• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Could we please stop buying water in plastic bottles?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Maybe now that its been legalized maybe we will see advances in biodegradable hemp based plastics.
I would assume that's coming down the pipe. As the legalization gets more widespread, I would assume that market is going to blow up.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
You guys all know full well that I am NOT a greeny.
And you guys all know full well that I am for MINIMAL government & only necessary taxation.
Having said that, items should include a tax equal to the cost created by their need of proper disposal/destruction/recycling.

Another one that is soooooo convenient, yet terrible is K-Cups.

What ever happened to paper based milk cartons?

I could go on.

I don't think you need to be a greeny to get behind this. I mean what if we use less plastic and produce less trash and actually have a planet that is just cleaner and less trash on it? That would be horrible. :face-icon-small-ton

I don't use K-Cups, I prefer real coffee in espresso form. I get my milk delivered from a local dairy in reusable glass bottles. Much better milk. They still have paper based milk cartons, usually half gallon or smaller only.

The water bottle thing can be tough. I buy them for camping, etc. May have to make a commitment to not. At work we go through dozens and dozens of cases. Not sure a good solution for a business that gives water for customer while maintaining sanitary water supply for drinking.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
You guys all know full well that I am NOT a greeny.
And you guys all know full well that I am for MINIMAL government & only necessary taxation.
Having said that, items should include a tax equal to the cost created by their need of proper disposal/destruction/recycling.

Another one that is soooooo convenient, yet terrible is K-Cups.

What ever happened to paper based milk cartons?

I could go on.

https://boxedwaterisbetter.com/

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Interesting

Have you used it? what is cost like?

Wow, $25 for a 24 pack of 8 oz bottles.

12 liter case is $35

1/2 liter 24 pack is $45

Wow

I can get 20% Off a $200 minimum order & 30% Off on 60 case pallets wholesale including freight, but I’d really like to locate an old “carton filling machine” sitting in a warehouse doing nothing. :face-icon-small-win

This has huge potential in certain markets.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Vacuum sealed stainless steel.
Hold ice all day, untill u add more faucet water. Can usually fill it two more times after i leave home before it melts. Yeah, Gotta wash it, including the straw. Very simple.
bb57355353ffab6507cd0d88f2165209.jpg

Polaris

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Vacuum sealed stainless steel.
Hold ice all day, untill u add more faucet water. Can usually fill it two more times after i leave home before it melts. Yeah, Gotta wash it, including the straw. Very simple.
bb57355353ffab6507cd0d88f2165209.jpg

Polaris

Never understood the wisdom in buying water myself.

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
I spent a couple weeks in New Zealand over the new year and was shocked at how enviromentaly aware they are. There are no plastic straws. Paper at fast food or small cafe's, and metal at restaurants. Very few plastic bottles. You do see them around, but nothing like around here. No plastic grocery bags. Paper bags at the checkout, or you bring your own cloth bag. When you forget and leave your own bag at home, they sell the cloth ones for next to nothing at the checkout. I have to laugh at the folks that get all worked up over banning plastic straws and plastic grocery bags. Its just so simple, should have happened here a long time ago.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
As soon as you stock my fridge with h20, fill my to go cup on demand, serve me water in a cup at the lake, come boating and pour water all weekend, load up a 5 gallon jug and pour water for everybody all weekend, yes. I will stop using bottled water. But take the reuseable soggy straws and shove em where the sun don’t shine snowflake. Hahaha

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isn't the solution to stop dumping trash in the ocean? If the bottle makes it to the trash or recycle bin here, over a thousand miles from an ocean, what is the problem? Be responsible with your trash!

I will be part of handing out hundreds of plastic bottles of water over the next week at the County Fair. We are even sticking our business name on the bottles so you know who handed it out to you. I do not feel the least bit bad about it. Temps are in the 90's, people appreciate cold water in an easy to carry, easy to dispose of container. Lots of trash and recycle bins around the fairgrounds, I do not see the problem.

If you are using stupid cloth bags to carry your food I hope you are washing them after every use. Studies show that people are getting sick because of food cross contamination caused by hauling produce in these bags. So once you figure in the water waste to wash your bags all the time, where is the benefit again?

Just a bunch of stupid snowflake hype, only half the facts to get there as usual... Carry On

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Isn't the solution to stop dumping trash in the ocean? If the bottle makes it to the trash or recycle bin here, over a thousand miles from an ocean, what is the problem? Be responsible with your trash!

I will be part of handing out hundreds of plastic bottles of water over the next week at the County Fair. We are even sticking our business name on the bottles so you know who handed it out to you. I do not feel the least bit bad about it. Temps are in the 90's, people appreciate cold water in an easy to carry, easy to dispose of container. Lots of trash and recycle bins around the fairgrounds, I do not see the problem.

If you are using stupid cloth bags to carry your food I hope you are washing them after every use. Studies show that people are getting sick because of food cross contamination caused by hauling produce in these bags. So once you figure in the water waste to wash your bags all the time, where is the benefit again?

Just a bunch of stupid snowflake hype, only half the facts to get there as usual... Carry On

Valid points.
Since I'm in a motel room and bored, I will play devil's advocate.
You're recycling solution is great, albeit unrealistic.
If we actually practiced that, this thread wouldn't exist.
The solution? Someone out there probably has better ideas than I do, but here's mine.
We seem to only respond to issue when it affects our wallets.
We could do a per bottle deposit like we used to with glass bottles. I suspect that this wouldn't be effective unless the deposit exceeded the actual cost of the product, but who knows?
I would whole heartedly oppose this unless the funds went directly to cleaning up plastic waste pollution.
I'm not singling out water, this could also go for soda, juices etc. as well.
This wouldn't solve anything, but could indeed reduce the scope of the problem.

Bottom line.... We are lazy pigs that choose convenience over environment.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Valid points.
Since I'm in a motel room and bored, I will play devil's advocate.
You're recycling solution is great, albeit unrealistic.
If we actually practiced that, this thread wouldn't exist.
The solution? Someone out there probably has better ideas than I do, but here's mine.
We seem to only respond to issue when it affects our wallets.
We could do a per bottle deposit like we used to with glass bottles. I suspect that this wouldn't be effective unless the deposit exceeded the actual cost of the product, but who knows?
I would whole heartedly oppose this unless the funds went directly to cleaning up plastic waste pollution.
I'm not singling out water, this could also go for soda, juices etc. as well.
This wouldn't solve anything, but could indeed reduce the scope of the problem.

Bottom line.... We are lazy pigs that choose convenience over environment.

We have states that put a deposit on bottles, does it work in Michigan? I think they have a law like that... My guess is that a deposit on a bottle works about as well as getting people to recycle. You just accept the 5-10 cent loss on each Mtn Dew. I am also pretty sure you are buying into some of the hype. Is it even the US that is doing all this dumping in the ocean? Seems like lots of those third world countries do it though. Maybe we should put a bottle tax on them Mr Democrat?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I am also pretty sure you are buying into some of the hype. Is it even the US that is doing all this dumping in the ocean? Seems like lots of those third world countries do it though. Maybe we should put a bottle tax on them Mr Democrat?

I'm confident that you're correct in assuming much of the pollution is coming from other countries. Are you really saying that since they pollute, there's no reason for us to not pollute? Since when do we strive to be no better than the rest of the world?

And nowhere did I say anything about additional taxes. Not sure where you're getting that.

Lastly, assuming that I'm a Democrat.....
Pretty sure that the whole forum is laughing about that one.

I am enjoying the conversation though.
It's a beautiful morning in South Dakota!

Premium Features