• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DONE with Klim. The 'warranty' is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I am done spending ton of money on Klim gear with a "warranty" that doesn't actually exist. I sent a pair of Powerxross pants in, they were spotless except for a small cut on the front thigh that happened last year. My *** has been getting wet for two years (way before the small cut), I finally got tired of having wet butt and back of legs so sent them in. Response from Klim:

"Hello there,

Warranty has evaluated your photo's. Upon evaluation, they have determined they won't be able to test the pants for leakage due to the damage. They can repair the damage. They have offered the following costs below:

$70.00 to repair the right front thigh multiple tears. This will have a visible seam line.
$70.00 to repair the 6" Abrasion/Burn on the right seat. This will have a visible seam line.

Thank you."

First of all, they do not have a burn on them. NO idea what they are talking about. Second of all, I never sent photos, I sent the pants in. Klim is trying got ream me for $140 to fix a tiny cut and non existent "burn". SO if I pay the $140, then they determine that the Gore Tex is failed, then what? This is some dishonest stuff here folks. I don't even know how much Klim stuff me and my 5 family members own, but I am done buying it. Their gloves fall apart, the boots have a ONE year warranty now, the pants ALL leak after a year, and Klim looks for any small amount of wear to claim that they "cannot test them" for warranty.
Wish I would have seen the email today when the Klim rep was right in front of me at the dealership.......

F
I can understand your disappointment and I have had the same treatment when sending an Inversion Jacket in but I am still a faithful Klim customer and I always will be.

My question to you is what other brand of riding gear on the market stands up to harsh back country riding? I have witnessed a riding buddy sell all of his Klim gear and switch to Motorfist.....after 3 rides of being wet and miserable he sold it and went back to Klim.

I also had to spend the night at in the back country at -20 without a fire and I have to say that I personally called Klim and thanked them for making a great product.

I get what you are saying but I would think twice before jumping ship on them because I think you may be very disappointed with other brands.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I haven't researched it much yet, but most people that I know and ride with have already dumped Klim for the same reason. The warranty used to be legit, now they are trying to ride the rep they used to have to sell product. There are a lot of products out there that are not Klim.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I myself buy all riding gear with the intent to never even try to get anything warrantied. If a seam or something fails I'll just get it fixed local or buy new. Who wants to hassle with shipping stuff back and fourth. Warranties are worth about as much as the paper they are written on...

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
True. But from now on I will spend much less to have a wet butt anyway. Or gloves that wear through in a half season. Or boots that leak....

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I have warrantied 3 pairs of gloves and never had a problem. Sent pictures and had new ones within the week. You need to call them and talk with them on the phone. E-mail is nice. Sometimes talking with someone and and asking them about things with your claim works better.
The first pair of gloves I warrantied I called just cause I didn't know any better and they were nice and understanding and took care of it. We will see what happens with my bibs I ripped them earlier this year. Used Gore Tex patch kit to fix, works great, will send them in the spring.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I would make a phone call. Be polite but firm.

I have recieved numerous new gloves from Klim through warranty. I like their gloves but they do come apart (wear out) more rapidly than other brands.

My friends wear Klim, they love their gear and they had good luck with their warranty claims in the past.

2013 Klim made me mad with my boots that were leaking. I asked them if i could have them fixed. 1.5yrs old, out of warranty. They said 'send them in we will take a look at them'.
Response: sorry, by the wear on the soles of the boot we can tell these have been worn more than a yr and are out of the warranty period.
DUH! I stated that in my very first email!

I responded to them. Acknowledging they are out of warranty asking if they can fix them, i was willing to pay.
Their response was 'they do not repair boots' only replace.

Then why did they have me pay to ship, out of warranty boots to see if they could fix them!!!. Ahhhhhh! That pissed me off.

Bought my motorfist Stompers and feet are still dry in the same boots in 2018, 5yrs later!
Motorfist Rekon Jacket also dry 7yrs later! Yes 2011 jacket is still worn every ride!
Motor fist bibs lasted 3yrs and wet butt, sent them in and brand new bibs returned. Goin on 2nd yr and dry.

Alpha boots 2 pairs make it 4-6rides each and feet are wet. Just got 3rd pair(warrantied) this week hopefully they last the rest of the season, if not, i still have my trusty stompers.

Alpha Cat......

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I had a pair of klim pant that leaked in the arss, had a hole on the knee that I patched and Klim replaced them.

I know the knee has nothing to do with the arss, but maybe you just need to repair the knee.

I have always had great luck with Klim warranties, but this was before they were bought.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Overall, I seem to have had very good luck with Klim gear the last 12 years.... however ... I will never spend money on another pair of Klim dirt bike pants or gloves again.

I had a pair of Dakkar dirt bike pants that didn't even last me a single summer season before the crotch and knees wer worn out, I maybe got 6 months use out of them ... and I went through three (3) pairs of Klim gloves last season (two were warranted, dealer told me to bring third pair in...but still).

With all that said ... my Klim bibs, snow pants, boots and helmets have been second to none. I've had the same pair of Klim Togwotee bibs and Radium boots since 2008, both kicking still ... I had a 2008 Klim F4 helmet until 2016, and the only reason it met its demise in 2016 is because I got so pissed off I couldn't pull the same line everyone else could on my dirt bike after like 9 tries I got pissed off and bashed it against a tree :) (I did have a Klim F4 gen II waiting in the wings for a replacement however)

IDK ... every piece of gear I ride with these days is basically Klim, because over all I've had better luck with it.... but I won't spend money on Klim gloves or dirt pants again, I know that much :)

With all that said again however ... I greatly appreciate the support Klim gives various public access charities and the exposure they provide to the sport. This is not lost on me. THere is a reason we all seem to subscribe to #Klimlife, right? ;) ... I have the t-shirts and stickers et all, I just think they could afford to make a cheaper and/or more robust glove for what they cahrge. Maybe I was just hard on dirt bike pants that summer, IDK .... Overalll ... I'm going to continue buying Klim, I'm just offering this feedback as a repeat/loyal customer :)

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I have heard form the dealer here that the warranty has not been the same since Polaris took them over. I guess they are so big now that they don't care about the $4000 in family gear that I am in the process of dumping on Ebay to buy Motorfist. Motorfist has some really nice stuff now, check them out. Klim's online representative was not only as dumb as a box of rocks, but I am pretty sure that Klim damaged my pants in order to avoid paying out a warranty claim. They claimed they had a burn on the ***, then sent a picture of a burn that I have NEVER seen before. I take care of my stuff. I have a 5 year old Powerxross that has hundreds of hours of riding on it, not a scuff. I cannot see them doing something like that, but I know that it didn't have a burn on it when I sent it in. I am looking into legal action. Not for the $, but for the point of it.
I did a count, of the 15 guys/girls that I regularly ride with, all but one have gone to Motorfist or ski gear to ride. For the same reasons, didn't realize that until now. My local dealer us a Klim superstore or whatever they call it, but they are also a Motorfist dealer, I am going to see if I can sway them over to the honest side. If anyone wants some Klim gear with ****ty warranty, PM me. Got lots of stuff that is going to Ebay...

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I would make a phone call. Be polite but firm.

I have recieved numerous new gloves from Klim through warranty. I like their gloves but they do come apart (wear out) more rapidly than other brands.

My friends wear Klim, they love their gear and they had good luck with their warranty claims in the past.

2013 Klim made me mad with my boots that were leaking. I asked them if i could have them fixed. 1.5yrs old, out of warranty. They said 'send them in we will take a look at them'.
Response: sorry, by the wear on the soles of the boot we can tell these have been worn more than a yr and are out of the warranty period.
DUH! I stated that in my very first email!

I responded to them. Acknowledging they are out of warranty asking if they can fix them, i was willing to pay.
Their response was 'they do not repair boots' only replace.

Then why did they have me pay to ship, out of warranty boots to see if they could fix them!!!. Ahhhhhh! That pissed me off.

Bought my motorfist Stompers and feet are still dry in the same boots in 2018, 5yrs later!
Motorfist Rekon Jacket also dry 7yrs later! Yes 2011 jacket is still worn every ride!
Motor fist bibs lasted 3yrs and wet butt, sent them in and brand new bibs returned. Goin on 2nd yr and dry.

Alpha boots 2 pairs make it 4-6rides each and feet are wet. Just got 3rd pair(warrantied) this week hopefully they last the rest of the season, if not, i still have my trusty stompers.

Alpha Cat......

I appreciate the input. Back when Klim was hungry they took care of customers to gain a rep. Now that they are big enough they feel like they don't have to worry about it. Motorfist has now come up and seem to keep legit with the customer service. And they have come up with some great models and colors.
It is too bad, I like the Klim stuff, but since Polaris took them over things have gone downhill. (Maybe Polaris is using Klim to try to pay off all the blown up Pro engines?)
I was in the dealership the other day when the rep was there, asking "what can we do for you"?, the response was "fix the f-ed up warranty". That was from a salesman.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Motorfist has poor warranty too in my experience. I’m not defending klim at all, just don’t get your hopes up that MF is any better.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I have tried 2 other brands of gloves in the last 2 years....and still prefer my torn up awful looking old Klim gloves over either of the others. I haven't dealt with the warranty much (other than them replacing a pair of gloves with blown out seams years ago), but overall I just haven't found much that fits well and stands up. Although I am quite fond of my Scott 1-piece suit...and it is standing up very well in season 2.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
In general, high dollar gloves are a waste in my book anyway. "Waterproof " is a pipe dream after moderate use anyway. Just how it is. You can squeeze water through goretex and all you do with gloves is squeeze the bars, unlike other clothing articles. That's why the @ss leaks first in pants. Pressure squeezing water through the fabric when yer sitting on the seat.

I run a couple 3 pairs of cheap insulated Mechanix type gloves. They fit almost like riding gloves and a little waterproofing spray keeps them as waterproof as anything.....couple hours. Warm insulated rubber gloves work good too but bulky.

Warranty is subjective and 3 sides to every story. OP sounds like Klimpolaris was looking at the wrong britches when they emailed him. I've never had to warranty my Klim jacket. Apparently haven't rode enough to wear it out either! Although the last several years I wear a rain coat more than the Klim....WA weather!
My MF pants got warrantied easily, year old, defective, some snaps pulled out. They sent a new pair and I only gave $100 for them on close out.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Admittedly, I'm a Klim fan... I have quite a bit of gear from them.

Tore up a pair of freeride pants on the running board of my Pro..... it was definitely my fault...sent them in for repair and got a good quote on it. I was surprised it was only $40... and they repaired it very nicely.... I was 'hoping' for a freebie... but was satisfied with the result in the end.

I hear what you are saying.... super expensive gear... and some damage costs a lot.... and in this day and age, we wish that they replaced it like a warrantied fan belt at NAPA.

Sorry to hear of your troubles... and I agree that a polite phone call to Customer service here in the good ole USofA will most often get you a good result.... Nice they still have humans working the call lines.

Good luck with your season.... and pray for snow.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Isn't a warranty supposed to be for manufacturer defects? seams coming un-threaded or whatever.

not sure why you thought a tear counts.

I had 2 pairs of motorfist gloves in a row on the first ride out come unglued and the inner bits ripped out from the outer. They replaced them twice, then upgraded me to their better gloves ( I paid a bit for that though ).

I have not had to deal with Klim yet. My Klim jacket and boots are 5 years old and have no issues.

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
At some point tho...people need to realize that you can’t make a living giving away free s**t. If you disagree, give it a shot, I’ll be your first customer!

I understand you’re upset...but if we break it down to the basics, it sounds like you were hoping for a free pair of new pants in exchange for a 2-3 year old pair with at least some amount of damage. I probably wouldn’t do that if it were my company...would you? It would be a tough biz to be in, I think.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Repair the rip in the pants, then send them into Gore. Gore guarantees GoreTex not leak for life. Had a buddy so this with a jacket and Gore let him pick a new GoreTex jacket of equal price. He sent in a Arcteryx jacket and got back new Klim stealth jacket!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features