• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Could we please stop buying water in plastic bottles?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
It's all good.
A perfect example of issues NOT being black or white, but a lot of gray.

The reason I enjoy arguing is I do occasionally learn from different points of view. :face-icon-small-ton

Jean-Luc Picard

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Blackfoot, Idaho
www.bennyfifeaudio.com
The absurd things we buy (or are given) because they're convenient or pretty is completely absurd.

My 13 yo son 4 years ago decided to go off of food coloring (his mom thought it gave him anxiety - I'm not sure one way or the other, but I'm sure it won't hurt him to not have it). He's practically religious about it. We bought Jet puffed WHITE marshmallows the other day. Blue food coloring. Chocolate Ice Cream - Blue food coloring. Pickles? Blue & Yellow.

It's near impossible to find out exactly what is actually in food coloring or "natural and artificial flavors." But its up there with straws & plastic bags. I go out to eat & never use the straws, but they always put them on the table. Buy your kid or grandkid a toy from walmart sometime & weigh the toy with all the packaging and then, 20 minutes later after finally disentangling it from all the twisties & blister packs & cardboard, weigh the toy by itself.

WHY do we do this?

Oh... And Maybe Mafesto should run for the Democratic ticket for President? You'd only be about the 42nd candidate. At least look into being somebody's running mate. :laugh:

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I'm confident that you're correct in assuming much of the pollution is coming from other countries. Are you really saying that since they pollute, there's no reason for us to not pollute? Since when do we strive to be no better than the rest of the world?

We already are better than the rest of the world. You bought into the democrats notion that America is bad and we need punished, I say BS!

And nowhere did I say anything about additional taxes. Not sure where you're getting that.

You call it a deposit but when not returned, who collects that money because I assure you only about 10% get returned. Turns into a defacto TAX...

Lastly, assuming that I'm a Democrat.....
Pretty sure that the whole forum is laughing about that one.

Actually most of us are confused. Falling for this idiocy is not like you. This is a human problem, not a plastic problem.

I am enjoying the conversation though.
It's a beautiful morning in South Dakota!

You should expand those horizons as well. I have been through SD dozens of times, other than the Rushmore area, you can HAVE those mornings. I am watching daybreak over the mountains and will be spending the day on the ranch at nearly 10k feet. Beautiful morning in SD, uh huh...

Jean-Luc Picard

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Blackfoot, Idaho
www.bennyfifeaudio.com
We already are better than the rest of the world. You bought into the democrats notion that America is bad and we need punished, I say BS!

You call it a deposit but when not returned, who collects that money because I assure you only about 10% get returned. Turns into a defacto TAX...

Actually most of us are confused. Falling for this idiocy is not like you. This is a human problem, not a plastic problem.

You should expand those horizons as well. I have been through SD dozens of times, other than the Rushmore area, you can HAVE those mornings. I am watching daybreak over the mountains and will be spending the day on the ranch at nearly 10k feet. Beautiful morning in SD, uh huh...
Wow, Mr. Grumpypants.

I think you just don't like it when anyone has a viewpoint that isn't your own. I'm not saying I agree w/ mafesto's ideas on this 100%, but he'll at least consider something other than what he's spoonfed by foxnews.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Wow, Mr. Grumpypants.

I think you just don't like it when anyone has a viewpoint that isn't your own. I'm not saying I agree w/ mafesto's ideas on this 100%, but he'll at least consider something other than what he's spoonfed by foxnews.

So you do not like when he is spoonfed by fox news but it is OK to be spoonfed by CNN? You think it is some sort of enlightenment to embrace stupidity like that, mark of a true liberal mind...

Not grumpy, just honest and direct. Calling me grumpy is as dumb as calling conservatives racist because you do not like what you hear.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
10 itch, you are falling for the stereotype that pollution/environment is a liberal/conservative issue.

When I see images of blatant disregard for what God has left in our care, it has nothing to do with "D" or "R", it has to do with simply knowing the difference between good & bad, and trying to leave this world a better place instead of leaving a legacy of garbage for future generations.
One person does indeed make a difference. Floods are made up of individual raindrops.

Jean-Luc Picard

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Blackfoot, Idaho
www.bennyfifeaudio.com
So you do not like when he is spoonfed by fox news but it is OK to be spoonfed by CNN? You think it is some sort of enlightenment to embrace stupidity like that, mark of a true liberal mind...

Not grumpy, just honest and direct. Calling me grumpy is as dumb as calling conservatives racist because you do not like what you hear.
I haven't watched CNN since I was 10 or so. Also, I said he at least doesn't believe everything he is spoonfed. Neither do I, regardless of the source.

I form my own opinions. And sometimes they even change based on what I learn / experience!

Like the Mueller thing - Republicans viewed it as a victory & So did Democrats. It was just pageantry. The report speaks for itself, which our overpaid lawmakers took 7 hours to get him to say again and again and again.

And I called you grumpy because I was being honest and direct.

Last edited:

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
For what it’s worth we have a deposit program on typical beverage containers in Canada. Varies by province, but ten cents on smaller containers, $0.25 on larger ones. Water bottles, soft drinks, milk, juice, etc.

Been that way as long as I remember. And you rarely see one lying around for long before someone picks it up. Schools, sports teams, scouting groups etc line up to clean ditches in the spring and to have something called a “bottle drive” as a fundraiser.

It’s a real eye opener when I travel to anywhere that doesn’t have a deposit program and see all the disgusting wastefulness.

There are still lots of lazy and wasteful peeps in these parts too, but by monetizing these containers the problem is self-regulating.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
For what it’s worth we have a deposit program on typical beverage containers in Canada. Varies by province, but ten cents on smaller containers, $0.25 on larger ones. Water bottles, soft drinks, milk, juice, etc.

Been that way as long as I remember. And you rarely see one lying around for long before someone picks it up. Schools, sports teams, scouting groups etc line up to clean ditches in the spring and to have something called a “bottle drive” as a fundraiser.

It’s a real eye opener when I travel to anywhere that doesn’t have a deposit program and see all the disgusting wastefulness.

There are still lots of lazy and wasteful peeps in these parts too, but by monetizing these containers the problem is self-regulating.
The road I live on is a cutacross country road that gets you from town to town. No cops. Its the shortcut home for all the construction guys coming back from working in Bigsky and the Yellowstone club. They way up to work is covered in energy drinks and coffes, the side coming home is nothing but beer cans.

Last spring I cleaned up 3x 55 gallon contractor bags worth of bottles and cans in under 1 mile of road when the snow melted. Worst part is the section is about 5 miles long and looked the same the whole way. It blows me away how acceptable litter is to people. Especially things that DO NOT breakdown like plastic.

Its no joke about the incentive to recycle when its worth a few bucks. I'd have made 100 bucks on my endevor and a bunch more if I kept going. I just hate seeing the roads look like that but obviously not a lot of folks. Trash and litter sucks.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Just so you guys know, I will be handing out free ice cold water in plastic bottles all day today at the Montrose County fair and rodeo! We will distribute nearly 1000 bottles this week at the fair. I should probably buy a box of straws and hand them out too...

Premium Features