• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cylinder sleeve?

N
I burnt a hole in the mag side piston toward the end of this season and I needed a quick fix. I bought a new top end and cleaned up the cylinders as best as I could and ran it til the snow melted. It ran great but the condition of the cyl. is on my mind.

There was a small gouge below the exhaust port that I smoothed out real well. I figured that as long as it was small and no sharp edges to catch a ring it could make it a few more rides.

It ran well, and I'm wondering if I should tear it down or let it go. I wish I had taken a pic to show, but it is below the exhaust port and about the size of a thumb tack.

My next question is are the cyl. sleeved or can it be bored? As I cleaned out the gouge, it seemed to be soft metal unlike a sleeve. Who does this type of cyl. work and what's it cost?

It's a 99 rmk 700 136"

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
I burnt a hole in the mag side piston toward the end of this season and I needed a quick fix. I bought a new top end and cleaned up the cylinders as best as I could and ran it til the snow melted. It ran great but the condition of the cyl. is on my mind.

There was a small gouge below the exhaust port that I smoothed out real well. I figured that as long as it was small and no sharp edges to catch a ring it could make it a few more rides.

It ran well, and I'm wondering if I should tear it down or let it go. I wish I had taken a pic to show, but it is below the exhaust port and about the size of a thumb tack.

My next question is are the cyl. sleeved or can it be bored? As I cleaned out the gouge, it seemed to be soft metal unlike a sleeve. Who does this type of cyl. work and what's it cost?

It's a 99 rmk 700 136"

You're seeing the aluminum cylinder wall exposed under the plating - not a good thing. Your cylinder may be sleeved or just replated. Replating is a much better way to go. There are a handful of places that can do the replating, as well as a few on the forums who deal in replated cylinders. The 700 twin is a popular motor, so there are lots of cylinders out there. Cost will vary, depending on what kind of deal you work out, but full retail for replating a cylinder is about $200. That is more than installing a sleeve, but your cylinder will be good as new.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Millennium Technologies or US Chrome are good plating guys. You could sleeve it but I wouldnt. You could probably leave it and it would be fine. If its below the exhaust port, you wont see any power difference. We have run some horrible looking cylinders in a pinch before and never have had issues if the spot is smoothed up really well. You do run the slight risk of nikasil starting to flake from that point though.

Jake

N
I fugured since it is at the bottom of the stroke and not in the compression that it would have less chance of failure. I did smooth it really well so I at least feel good about that. I'm on a bit of a "sled budget" and I really wanted to extend the track and I'm leaning toward that rather than new cylinders.

The cylinders have had some porting done so I'm under the assumtion that I would have to replace both to match. That would just about eat up the $$ for the track extension.

Thanks for the input.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I can get that done for you for 170 which will include any welding. Summer is the best time as there is no huge hurry to get back on the snow. Sent you a pm i will have orders going out a little later this summer. Any one is welcome to contact me on this as well.

Premium Features