• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

drinking while pregnant...

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I don't mean binge drinking, but I am curious as to what everyones thoughts are about a woman drinking while pregnant.

I thought fetal alcohol syndrome can happen by anyone consuming alcohol while pregnant, but it seems the research says that it is only alcoholics (consuming more then 3 drinks per day, 7 days a week) that have the problems.

There are actually studies that show woman that drink lightly (roughly a glass of wine once a day) actually have a higher probability of successful child birth. There are also studies that indicate that a mother that drinks lightly will have a child that develops faster.

Things sure are interesting the more you look into them... The studies that have popped up seem to be much different then what I would have thought...

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/FetalAlcoholSyndrome.html

"The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists recently conducted a large study including 400,000 American women, all of whom had consumed alcohol during pregnancy. Not a single case of fetal alcohol syndrome occurred and no adverse effects on children were found when consumption was under 8.5 drinks per week. 3
A review of research studies found that fetal alcohol syndrome only occurs among alcoholics. The evidence is clear that there is no apparent risk to a child when the pregnant woman consumes no more than one drink per day. 4
A study of pregnancies in eight European countries found that consuming no more than one drink per day did not appear to have any effect on fetal growth. A follow-up of children at 18 months of age found that those from women who drank during pregnancy, even two drinks per day, scored higher in several areas of development. 6
What do you guys think? What has been your experiences?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Hmmm...MOST things in moderation don't have too many negative affects...however, with a fetus, why you chance it?

I could see a glass of wine or something along the way...but continuous moderation (a couple drinks a week)??? I dunno. I wouldn't.

That's like saying....Mamma just got a new job at the glue factory where she inhales a lot of fumes from contact cement each day...She's also 2 mos along. She's not a huffer and didn't inhale before this new job.

You think that won't affect the baby? Hmmmm.

But then, let's say she only worked with the contact cement just once a week. But got enough to feel dizzy each time. The baby would be probably be fine. RIGHT?

LOL...I know that's not quite a proper argument for that...it's more of an analogy than anything.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
LOL...I know that's not quite a proper argument for that...it's more of an analogy than anything.

Not a proper analogy either... but it doesn't matter anyways.. ha ha

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
What about when you see pregnant people smoking what are the affects here on the baby. I seem to agree why risk it. They say after a certain point you can have like 4-6 oz. Why risk it though is my theory.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
What about when you see pregnant people smoking what are the affects here on the baby. I seem to agree why risk it. They say after a certain point you can have like 4-6 oz. Why risk it though is my theory.

Have you seen any or know of any studies about smoking while pregnant? I don't think I have seen any, though I know it is bad for the mother and the baby.

I guess when it comes to a mother and drinking a little bit, the studies I have seen say there is NO RISK, and can actually help the mother.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I don't think you are "risking" it by having a drink. There are several studies that have shown small amounts of alcohol improve the chances of a healthy baby. Small amounts of alcohol are actually good for body. Alcohol thins the blood making life on the heart easier and also helps your good cholesterol.

I know of several women whose doctor gave them the go ahead for a drink every once in a while.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
My mother drank heavily, smoked (anything that would burn) and performed various favors for any gentleman with a $10 bill.

Tried sucking me out with a vacuum, scrambling me with a coat hanger & beat on her stomach with a rolling pin.

Some do-gooder picked up my carcass & took to the hospital where I was later adopted.
Then things started to take a turn for the better.
I do remember one of the nurses saying "when he gets older, I'm gonna get me some of that!"

Anyway, the point is that none of that slowed me down a bit.
I think all the chemicals she ingested was like rocket fuel for me!

Last edited by a moderator:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Like anything else in life moderation is key. A beer or a glass of wine isn't going to hurt now and then. I certainly wouldn't have a problem if my wife has a glass of her wine once in awhile throughout the pregnancy. I believe our bodies have the ability to cope with just about anything in small amounts, its the continued use that gets you.

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
We bought a dog some years ago from a lady who was pregnant. Went to pick one out to put our name on and the lady yells to the door for us to come in. She is sitting down eating a huge t-bone steak, nothing else on the plate, and drinking a bud-heavy. Didn't think much of it until she got up to introduce herself and bam, way pregnant. Kind of took us off guard for a second but I guess she just needed a beer that day.

Last edited:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
No way that I'd risk it, and I didn't. Once I suspected I was pregnant with my sons, no drinks and no more cigs. The cigs were easy after my doctor told me that for every puff I took, it made my baby cough 5 or 6 times. Next cig I went to smoke, It made me sick just thinking of what I was doing to my child (and I quit).

Same as I wouldn't want a baby getting alcohol into their system. I don't really care what "studies" say to the contrary, I think we have enough people with alcoholic addictions out there to say otherwise. Especially when it's said that this is passed down to child.....if the baby is getting alcohol while in utero,
which DOES happen if the Mother has any drinks...well, just not worth it.

Maybe one on occasion, but certainly not more than that.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Just a thought, not a scientifically backed fact:

A fat guy can drink more than a skinny guy (usually), right? Because the alcohol gets distributed in a larger body then a skinny one. So in that way, a single beer to you may not give you a buzz but the baby inside of you may be wasted off it. That can't be good for him as anyone who has drank too much can attest.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
I've heard that...but why risk it?

Plus if the boetch is having a drink well knocked up you are gonna loose your sober cab!!! And everyone knows that is the best part of getting the wife knocked up, you have 9 months of a driver and baby sitter..

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I've heard that...but why risk it?
It doesn't seem like there is any risk at all..

No way that I'd risk it, and I didn't. Once I suspected I was pregnant with my sons, no drinks and no more cigs. The cigs were easy after my doctor told me that for every puff I took, it made my baby cough 5 or 6 times. Next cig I went to smoke, It made me sick just thinking of what I was doing to my child (and I quit).
yah, cigs are definitely bad for the baby, which shouldn't be a surprise since they kill people, regardless if they are pregnant or not. No brainer there..

Same as I wouldn't want a baby getting alcohol into their system. I don't really care what "studies" say to the contrary, I think we have enough people with alcoholic addictions out there to say otherwise.
Are you trying to correlate alcohol consumption by a child during pregnancy with alcoholic addictions? I think this is way off, as there are many instances where this is carried down threw only the males in a family. What is up with the "studies" ? I think it is every single study ever done about pregnancy and alcohol. I find it interesting that the American society has an incorrect belief or knowledge of fetal alcohol syndrome and its effects, especially with our consumption habits.

This analogy is for Scott!
I wonder if having sex while pregnant makes babies turn into hookers or ****-stars? lol

Maybe one on occasion, but certainly not more than that.
based on what?

Last edited:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Are you trying to correlate alcohol consumption by a child during pregnancy with alcoholic addictions? I think this is way off, as there are many instances where this is carried down threw only the males in a family. What is up with the "studies" ? I think it is every single study ever done about pregnancy and alcohol. I find it interesting that the American society has an incorrect belief or knowledge of fetal alcohol syndrome and its effects, especially with our consumption habits.

based on what?

Yes, that has been what I have witnessed....from Mother to female child (of which these girls are now grown), and with a non-drinking Father (by choice, not because of quitting from addiction). I've personally seen it far too many times (it saddens me that some have so little regard for the life growing within them), and I do not believe it is coincidence. I've seen it with people I know, and some that I didn't know personally while I was helping out with some alcohol addiction classes.

So my basis is on personal experience in watching/seeing others.

The beliefs of American society, and the Medical profession are ever changing. Just like some foods bad for you, then they were good for you, then bad again, etc. This happens over and over again.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I would think that the link of alcoholic father to alcoholic son or daughter would show that alcoholism is more complicated than just a mother having some alcohol in her system. Otherwise it would seem that only alcoholic mothers can pass the problem onto their kids..

I am not sure I agree with your correlation into causality.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I'm not talking just "some" alcohol. These were people that drank more than on occasion. Alcoholic...maybe some, others no....being young & pregnant and not wanting to give up the partying lifestyle was certainly one common denominator for many.

Why are there crack babies if what the Mother ingests doesn't affect the child?

I'm not asking you, or anyone, to agree with me...I'm just sharing my own views that were formed by things I've had personal experience with multiple times.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Permant Damage!

Its really sad, but it does happen. I love my four beautiful children. They are smart, good looking, active kids. Behaviors are learned, but I would have to think the way my wife treats and treated her body during her pregnancy would have everything to do with that. It is fact, drinking, smoking and or using while pregnant can harm the fetus. In most cases the children have difficulty learning.

Premium Features