• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crank Seal?

S
Sep 5, 2011
Okotoks, Alberta
I was doing some maintenance on my sled today and not sure if I have a problem. For the last two years my sled has ran no more than 10 minutes, idling, loading into truck, into storage, etc. When I pulled my exhaust it was FULL of burnt engine oil. No big deal given the operating conditions over the last two years.

My issue is that I see nice clean engine oil in the belly pan under my clutches. I suspect my PTO crank seal but just wondering if the poor running conditions of the last two years could cause it? Maybe it will clean up with running?

Heading to Fernie in two weeks so just wondering how much work I have to do before the trip.

Thank you!

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Oil in the exhaust is 100% normal. There is always some that pools up in the "belly" of the pipe and surprises people when they pull it off.

The fresh oil on the clutch side is a different story. I would be look at the feed line to the oil pump and the tank as well to make sure you dont have a leak there. What year is your sled? Crank seals usually are good until a top end rebuild is needed (2000-3000 miles...and some guys will argue with me). What is the climate like where you at? Really dry and hot in summer?

I would find out where the oil is leaking from, but I doubt its coming from the crank seal.

S
Sep 5, 2011
Okotoks, Alberta
Sorry, it's a 2003 MC 800 with about 4000 miles on it. I did a preventative top end rebuild about 500 miles (2 years) ago. I did not do the crank seals at that time.

In the past I have had small amounts of oil in the center belly pan from weeping lines but never on the clutch side.

I live in around calgary alberta but sled is always stored in cool, insulated garage.

Premium Features