• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond-S MFG Titanium Can Comparison

T
Sep 10, 2009
My core riding group upgraded to new sleds this year and instead of building turbo sleds, we decided to keep it simple and light. The weight savings from an aftermarket can were very intriguing, but none of us wanted the loud sound.

I went to Diamond-S's booth at Haydays and met with the owners Scott and Stephanie. I checked out their exhaust systems and discussed with them about how loud exhausts shouldn't have a place in the snowmobile industry today. They shared the same views I did on the importance of leaving minimal impact where we ride, so I was happy to give these mufflers a shot.

We made this video to truly show how quiet the cans are yet having a good sound and losing a significant amount of weight. It's no standardized test, but hopefully gives you an idea of the difference between stock and Diamond on a 2019 850 RMK and a 2019 800 Alpha.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QMWP7Y4L8n0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
My core riding group upgraded to new sleds this year and instead of building turbo sleds, we decided to keep it simple and light. The weight savings from an aftermarket can were very intriguing, but none of us wanted the loud sound.

I went to Diamond-S's booth at Haydays and met with the owners Scott and Stephanie. I checked out their exhaust systems and discussed with them about how loud exhausts shouldn't have a place in the snowmobile industry today. They shared the same views I did on the importance of leaving minimal impact where we ride, so I was happy to give these mufflers a shot.

We made this video to truly show how quiet the cans are yet having a good sound and losing a significant amount of weight. It's no standardized test, but hopefully gives you an idea of the difference between stock and Diamond on a 2019 850 RMK and a 2019 800 Alpha.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QMWP7Y4L8n0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Exactly right.

"Quiet Recreation" is the new battle cry of the anti-motorized community. Loud cans are DETRIMENTAL to the sport-- anyone who tells you different is uninformed, ignorant, or just an a-hole.

I have started to refuse working on sleds with loud cans in my shop. I refuse to ride with people with loud cans-- same as I refuse to ride with people without avy gear/ training.

We NEED to self regulate ourselves... otherwise we will have nowhere to ride.

----this concludes this rant.....flame on----

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Pretty stoked on the hush box from skinz and the ggb quiet can coming out. I just hope they really are as close to stock as they claim.

Even the Diamond S could lose some high pitch bark at WOT IMO.

But ggb seriously needs to quit making that 'mountain can' BS.

It's refreshing to see this latest movement. Long overdue.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
I have a ggb mtn can.. the only time I consider it to be too loud is if im wide open on a straight stretch at 8250rpms.

Otherwise I 100% prefer people knowing im near or around and can hear what im doing.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I have a ggb mtn can.. the only time I consider it to be too loud is if im wide open on a straight stretch at 8250rpms.

Otherwise I 100% prefer people knowing im near or around and can hear what im doing.

BCA link radios are a great tool for communication.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
BCA link radios are a great tool for communication.

And it ain't like stock cans are quiet at WOT. :face-icon-small-dis

I joke with some xc skiers: you sure you really want a completely quiet snowmobile? BOO! Didn't hear me comin' did ya!? Hahahaa

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Travis, first off thanks for making such a good video, one of the better comparisons I've seen done for this stuff out in the real world, not the shop. Also such key points in the no place for loud cans anymore.

Also, build quiality on the Diamond S stuff looks top notch!

Its only too loud when your at peak rpm? So like all the time when mtn riding?:juggle:

Loud cans ARE NOT COMMUNICATION DEVICES. A WOT sled pinned in the woods says, im kinda roughly over in this area. Until you shut it off, then it does nothing. A radio says, "Im over below this cliff, climbers right, Need a hand, stuck against a tree."

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership

I'm sorry to single you out, I know a lot of people feel this way.......

"I want people to know where I am".... seriously?...

and if your sled dies?....if you get stuck and need assistance do you just rev the nuts off your sled until help arrives?

Buy a radio. Keep EYES on your riding buddies-- no one is going to hear a sled shutoff and think..... "avalanche", I have never heard of anyone calling on a radio "I'm in a slide!!"....hence keeping eyes on our riding partners.

You are on the sled. You bought the loud can. You are not trying to close down public lands to snowmobiling.

You, and the snowmobile community, need to make choices based on the non-motorized community. We need to stop giving them a viable argument at USFS meetings.

Again, Colby, I'm sorry to call you out on this. I know that your opinion is shared by a lot of snowmobilers. Unfortunately, this head-in-the-sand, "F//ck the greenies" menatality does NOTHING to help us keep public lands open to motorized recreation.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
It should be mandatory that all loud cans be piped all the way back into the offices in the midwest where the vast majority of them are made, and not in the mountains where we're on public land. :face-icon-small-hap

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
It should be mandatory that all loud cans be piped all the way back into the offices in the midwest where the vast majority of them are made, and not in the mountains where we're on public land. :face-icon-small-hap

Haha I’d argue that is worse. Most trails are run across private land and can have permission taken away at the property owners discretion. Loud cans aren’t doing anybody any favors these days

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Haha I’d argue that is worse. Most trails are run across private land and can have permission taken away at the property owners discretion.

Well, gee whiz, sounds just like the forest service now doesn't it???

Hear that Minnesota!?? Quit sending that crap out here when you don't even want it in your own back yards! We don't want it in ours either!!!! :face-icon-small-hap

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
You people dont ask any questions and assume way to much. God help the poor sob if your ever a part of a jury..

I have a sena 30k for communication and it works great.. i DO NOT prefer a quiet can and where I ride, its probably 20-30% quiet and the rest are louder cans. Im not running WOT in the parking lot or riding where cross country people are rubbing my shoulders. In fact I saw 3 cross country people last ride and it was when we were putting into a lodge. Im respectful enough to not pin it when they are around. Regardless of my can, u act like a jackass with a quiet can and u will elicit the same response.

If you ride WOT 100% of the time then u are obviously in god mode and beyond my ability by far.

If they want to start decibel testing at the entrance then I guess every single snowbike and the other 70% of sledders will fail and not be allowed to ride.

Bottom line, some of u like quiet cans, some of us dont.

Didn’t mean to hijack thread either so rant over

Last edited:

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
If they want to start decibel testing at the entrance then I guess every single snowbike and the other 70% of sledders will fail and not be allowed to ride.

The great thing about sound testing by USFS is that it would take this argument away from the anti-motorized crowd.

Every time sound comes up in a USFS stakeholder meeting regarding OSV use, I suggest they start testing just like they check registration stickers.

As a community, we need to be proactive about policing ourselves. If we stop buying "loud cans" manufacturers will stop making loud cans.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
If there's one thing I know about traveling in the woods: if you don't see someone on xc skis right next to you, then they're definitely not there!!

Good thinking!

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
The great thing about sound testing by USFS is that it would take this argument away from the anti-motorized crowd.

Every time sound comes up in a USFS stakeholder meeting regarding OSV use, I suggest they start testing just like they check registration stickers.

As a community, we need to be proactive about policing ourselves. If we stop buying "loud cans" manufacturers will stop making loud cans.

Define loud? What decibel is loud and at idle what would it need to be as well as WOT.

Im not saying I disagree with you in that quieter cans are more peaceful but the people complaining about sound are prob the same that are complaining about any off road vehicle tearing up their beloved wilderness. While I wont condone just trashing places im not a fan of environmentalists.

Ive had environmentalists try to shut down motocross tracks because they said the land was eroding causing wildlife issues.. gimme a fng break.

A mountain can is no louder than a 2 stroke mx bike.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
If there's one thing I know about traveling in the woods: if you don't see someone on xc skis right next to you, then they're definitely not there!!

Good thinking!

Quit crying. Jesus its sad listening to the ball less chatter. If u got something to say, say it. Regardless u wont change my opinion. You probably like wine, I prefer whiskey, so lets ramble about that now.

Wear ear plugs if u dont like it. Hell I’ll send u a set if its a cost issue.

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Define loud? What decibel is loud and at idle what would it need to be as well as WOT.

Im not saying I disagree with you in that quieter cans are more peaceful but the people complaining about sound are prob the same that are complaining about any off road vehicle tearing up their beloved wilderness. While I wont condone just trashing places im not a fan of environmentalists.

Ive had environmentalists try to shut down motocross tracks because they said the land was eroding causing wildlife issues.. gimme a fng break.

A mountain can is no louder than a 2 stroke mx bike.

The link to the SAE J 2567 sound test is here-- the definition of "loud" as you requested.

https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j2567_201511/

I'm no fan of the anti-motorized community. I despise them so much I go to USFS stakeholder meetings to oppose them in person and fight for YOUR (and every snowmobile user) right to snowmobile.

I ride a KTM 250 XC-W.... a mountain can is WAAAY louder than my KTM--- especially when the sleds powervalves open.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
The link to the SAE J 2567 sound test is here-- the definition of "loud" as you requested.

https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j2567_201511/

I'm no fan of the anti-motorized community. I despise them so much I go to USFS stakeholder meetings to oppose them in person and fight for YOUR (and every snowmobile user) right to snowmobile.

I ride a KTM 250 XC-W.... a mountain can is WAAAY louder than my KTM--- especially when the sleds powervalves open.

Good info, thnx for sharing. So basically 88@4000. So stock with my 18 polaris pro rmk 800 is like 73/78.. a ggb mtn is 4-6 higher ay idle and 10-18 at WOT. With those numbers as they are stated its pretty close. Unless I misread something.. which is possible, im tired..

Forgot to add.. if I recall the ktm 250 version of ur bike has diff emissions in comparison to a mx version. My buddy rides ktm and his was never as loud as my kx or cr’s maybe cuz the ktm muffler is so long/baffled? I dunno.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Quit crying.

Pointing out the stupidity of your argument is not crying. It's pointing out the stupidity of your argument. And I do drink whiskey so we can totally hang out.

Have fun with your forest plan revisions in Oregon when they start picking up subpart C of the travel management rule. I mean you certainly know what that is right? Because everything Murph and I are telling you is going to matter.

Good luck!
It's not pretty. And your loud can will be used against you.

Premium Features