totally nieve and unaware of the risk your taking. Mike Duffy's class was a life changer, maybe a life saver, for me as well as many others, but how do we reach out further to those without experience?

Maybe a group traveling out west for their first every mountain ride stumbles across these threads while searching for places to ride and has their eyes opened to the dangers, but I have to believe there is a more effective way to reach riders on purpose even if they don't realize it. Guardian Angels!

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
Condolences to those involved. Can't imagine the grief and pain to all involved--just for a weekend with some buds on the snow.
Many have said that the masses need to be reached with education. How is that done? Although a DVD with the purchase of a sled is a good idea and can't cost but pennies I don't think that is enough. I like the idea of some type of training card. Something similar to "boater safety" or "hunters ed card". Although I feel an avy refresher needs to be a yearly occurrence, a one time education that you have to have before you buy tabs/registration for your sled.
Another item that might work is to offer education and avy equipment as a package deal from a dealer/manufacturer. Sled + avy gear + education for $______. Or purchase the sled and the education is mandatory as part of the purchase. Gear at a reduced price if purchased with the sled--make it almost "stupid" to not purchase the gear.
Just my thoughts--would love to hear more.
All this said--I'm praying for no more avy deaths this year!

BigT

O
Dec 6, 2007
You can't be careful enough this year! I hate to do it but I'm selling my sled and not because I'm scared of getting caught in a slide but when i ride now i can't have fun because of the constant fear.if that makes any sense.i had more fun when i was oblivious to the danger.my .02
Again my heart pours out for everyone affected in this tradgedy and everyother one across the west.
Jason

Ironic how you behave so differently in this thread...

Fact is, you can very easily avoid Avy terrain. You don't have to be so scared you are ready to quit. Just make better choices

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Man

Been a tough week in Cooke.........

http://billingsgazette.com/news/loc...cle_ea252637-d76f-57d0-afd7-135d4074dc26.html - thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends, RIP!!!!!!

More education and getting the word out is key. I highly highly recommend Mike Duffy's course if you ever have the opportunity. His course is worth every penny. Any course is worth it.

A think everyone's suggestions are great. Anything would be better then nothing. I think as a sport and industry the manufacturers can be doing more to promote the importance of backcountry safety.

I think everyone involved in this sports needs to take it upon themselves to promote and education everyone you can. Because if we don't, the damn government might jump in and that is not what anyone wants. The community already deals with enough political BS.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
I like the theory of mandatory class with purchase of a sled but the problem is there are a Lot of flatland era that by mountain machines that never ride in Avy terrain or in the mountains at all. Not sure how they would feel about a required class. It is hard to require something with out infringing on rights. Lord knows we right every year to protect our rights as a sledding community. I agree duffy's class is fantastic and I take it every chance I get as a refresher and always pick up something new. Most of the time I bring friends that have never gone or are planning their first trip to the mountains. I refuse to ride with anyone who doesn't have gear but they also need to know how to use it. Question is as strangers how do we have an impact on first time mnt riders traveling from a distance-flat landers. Fact is there are a lot of us, more every year and I fear incidents like these may increase before the end. How do we open eyes to the danger before they load sleds? At the dealership may be the most opportune place. Hay days and other sled gatherings also have influence. Television reaches out the farthest but that may be a fine line portraying our beloved sport in the appropriate manner. Also may present too many opportunities for adversaries to capitalize. We all need to be vocal advocates for sure. I've taken many newbies onto the mnt and into Avy terrain just to witness the beauty of it all. After it is always the same. Awe struck and no matter how well I tried to explain they didn't understand the magnitude of the mnt until being on it.

M

m8braaaap

Banned
Dec 3, 2012
mancos colorado
It never sunk in for me until the first time i rode across a huge debris field with 30' trees snapped off and littered throughout the rubble.that woke me up in a hurry and i try to learn more about safe travel in the backcountry any chance i get.it has a lot to do with where i live and ride being extreme avy terrain, but I'm just flat out scared anymore.each time i ride it gets worse.not just worrying about myself but my riding buddies and the people that count on us to come home.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Im in cooke now. Got a good look at the carnage. Now I hate to speculate, but judging by the tracks out here, some people are playin with fate.

My best wishes and prayers go out to all involved. But, I cannot imagine that this kid was the first one up the hill. My guess is that these guys got out there an there was already a bunch of people climbin it so they figured it may be safe. Just cause there is one or two or a hundred tracks on a hill doesnt mean its safe. Which is unfortunate, whats popular isnt always right, and whats right isnt always popular. There are fresh tracks out here on 40 degree south facing slopes. A good demonstration of how far we have to go in the avy awareness department.

And not to undermine how far we have come. A lot of ppl have put in a LOT of effort and deserve a standing ovation!!! Avy awareness IS higher than its ever been, but we need to keep working at it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
We lost another brother in Cooke today. Not an avy situation but another snowmobile accident. Prayers going out to his family also.

I stopped another group today playing in a very bad spot. In the past few years there have been 2 dug out in that chute. Comment was "we know". I can't believe it.
People were climbing in areas today that were just outright stupid. It is going to happen again soon. We saw around six natural avys today, we need to ride with caution.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
X5!!! I seen at least 4 new ones too.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Im in cooke now. Got a good look at the carnage. Now I hate to speculate, but judging by the tracks out here, some people are playin with fate.

My best wishes and prayers go out to all involved. But, I cannot imagine that this kid was the first one up the hill. My guess is that these guys got out there an there was already a bunch of people climbin it so they figured it may be safe. Just cause there is one or two or a hundred tracks on a hill doesnt mean its safe. Which is unfortunate, whats popular isnt always right, and whats right isnt always popular. There are fresh tracks out here on 40 degree south facing slopes. A good demonstration of how far we have to go in the avy awareness department.

And not to undermine how far we have come. A lot of ppl have put in a LOT of effort and deserve a standing ovation!!! Avy awareness IS higher than its ever been, but we need to keep working at it.

This never ceases to amaze me. There has obviously been a ton of recent avalanche activity, there has been a fatality, there is information EVERYWHERE telling folks to stay out of avalanche terrain, yet people still ride in areas they have no business being in. Is the "it can't happen to me" drive that strong in people? I just don't get it.:frown:

T

towerrigger

Jul 9, 2008
Condolences to family's that lost loved ones this week.

Today at Cooke I saw more riders without gear than I did with gear. Along with sitting and eating lunch in runout zones. I really can't understand why people do this. Do they really have to lose a friend to learn a lesson?

FirstPlaceParts

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Mina, SD
www.FirstPlaceParts.com
Avy

I started going to Cooke City over 15 years ago and yes I did everything wrong, like most people have. To be truthful I've told many people that I should be dead for the stupid **** I've done out there, I don't do that stupid stuff anymore. I've gotton older and wiser. Not a sales pitch but I've thought for some time that guys will spend $12,000 on a new sled but when they come into the store to look at avy packs I hear, I'll think about it.

I added up the price of an Avy Bag, Beacon, Probe and Shovel and it came to $1,110 for all four pieces, and many times these are on sale if a person looks around the web a little. Yes you can spend much more than this if you want to but at least you'll have avy gear. We run specials, I know SnowBigDeal runs specials from time to time as do several others. If you do the math all four items are 9% the price of a new sled. I'm just putting the numbers out there so that if anyone is reading this post that does not have avy gear, in the scheme of things it is not that much money. One more note, if you don't have avy gear do a couple of Google searches and sign up for 3 or 4 email blast for different companies you'd like to buy from, sooner or later you'll get an email with avy gear on sale, you can always be removed when you get your gear.

I would think you should be able to get everything for way less than $1,110 if you wait it out. Oh, TAKE AN AVY CLASS, it will open your eyes. It did mine.

With all that said I really do feel for the family and hate reading a headline like this.

God Bless and RIP.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
They didn't happen to be the chutes above round lake were they? "I know" huh? And once again people confirm how self absorbed they can be. You speaking with them preserving even one extra run at the slope may have saved their lives today. Unfortunately if they continue to ride like that you may have just prolonged it. All we can do is help educate. What they do with the knowledge is up to them.
On a positive note I remember years ago there were hardly ever fresh lines on crown butte because everyone would track it up. Every year I return to Cooke there are less and less tracks on it.

Those chutes

Premium Features