• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooling: Easiest/Cheapest/Most Effective

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
I realize I'm in a bit different world, but running hot has been a very common problem for us flatlanders. There have been 2 things that have really helped me: First is a fuel controller and a good map. That solved probably 60% of my problems. So, if you don't have one, consider it seriously. Second is to add cooling capacity to the sled. Probably the easiest thing to do is an additional tunnel cooler. As long as you're keeping a thermostat in the motor, I don't think there is any such thing as "too big". I agree with the idea of the longer snowflap as well. The cooling system in these sleds is barely adequate and the motors tend to run warm. The other thing I tend to do keep my motor under as much load as I can (aggressive clutching). I don't think the CFI system in general is able to cope well with relatively high engine RPM/low engine load situations. I think that combination can make F/A ratios inconsistant and very lean. I realize there is only so much one can do based on snow conditions, concerns over belt heat, etc. but it's something to keep in mind.

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
Thanks to all! Especiallly rocket. I did just buy a fuel controller, but I didn't realize that it had that much of an effect on cooling. I haven't had a chance to put it on yet. That is good to hear.

I also bought a SLP single pipe, which I am assuming will be more heat.

Does anybody have any clutching suggestions for a sled with stock everything except pipe and map? Weights? Springs? What rocket is saying about making sure the engine is under load makes sense to me anyway. I am at 1,500' MSL. I will have my track cut down to 2.1 inches and screwed if that matters. (admittedly a newb)

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Just run scratchers ALL OF THE TIME. I run scratchers down almost 90% of the time outside of deep pow. Even free riding around on set up hard pan. Hurts nothing...slows you down drag racing and that is it.

Nobody is qualified to give you clutch coaching based on what you have posted. Call Carl's Performance in Boise Idaho 208-853-5550 and tell them exactly how much you weigh, what you've done to your sled, and where you ride mostly. Then buy and install EXACTLY what Chris tells you.

I doubt trimming your track will make any difference in cooling but it WILL increase the over all performance of that sled and your riding experience day in and day (irregardless of where you are from). It might give you a bit more bite and therefore throw up some more snow but I wouldn't bank on that.

Know this...bumping along in and out of engagement even at 150* hurts nothing. Watch your instrument and you'll see it will quickly settle back to the setting of your thermostat (most function around 120-130*) when you get going once your running your scratchers. Faster you go the more snow is thrown up on your coolers.

Premium Features