• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dirt Drag 09 M1000

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
So I just bought an 09 M1000 snopro with 800 miles on it. It's got the SLP pipe kit, PCV and Cutler's clutch and adjustable weights. I'm going to school and here in my town we have a dirt drag for sleds. I'm very confident nobody will beat this sled with that pipe kit and the clutch so it's an easy 300 bucks.

What I need to know is how do I prep for this? Besides bags of ice, etc. Is there some way to protect the Hyfax? Let me know what you have found to do this. I obviously am a mountain rider and didn't but it to drag it, but 300 bucks at the county fair goes a long way in payments... haha. Thanks!

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
well is it 500ft 660 1/4 mi?
clutching and gearing is everything. and u have to have your transfer set up to keep those skis off the ground about 2 inch at least 75% the way down.any extra wheels u have need to go back on the skid.
put on the most wore out carbides u have on it. duct tape the loop of 1 of your ski loops closed to catch the light first
and dont be surprised when a f7 shows up and takes your 300 bucks.
with your set up u will be running in the mod class so I would not be strutting around to proud until the fat lady has sang
u prob wont build a cool down cart for just 1 race but a leaf blower a big wheeled sled dolly wont hurt.

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
Ha. I've been to these races before. It's not a real serious event. Everybody has mountain sleds. We aren't ditch bangers, we aren't flat-landers. We're in Utah. In fact, I've never even seen an F7 in person. The M1000's, when there was one entered, always won. Nobody here cares about sled drags, we do it to get the the mid-summer itch out of our system. I'm just concerned about heating the hyfax up and not cooling it, and so on.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Use some of that $300 on a few cans of Pam (spray cooking oil). All the components you think will get dirty, spray the crap out of them to keep the mud/rocks/sand from sticking. Still going to need the pressure washer at the ready. Couple bags of ice unless you get fancy and get a quick disconnect system setup. Hyfax are going to take some abuse, no way around it. If anything just prop the sled up on the rear bumper to keep the track separated. Grease everything just like you would at the end of the year once it's washed up good. We used to do these at the local truck mud bogs, but being older and wiser would never put my equipment through the abuse again. Other than that, make sure she purrs good off the line and run it.

Last edited:
M

mtnmax97

Dec 24, 2007
Yakima WA
Utah

I can tell you that some of the fastest sleds on the west coast are in Utah.
And they dont have turbos. I know of a sled in Ogden that is just a 700cc (Rocketman007) and it will out run 1000's all day. We used to have some fun and competitive races in Ogden.

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
Nephi

Oh I'm not saying we don't have fast sleds. haha. 650 hp sleds that Scott from Diamond S builds are probably the craziest sleds anywhere, but here in Nephi, we don't generally get too into it for the drag. Like I said, we do it to get the itch out and of course use it for bragging rights... There is a pretty fierce competition between us Cat guys and the Polaris guys, it's all in good fun, but we like what we ride, for the most part.... and I actually just heard that there might not be any money in the drags, so, I'm probably gonna not drag my sled through rodeo dirt 5 or 6 times...

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
Money/Test Run

So there will be a prize. I just took my sled out today and dragged it against my cousin's 07 M1000 162, I won once and he won the second. He has a speedwerx pipe, and a CPC clutch. I have the SLP pipe and the CPC clutch plus adjustable clutch weights, I feel like I need to turn my idle up and adjust my weights to engage at a higher RPM so when I punch it, i'm already running hot. Mine was faster than his but the second time he was revving with the up down count and I started at dead throttle.

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
So I just bought an 09 M1000 snopro with 800 miles on it. It's got the SLP pipe kit, PCV and Cutler's clutch and adjustable weights. I'm going to school and here in my town we have a dirt drag for sleds. I'm very confident nobody will beat this sled with that pipe kit and the clutch so it's an easy 300 bucks.

What I need to know is how do I prep for this?[/QUOTE]

What you need to know is that your M1000 isn't very fast (compared to race sleds). I have a 800 Skidoo XP 162 mountain sled that will beat you every time. I have never lost a drag race to a M1000 or M1200 for that matter and real race sleds will beat me.
I'm not hacking your sled (or bragging about mine) so don't get all spooled up...just trying to put it in perspective for you. You are about to go abuse your "mountain sled" on some dirt where it has no business being to win $300. By the time you pay for fuel, entry fees, etc. you might make $200 (assuming you win). It sounds like you just bought the sled and are making payments on it (or something). Now consider your going to trash your hifax, track, bushing, bearings, scags, skis etc. There is no snow to cool your sled on the dirt so they like to get really hot! My guess is by the end of the day you will have done more than $300 worth of damage and wear n tear on your new sled.

Now if you proceed with the race here are some helpful tips that may help you to not get beat to badly.
First off try to park as close to a water source as possible. Bring a garden hose a spay nozzle with you to the track. Every time you make a pass swing over to the water hose and hose off your track and skid to help clean, cool, lubricate the hyfax and such. Also run cold water on your cooler for a couple minutes to get motor water temps down.
If you have any clutch parts add some weight to the primary. Put in a primary spring with a low initial number and low finish rate as this will help your sled shift faster. Your M1000 has plenty of gear in it for 500' of track. If track is 660' then your gonna get passed on the big end by sleds with better gearing but not much you can doo about it with a diamond drive.
Let your limiter strap out at least a hole or two and soften up your rear shock a bit. This will help weight transfer for more traction.
When you are at the starting lights and ready to go hold the brake on and bring up the rpms a bit to help build a little heat in your pipe. Too much rpm for too long and you'll know it from the blue smoke coming from your belt but you'll figure it out.
Most decent mountain sleds should run about 80-85mph and cover 500' in 5.6 to 5.8 seconds. That should give you an idea of how fast (or slow) your sled is.
Good luck and have fun!

Here is a pic of the rear suspension working.

Launching.jpg

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
Like I said...

This is a very laid-back drag race. No one in our town has a drag sled, or a race sled. A few guys might put an old Polaris Ultra Triple in but they have always been beaten. The length is only 120 feet. It's a rodeo arena where they hold the Ute Stampede. It's put on by our local Honda shop. There won't be a race sled in sight. I'm planning on ice bags, and freezing blocks of ice that I can strap onto my rear heat exchanger. I have a Cutler's clutch setup. The Primary has the Cutler's adjustable weights, and the secondary is a Cutler's clutch. So. I was planning on getting into my PCV, turning up the idle and adjusting the clutch to engage as high as possible without buying a gold spring for it. Is that possible??

The 120 feet is why the M1000's win here. They have the torque the 800's generally lack. On a longer track, the 700's and 800's would win hands down. But with only 120 feet, that torque oughta get me closer to podium...??? Thoughts??

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
UPDATE
I bought used spring from a Cat dealer, it was the stiffest they had in the box (they got a new owner, getting rid of everything) So I couldn't find anything online about it, it's kinda blue-ish green, the closest I could find was from D&D, (teal).
Anyway, got it in, bumps at 4700 and engages about 5100. So it's quite a bit higher than my old stock spring.
Do I need to adjust my clutch (weights, etc.)? How? I have Cutler's adjustable weights.
And I'm waiting for SLP's maps for my PCV to be emailed to me, I assume I should map it for about 5000 feet?? That's what elevation we are at.
How do I drop my limiter strap? It is as far as it goes, do I change the mount the spring sits on to the front-ward mount?
Thanks, all.

Premium Features