• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CR Racing Tunnel Powdercoat???

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
There is a Dormant Blue on that site that is exactly what im looking for. will that hold up ok on the tunnels. Guessing it all depends on prep work?

Last edited:
WC...what is the procedure with the Black Chrome? Could the tunnel be blasted before this application and how does it hold up?

Cheers,

Kevin

It can be done over a chrome powder basecoat,that way the tunnel can be blasted.The black chrome has had issues for some people when shooting it,and it looks insane over real chrome though.I have not used it yet.The salt spray results in the description shows the number 500hours or 1000 hours etc.The higher the # the better when it comes to exposure.Either way its a cool color.

T

Trace

Feb 17, 2009
Palmer Alaska
WhistlerCowboy How will that anodized pink transparent flat hold up on a tunnel?
And what would you suggest base coat prep? sounds like you really know your stuff would like to have you do my parts but living way up here in Alaska I think shipping there and back are out of the question

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
WhistlerCowboy How will that anodized pink transparent flat hold up on a tunnel?
And what would you suggest base coat prep? sounds like you really know your stuff would like to have you do my parts but living way up here in Alaska I think shipping there and back are out of the question

Have you tried Advanced Powder Coating in the valley? I've had them do 3 sleds for me and they do fantastic work and have really good prices. They can get any color you want. I'm actually getting my entire sled done again with different colors this summer. They stand behind their work 100%. Call and talk to Mark and Walter, tell em Caleb sent ya.

Here's a pic of my Nytro...it was done in "city lights" pretty much 70's glitter haha(when in the sun, otherwise looks black)
exhaustdone.jpg

headercentered.jpg

T

Trace

Feb 17, 2009
Palmer Alaska
Thanks WhistlerCowboy

Nikolia Swwweeet
No I never had anything powder coated. So when did you have that done?
By looking at your running board rails in the last pic it looks like it's holding up pretty dang good.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
PC is pretty much bulletproof. I try to do it early in the summer so I have time to assemble the sled before the snow hits.

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
I actually bought the Blue one but exchanged it for the polished one Today. Does regular or crinkle coat stick better???

I saw a VE one do the same. No powdercoat where you stand.

nope I had one of the first crinkle tunnels and it peeled off in spots after 4 rides. In all fairness even before we got the tunnel he recalled them due to this problem. Don't know if my buddies is having any problems will check tho

mtnmodviper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
I had mine done in Idaho Falls. They did the chrome basecoat then the transparent blue coat. I put about 1500 miles on this year and haven't noticed any flaking. I would not hesitate to powdercoat another.

P1000679.JPG

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
ive had some of my parts powder coated from a place in town here and did an awsome job . my a arms were done by them and lasted all year banging over rocks and trees . i had some other stuff done at another cheeper place and it fell off before i put the parts on the sled lol . you get what you pay for with powder coatings . and things that flex alot wont hold the powder coating that well , ie a 153 tunnel vs a 174

M
Dec 9, 2008
The Terra Alps Racing crew roughs up the the aluminum on the tunnels and wipes down with acetone before getting them powder coated. real clean and rough for the coating to stick, quality work that will last.
Don't cheap out when spending big bucks on a project you expect to last for 10 years or more.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Anyone know a place in western canada that can dip the tunnels to get them back to raw aluminum?

Do you have a local chrome shop? If so they should have an acid that they dip parts into that will take off pretty much anything and isnt hard on the metal. I have had it done many times here locally and it works great before chrome/powdercoat.

Premium Features