• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deep Powder Mountain Sled?

S
Jan 3, 2015
Utah
Okay, so i'm sure this question has been asked many times but i'm going to ask it again. Looking to buy a new sled. I ride in Utah in high elevation and I like to ride deep powder. So i want a sled that does good in the deep powder but yet is nimble enough so that i can carve up hills through the trees. So my question to you guys is what are some good sleds nothing newer than a 2013 that would work best for this kind of riding?

S
Mar 10, 2014
Colorado Springs
What is your budget? What sleds have you ridden before?
Eff going to a dealer.
Get on Craigslist. I find all kinds of older M series Cats on there for pretty cheap with a few hundred miles on them that I want to buy, but can't because my wife will kick me out if I spend any more money on sleds.

C
Dec 24, 2014
I agree that the current crop of sleds is pretty impressive. It will come down to your riding before anything else.

Every single one of them is a ticking time bomb, and if you are buying used, even more so.

I prefer the Polaris Pro RMK but I wouldn't buy a used one older than 2013, too many motor issues those first couple of years. I think Cat dropped the ball on it's current chassis. I would ride a '10-'11 M8 HO before I would spend any money on a '12 Cat. In the Doo line-up you want at least an '11 with the e-tech motor. That would be an XP and I have no love for the Doo chassis. I suggest you try to get some rides to decide because lots of guys love the Doo.

If you can't swing $10k for a new Pro with a warranty, I would default to the '10-11 Cat for around $6000. Keep $500 around for a new primary clutch, or diamond drive and ride it.

I am not a fan of the longest tracks, I like the 155 and I am 250lbs geared up riding Colorado's driest champagne powder. There is a noticeable difference in handling and I have ridden enough of both to develop a preference.

If you can swing it, the '13-14 sleds are pretty awesome regardless of manufacturer. As mentioned, watch craigslist. I sold my '13 Pro with 1300 miles on it for $7500 a few weeks ago.

rmk8000

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2013
saskatchewan canada
Older than 2013 the m series cats are best. 2013 and newer all 3 are good, just comes down to personal preference/ dealer support.

M

mwgiant

Feb 4, 2008
I personally have ridden all three but prefer skidoo. I thought th m8 was terrible the pro is nice but to me the hadle bars are to far back it handles a little better than my non t motion skidoo but was a lot less power and did not go straight up hills as well. The cats are cheap for a reason. I would agree 13 or newer pro or 13 or newr eteck skidoo. I think different brands are better for different people and all have week spots. I would ride befor you buy and see wich one fits you best.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Basically pick your color, for me I ride a 14 pro and love it. I personally think the poo is the best for the tight technical type riding I do. They are all good anymore though.

C
Dec 24, 2014
If I were in your shoes, this would be the one.....hands down.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382112

If I could justify a 2nd sled it would have been sold awhile back!

There is a reason beautiful Nytro's like that sell for 30 cents on the dollar... I bet that sled is 100lbs heavier than any of the sleds thus far discussed.

I am not a Yammi hater, I am looking real hard at a turbo Apex as an addition to the light powder sled, never a replacement.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
There is a reason beautiful Nytro's like that sell for 30 cents on the dollar... I bet that sled is 100lbs heavier than any of the sleds thus far discussed.

I am not a Yammi hater, I am looking real hard at a turbo Apex as an addition to the light powder sled, never a replacement.

I get your point, but I find it funny that snowmobilers (who are probably 20# overweight on average) are so obsessed about sled weight.

And show me a $7,500 sled 200 plus horsepower RELIABLE sled that is lighter. You won't find one.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I get your point, but I find it funny that snowmobilers (who are probably 20# overweight on average) are so obsessed about sled weight.

And show me a $7,500 sled 200 plus horsepower RELIABLE sled that is lighter. You won't find one.

X1000 mafesto. I've got a buddy that is a real chunker. 250+ lbs. All he talks about is how light his pro is. Well I'm 60lbs lighter on my cat that weighs 30 lbs more than his pro. So I'm 30lbs lighter overall sled+rider. Not that it matters because I'm a better rider anyways. :face-icon-small-hap

M

mwgiant

Feb 4, 2008

We'll coming from some body that is 6'5 and over 300 lbs my mcx 270 hp turbo nytro is for sale because it's way heavier than my skidoo and way harder to handle and wares me out way faster. So I don't see why you find it funny it's about a manageable sled not the fact there lighter but they go hand and hand. Rant over stay away from Yamaha way to heavy and hard to ride unless you like trails.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Theres a BIG difference between you being overweight or the sled, a HUGE difference. Better to be a pig than to ride one;)

I'd say buy a mountain phazer that way you're guaranteed your next sled will be a step up!!!

Well said mwgiant, very well indeed.

Last edited:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
For $8000, that will get you a really good sled.

If your riding group leans toward one brand, staying with that same brand will allow you to utilize the knowledge of the group if you need to do some troubleshooting. Parts may be swapped too to help troubleshooting. Belts, in case you need them, etc.

Consider which dealer carries your make and if they are good to work with.

C
Dec 24, 2014

We are very lucky today to have some really light stock sleds on the market. Less than ten years ago people were spending $30k to buy a ~420lb CMX. The aftermarket was flooded with lightweight parts, because the sleds needed them.

The easy 100lb difference between the Nytro and the Pro is HUGE compared to me carrying an extra 20. The rediculous steering angle on the NYtro is another issue. I know the Yammi fans hate to admit it but the NYtro is a poor mtn sled at best. Sure it can be made reliable and powerful but that to me is a VERY small part of the equation.

The stock 800 Pro has enough power to take my 220lb butt to places it should never go and, I ride 10-13,000ft. I have been on and around turbo's, not my thing. There is also no way you will ever convince me that you can cover for the dead wieght with that turbo power. If you could, they would not all be for sale for pennies on the dollar. Those sleds have proven to be among the worst snowmobile buys EVER. They sure are cheap for buyers today but, ask yourself why the owners are all bailing for the new model, losing $10-20k to do so? Because the old one is really a terrible mountain sled.

To the OP... With an $8000 budget you should be looking at '13 Cat M800's, '13 Pro 800's and if Doo had the XM in '13, one of those. OR, get yourself a screaming deal on the Snowest Nytro, which is a GREAT option if it fits your riding style. I do not think tight trees and deep powder are going to be the best place to try and horse that machine around. Some that have owned them will claim otherwise, pick your poison.

Last edited:
M

mwgiant

Feb 4, 2008
Agreed a 100% my nytro (with turbo) was a very fun sled to go straight up a hill but wasn't a boondocker at all it's miserable compared to my doo. It was a $27000 plus build I bought it for 17500 a year old and 3 years later i am selling it for less than $9000. There are some good deals on mountain cats and edges but it doesn't mean you should buy them.

Premium Features