• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Co-op Creek Avalanche

T
Jul 13, 2001
UTAH!!
Please be careful...Snow is Wierd Right Now!!!

We rode similar area, Western Uintas, earlier in the week. We stopped to chat in the meadow flats for a few minutes. After about 5 minutes of 3 sleds just sitting there we heard a pop and we all sunk about 1-2 inches. The weight of us sitting there compressed the weak layer...although it took a few minutes.

IMHO, I'm afraid it's going to take some time for this weak layer to work itself out of the snowpack....and the forecasted ice cold temps aren't exactly going to help expedite the process.

Becareful out there. You've got to follow all the rules, wear your beacons and don't do anything questionable. Live to ride another day!!

Prayers to the family.

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
I'm trying to get a better idea about where this avalanche occurred. It was near the Smith Basin area above Co-Op creek, which if my google earth mapping is correct would place it just west of Tower Mountain. Can anyone confirm this, or correct me on it?

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I was in the area yesterday and with all that fantastic snow people were forgetting the risks and riding on hills that were VERY dangerous with Extreme avy danger. I appreciate them leaving all the nice boondocking snow for us though.
Its to bad that someone has died riding yesterday, may we all take note and take the steps we ALL need to be better prepared for avy's like this.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I'm trying to get a better idea about where this avalanche occurred. It was near the Smith Basin area above Co-Op creek, which if my google earth mapping is correct would place it just west of Tower Mountain. Can anyone confirm this, or correct me on it?

Just south east of Tower Mtn, somewhat near the Groomed trail out of Co-op Creek.

F
Aug 5, 2001
Utah
hmmm died at the hospital, I take that to mean that he almost made it. Heard he was under the snow for an hour, surely with beacons this time would have been reduced.... I feel awful for the family that is going to haunt them....:(

Premium Features