• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

COMMENT PEROID FOR GREAT BURN!!! SURVEYOR, WILLIAMS, BEAVER RIDGE

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
Here is the info. to get to the CLEARWATER NF COLLABORATIVE EMAIL COMMENTS

Google Clearwater National Forest, click onto the heading that notes the forest plan revision, click onto the collaborative email section, follow directions.

Here is the link:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nezperceclearwater/landmanagement/planning/?cid=stelprdb5398165

As you will see the Mtn. Bike people have been quite active. Snowmobilers need to be heard . There has been none to date! The object of this comment blitz is to convince the Forest Supervisor, Rick Brazell that the Great Burn has historically been used by snowmobilers since the late 70's. Snowmobiler activity has not caused any damage to the area over that period of time. There is no evidence of snowmobile activity after the snow melts, and there are no user conflicts in the winter.

I can't guarantee the results of this email effort but in view of the fact the FS is using a snowmobiler prepared map as a baseline for discussion leads me to conclude that they are now serious about making boundary changes to accommodate us.

Timing is everything. The next CNF collaborative meeting is May 18 and 19. The agenda is DESIGNATION OF AREAS. Your email needs to be sent prior to that meeting to help influence the tone of that discussion.

If you have trouble accessing the site contact me stanspencer@montana.com and I'll try help you.

Isn't it worth 5 minutes of your time to help keep the Great Burn open to snowmobiles??

Suggested talking points for comments:

1) State the various areas you have ridden in the great Burn including Beaver Ridge and number of years riding in them.

2) State reasons you like to ride in the Gt. Burn. (EG) solitude, challenge, scenery or any other reasons that come to mind

3) State what you see, or do not see (EG) 'DO NOT SEE' other winter users, virtually no wildlife.

4) What impact will permanent closure have on you as a snowmobiler?. Will you quit snowmobiling?, Do you have alternate backcountry areas to ride?. Will you be happy being restricted to trail riding?.

5) Do you see potential conflicts if snowmobilers are consolidated into smaller areas that may include cross country skiers and/or many more snowmobiles in one area.

6) List any other reasons why you feel the Great Burn should be kept open to snowmobiling.

7) suggest the historic snopwmobile riding areas be designated : PRIMITIVE MOTORIZED-WINTER USE

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
This is a taste of what you are fighting for.

Williams Lake

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If anyone is still searching for words...feel free to use these talking points.
But if you cut and paste anyone else's letter identically, both the original and yours are often discarded as "form letters"; they only accept "unique" or "original" comments, so make sure you reword whatever you use.

To whom it may concern,<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
I ride the entire state line area from HooDoo Pass, to Surveyor, Kelly Creek, Williams Lake and all the way down to Beaver Ridge. I am 40 years old and have been riding in these historically snowmobile-used areas for over 35 years.<O:p</O:p

I rarely see animals or skiers in the winter months. The HooDoo, Kelly Creek, Surveyor, Williams Lake and Beaver Ridge Lookout areas are FAR to distant for other usage groups to access in the winter in a day-trip. There just aren't many other people who use that area in the winter. Other users are seen almost entirely on the groomed trails within 5 miles of US Highway 12. I never see a skier or skier track further out than that. I rode Williams lake almost 10 times this year and have yet to see an animal or any other tracks than snow machines more than a 1/2 mile away from US highway 12 until I saw a squirrel yesterday near Papoose Saddle. <O:p</O:p

Excluding the over snow vehicles from riding here would create more unnecessarily snowmobile-condensed areas in other places. I see possible potential for user conflicts in those new places when more users are forced to condense, rather than spread out and disperse among the millions of acres that we currently have. I have been riding this area for over 35 years and can't stress enough how the environment is absolutely suitable to "withstand" snowmobile use. Nothing is left behind when the snow melts. <O:p</O:p

The economic loss will be a huge black mark to so many small communities and establishments such as Lochsa Lodge, Lolo Hot Springs, Lolo, Missoula, Superior, Frenchtown, Grangeville, Kamiah, Kooskie, Lowell, Pierce, just to name a small few. If we are to support our local jobs and businesses with tourist and other recreational supports, we can't overlook the snowmobile's support and contribution to these industries.<O:p</O:p

A well known environmental mantra is to "leave nothing but tracks". Snowmobiles don't even leave those, which is something we can't say for hikers, mountain bikes and horses. They all leave tracks in the dirt. The sledding community has done a lot for the trail systems (that all user groups enjoy), including erosion and weed abatement in summer time. If snowmobiling is prohibited from these areas, so are these bi-products. If sledding is no longer permitted in these areas, the skiers will also lack funding to maintain their trails. It's a collaborative effort to pay for the groomer, it's maintenance and all of the weekly grooming for the duration of the season. <O:p</O:p

The entire Great Burn and Beaver Ridge areas are a historic snowmobile usage area. Let's do the right thing and allow them to continue to use these areas and designate it as such. Even if it's a primitive area, it doesn't HAVE to non-motorized. It's very smart and forward thinking to establish a Primitive Motorized Winter-Use area.<O:p</O:p

Thank you,<O:p</O:p

Scott
Florence, MT

Last edited:
Premium Features