• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cook City Avalanche fatality

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
WOW!!! Avalanche danger high on all slopes. Its OK I have an air bag!!!!. Thoughts go out to the family for their lost especially this close to a holiday so every year they will have a big reminder of it. Be safe out there guys. Be smart and live to ride another day

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Actually happened yesterday around 1pm.

Was a Group from Bismarck.

Heard a couple different story's. Some say the guy stuck caused it.
Some say couple of
Guys were riding above the stuck guy. Either way sounds like the one that was stuck was the one who lost his life.

Sounds like a case of a group that had all the gear and thought that would save them no matter what.

One guy dead that was stuck on a slope that he should have never Been on with the high Avi danger posted that morning. Then 2 guys buried sitting in the run out zone. Not smart on any count.

One paid the ultimate price while wearing the best gear money can buy.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I read somewhere all 3 had bags. Did none of them pull or is there more to it?

Its horrible to start the year out this way. I thought maybe they were riding along and got side swiped. No time to pull bags, apparently that's not the case.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I read somewhere all 3 had bags. Did none of them pull or is there more to it?

Its horrible to start the year out this way. I thought maybe they were riding along and got side swiped. No time to pull bags, apparently that's not the case.

All 3 had bags.

2 supposedly sitting in the run out zone deployed their bags. One partially buried and one fully buried.

Guy stuck on hill didn't deploy and didn't survive

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
only a guess but i am thinking the guy caught freaked when the mountain slid and that is all he could focus on and froze up until it was to late. It is a scary situation and no one knows how they will react until you are in the situation. If you don't practice with the equipment and hone your reactions once in that situation you will freak. Its human nature Its sensory overload you hear it, you see it happening all around you and you feel it. if those are the only things you can focus on your domed. You practice with your beacons. How about practicing with your bags. maybe set up a drill in the parking lot or where ever you are and someone says ava and everyone in your group reach over and grabs their handle. Do it over and over again so if you are ever caught in a real avalanche you your mind says avalanche and you will instinctively reach for the rip cord. Being 6 ft down you would be extremely lucky even to dig a hole that deep in the debris pile in 15-20 minutes. that is a huge effort digging through concrete snow RIP

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
Sad day for someone's family. My thoughts and prayers to them in this tough time.

This goes to show that just because you have the money to afford the best gear doesn't mean you should tempt fate. Please be safe AND smart. These need to go hand in hand folks. Stay safe, ride smart and get home to your families. That is what matters most!!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I watched the incident investigation video a couple hours ago this morning. The one by Gallatin Avy Center.
Hopefully I can explain it correctly.

One person who was buried had deployed. Bag was partially visible. Dug him out and partially conscious. He was OK. No beacon search was needed for him.

Another was found after that by beacon search. He was 6' under. Face down and his feet were uphill. They did cpr but could not revive him.

Last edited:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
This incident proves that it only takes one little mistake for bad stuff to happen. They got in there, realized it was a bad spot. Tried to get turned around and the one guy went above just a little to get around them and broke the hill loose. I have been to that spot many times. Never do any climbing but go by it. The snow is very unstable right now and lots of bad things can happen. I hope everyone is careful the next two weeks. There will be a lot of riders out there with all the snow fall.

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
I feel like the theory of how an avy bag works is misunderstood by some. If you are standing in the runout zone, or even worse in a terrain trap an airbag isn't going to do much for you. It is only effective if you are moving with the slide, while it's acting as a liquid, to keep you at or near the surface.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I feel like the theory of how an avy bag works is misunderstood by some. If you are standing in the runout zone, or even worse in a terrain trap an airbag isn't going to do much for you. It is only effective if you are moving with the slide, while it's acting as a liquid, to keep you at or near the surface.

I think it could also help in the event of a partial burial too though. Like when its done and buried up to your chest and once it deflates it gives you some room to maneuver.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Incredibly sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims family. Puts a lot into perspective about this sport. I think sometimes the overwhelming joy people get out of riding surpasses the reality of how dangerous some situations can be.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Incredibly sad. Thoughts to the family and friends.

As noted in the vid, the young man that was stuck deployed his back and survived. The father, that was in the runout zone, deployed and survived (questionable as to if the airbag deployment played a part in that), and the fatality was the person that rode above the stuck sled (and had a avy pack but did not deploy and was buried 6 feet deep and still tethered to his sled so no separation there). Very sad, indeed.

I think it could also help in the event of a partial burial too though. Like when its done and buried up to your chest and once it deflates it gives you some room to maneuver.

For clarification, no canister-inflated avy bags deflate after a period of time. They stay inflated until you manually release air pressure with a valve. Only the Jetforce (battery and fan type avy bags) deflate after a period of time. To your point, I suppose if you or someone intentionally punctured the bag to relieve some of the pressure around you, it could potentially offer some relief.

The the info sledhead shared is accurate; the science behind airbags apply only when you and the snow are in motion where the volume difference between your airbag and the snow can sometimes help work you closer to the surface before the snow comes to a standstill. In general, a bag won't help you much if you get blasted in the runout zone because the amount of time you and the snow will continue to move along together is much shorter than if you were further uphill and were in motion for a longer period of time.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
DAMN!

I know exactly where this riding area is. Been there many times. I have family and friends from Bismarck. I don't have the words. :face-icon-small-sad

Premium Features