• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crank bearing cleaning/inspection/greasing

O
May 1, 2012
Just bought a non-running 03 Polaris 700 RMK which had an exploded piston and scored jug. While waiting for a top end kit and new jug to arrive in the mail, I split the crank case to look for pieces of the skirt (located 10).

While I have the case open, is there anything I should replace/inspect/service? Should i try to pack the bearings with Isolflex?

So far I've given the crank assembly a pretty good solvent wash and re-coated the bearings with 2cycle oil. A couple of the bearings had a slight grumble prior to the solvent wash, but the noise went away after I oiled (piston particles infused oil in bearings I assume). I have new seals on the way, but can't really afford to replace bearings unless absolutely necessary.

Sled has 1200 miles. Guessing a leaned out or plugged carb caused the problem. I will be addressing that next.

Any advice/thoughts would be very well received.

G
Nov 26, 2007
calgary
brgs

Make sure you realy wash the brgs good and use air to blow them out check the rod brgs really good. Did a motor and lost a crank on the second day after rebuild due to crap in the rod brg

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
While you have the crank case apart, you might want to drill in the omitted oil drip hole that should run from the left side of the PTO piston area, to the PTO end crank bearing.

Premium Features