• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Didnt mark stationary sheave

G

Guernseycow

Oct 30, 2019
Gillette, wy
I've seen a couple threads on here, but mostly skidoo. Rmk assault, I didn't mark the stationary sheave. There is a dot stamped into it. Shoukd the x from cover and spider line up with that dot? Thanks

G

Guernseycow

Oct 30, 2019
Gillette, wy
Also what I did do since I dont have a 300lb torque wrench, was to put a mark behind the jam nut so I would have some idea of how tight to go. Would that be an indication that everything is close?

15764481951747652354935751311791.jpg

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Stationary is balanced separately allowing for changes in sheave to belt clearance/shimming. All you need to be concerned with is that the X on the moveable is aligned with the X on the spider which is aligned with the X on the cover. Torque spider to 200, jam nut to 235.

G

Guernseycow

Oct 30, 2019
Gillette, wy
Stationary is balanced separately allowing for changes in sheave to belt clearance/shimming. All you need to be concerned with is that the X on the moveable is aligned with the X on the spider which is aligned with the X on the cover. Torque spider to 200, jam nut to 235.
Sweet, I did align those. Thank you for the reply

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
Is this a new balance idea from Polaris? They used to be balanced as an assembly and there was a procedure to follow when changing shims not just lining up all the X marks.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I have watched several videos over the years of proper shimming procedures and there has not been one of them that made any mention of fixed positioning when complete. I just reviewed the Starting LIne Products video and again there was no mention of fixed position. I have been told by what I thought were knowledgeable Polaris Techs that all you need to be concerned with is the proper alignment of the moveable parts. Have I been getting lousy information and did SLP leave out an important piece of information in their tutorial?

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
I have watched several videos over the years of proper shimming procedures and there has not been one of them that made any mention of fixed positioning when complete. I just reviewed the Starting LIne Products video and again there was no mention of fixed position. I have been told by what I thought were knowledgeable Polaris Techs that all you need to be concerned with is the proper alignment of the moveable parts. Have I been getting lousy information and did SLP leave out an important piece of information in their tutorial?
Maybe this is old school but I think it is still in the repair manuals, Ill look next time I'm near my manuals. Newest one I have is a 2019 not a 20 though. Short version of The procedure in the Polaris manuals is to scribe a mark from moveable sheave to fixed prior to disassembly. When assembling with different shims the spider should be indexed to allow the scribe marks to align within an inch. So align the cover and moveable X marks and put the spider where it needs to be to achieve the less then inch target. Check out a repair manual it will have a better descrition.
In practice you may not get exactly the clearance you want unless you cut shims or spider. Best bet is to balance after, What I do is get the clutch component balanced then I can change it around anytime.

G

Guernseycow

Oct 30, 2019
Gillette, wy
Maybe this is old school but I think it is still in the repair manuals, Ill look next time I'm near my manuals. Newest one I have is a 2019 not a 20 though. Short version of The procedure in the Polaris manuals is to scribe a mark from moveable sheave to fixed prior to disassembly. When assembling with different shims the spider should be indexed to allow the scribe marks to align within an inch. So align the cover and moveable X marks and put the spider where it needs to be to achieve the less then inch target. Check out a repair manual it will have a better descrition.
In practice you may not get exactly the clearance you want unless you cut shims or spider. Best bet is to balance after, What I do is get the clutch component balanced then I can change it around anytime.
What I dont get, is by the manual you can move the spider 1/3 to get the 2 sheaves within an inch, but everything has x's but the stationary, which by the manual sounds to be the most important. I did read the manual before I made this post, but had also watched a ton of videos, that never mentioned marking the stationary. So I was fishing for opinions. I decided to buy a good used one, and will send the old one out to be balanced to be safe. Appreciate all the feed back.

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
Here it is if you haven't seen this yet. Post 49

Premium Features