• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond-S MFG Titanium Can Comparison

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Last weekend had a rider in our group with a GGB mtn can. I refused to give him a ski pull when he got stuck & so do most other riders in our group. He got the hint half way through the day. I love my Diamond S still after 3 years.

On a side note the Michigan DNR has stated this year they are going to really crack down on loud exhausts. Hopefully people like this moron will get the hint that loud cans hurt our sport.

https://youtu.be/fVnqKOd27O4

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
On a similar side note:

New Brunswick (and pretty sure Quebec) have banned all aftermarket mufflers (cans) on snowmobiles. Kinda funny they didn't do it for motorcycles as well..... I digress.....

But also know that enforcement are watching for mtn cans which stand out like a sore thumb. The quiet cans that I know are out there don't even get a second look.

Slowly but surely you'll see state and provincial governments ban loud.

OTM

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Last weekend had a rider in our group with a GGB mtn can. I refused to give him a ski pull when he got stuck & so do most other riders in our group. He got the hint half way through the day.

https://youtu.be/fVnqKOd27O4

Sounds like an asshat move. Having an adult conversation with him and explaining to him why he needs to change it b4 next time he rides should bring about the same change and reduce hostility within the group. If not, hes not invited back. Maybe u never get stuck, but not giving a hand to someone who is, regardless of their situation, will get u a big foot in the behind out of our riding group.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Sounds like an asshat move. Having an adult conversation with him and explaining to him why he needs to change it b4 next time he rides should bring about the same change and reduce hostility within the group. If not, hes not invited back. Maybe u never get stuck, but not giving a hand to someone who is, regardless of their situation, will get u a big foot in the behind out of our riding group.

Most of us told him right away he wasn’t getting a ski pull with that loud can before the day started. Not a asshat move at all. I don’t like hearing loss, how about you? He was kinda arrogant anyway about the whole loud exhaust issue. Said he didn’t care what people thought about it. Fair enough.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
The problem is the older sleds cannot take advantage of the new sound technology in baffling! Wish Dia. S would make a can for the older sleds to reduce the aftermarket sound and have proper flow for the carbed sleds? The older Cat's look like they could use the newer cans with different mount points?
Other than that I would buy a new can if made, maybe a new niche in something older?
Thanks Mike

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I’ve bought a few Dia S cans over the years. For the most part I love them. Light, sound great(not loud), they look cool and get even cooler looking after you get them super hot and they DON’T rob power.
BUT they aren’t very durable. We’ve had about a 30% failure rate over 2-3 years on the XMs we are all riding. We had to get after them pretty hard to get my 3yr old XM Ti can repaired. COME ON for $600 that can should last the lifetime of the sled. At least 5-6yrs. I bought another one for my new Alpha mainly because it gives me the most room for my e-start battery in a quiet can. In the box is the warranty card for 2 freaking years. That is total bs.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
look doing the right thing for the sport in your area is just the adult thing to do! if I hade to ride next to skiers or in peoples back yards/farms I would respect that and buy a can or pipe that was thoughtful to the people around.......but I don't, I ride in the mountains in Alaska and their is no one their but sleders so I don't care how loud my pipe or can (turbo) is just how it preforms. my exhaust is stuck in the snow a good % of the time so its quiet anyway, but to push that all cans and pipes should meet YOUR standards or THEIR standards just isn't American! or respectful to the riders that DO HAVE A CHOICE! I do hope that all the riders in arrears that have a need for the quiet cans abide by that to help keep the arrears open TO ALL and not just the skiers and hikers but in the same breath I hope that those of us who don't half to deal with the insanity of trying to ride a 200hp sled next to hikers/skiers and landowners still have the choice as to what we want in the arrears that still have a choice to be hade. and yea 2 or 3 people in our group love the quiet cans.....2 switched to 4strokes last year. 1 because they were even quieter and the other said their supper quiet and better for the environment... a bit of a hippy but a great guy! on a side note if that guy was running a loud can where it might be an issue or against regs. we would have left him at home. either way hope that your riding arrears stay open and you all have a great winter :)

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Most of us told him right away he wasn’t getting a ski pull with that loud can before the day started. Not a asshat move at all. I don’t like hearing loss, how about you? He was kinda arrogant anyway about the whole loud exhaust issue. Said he didn’t care what people thought about it. Fair enough.

Is his name Colby?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I’ve bought a few Dia S cans over the years. For the most part I love them. Light, sound great(not loud), they look cool and get even cooler looking after you get them super hot and they DON’T rob power.
BUT they aren’t very durable. We’ve had about a 30% failure rate over 2-3 years on the XMs we are all riding. We had to get after them pretty hard to get my 3yr old XM Ti can repaired. COME ON for $600 that can should last the lifetime of the sled. At least 5-6yrs. I bought another one for my new Alpha mainly because it gives me the most room for my e-start battery in a quiet can. In the box is the warranty card for 2 freaking years. That is total bs.

Well thats the nature of the beast with titanium, I build a LOT of things from it, exhaust,pump parts,valves etc etc in any heat application it has a short lifespan, its the price you pay for it, it would be best to make the cans from inconel, like we use in road race headers that have to last a while. More weight but triple the life....just my opinion, I understand your point for sure

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
That's why I'm going with the diamond-s stainless can.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Well thats the nature of the beast with titanium, I build a LOT of things from it, exhaust,pump parts,valves etc etc in any heat application it has a short lifespan, its the price you pay for it, it would be best to make the cans from inconel, like we use in road race headers that have to last a while. More weight but triple the life....just my opinion, I understand your point for sure

Come on. Two years? I have full ti supressors for rifles that have lasted over 10 years. There is nothing more violent than screwing something on the muzzle of a 5.56 rifle lol. I can buy ti exhaust for my car that will outlast the engine too.

Premium Features