• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust smoke and oil in boost tubes

R
Dec 28, 2007
Update : Exhaust smoke and oil in boost tubes

Experienced octane warning and oil smelling smoke from exhaust. I Had rerouted the crankcase breather away from intake and used a piece of fuel line to lengthen. My thinking was a longer and smaller diameter tube would take longer to drain if it spent some time upside down keeping more oil in it. Had put about 300 miles on like this with no problems. Found there was a lining of the fuel line that had separated and blocked the line causing excess crank pressure and forcing oil past the turbo seals . The oil and vapor caused a lean condition and the octane warning and smoke.
Oneoldfart guessed I had blown a seal somewhere. Could not find anything.
Have ridden it twice since and still gives me the octane warning only after a really long wot pull. But no smoke like before. Otherwise runs good.
Maybe I damaged the turbo seals but hear that is not easy to do and fixing the crankcase vent should fix the problem. Hopefully it just needs some time to clean itself out.
There was a good amount of oil in the boost tubes and intercooler.
Any ideas on why I am still getting the octane warning ?
Thanks

Last edited:
Premium Features