• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching help/Info

G
Jul 10, 2020
So after getting my 860 big bore sled sorted I took the 09 Dragon/turbo sled out to see how it responds. Bought them this summer and couldn't really test them other than they ran and were well taken care of.
The issue I'm running into is primary engagement point is pretty high, well into 4k and maybe 5k, and it is pretty grabby when it does engage. Any pointers on where to start?
Really want to tame it down a bit for the wife to ride so smooth comes before all out performance.

Things I've already done.
I swapped the 5/72 weights per Boondocker to 10/68 weights, checked and cleaned the clutch sheaves, checked for wear on all rollers and weight bolts and sliding contact surfaces.
Swapped the black 140/330 spring back in, also have a orange/silver and pink venom springs. one is 170/300 the latter is 180/300
Tightened the belt a little but don't think that did much for it. The "grabbyness" and lack of progressive engagement is my biggest concern with it.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Putting your wife on the turbo? Hm. In any case clutching can be tricky, add in a turbo and there are even more vairables including how much boost and elevation since you want to keep it from overrevving on one end and from bogging on the other... I would definitely start with whatever clutching the turbo kit maker (Boondocker?) recommends and go from there. You can get lower engagement just by a lower initial primary spring rate, as long as the finish rate is about hte same as the recommended clutching...

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Might check the wear surface in the clutch beside the pivot point of the weight. They will start to get out of whack when the weight bushings get worn.

G
Jul 10, 2020
bushings are good. new weights. checked the rollers just to be sure and they don't seem to have any play or roughness in them. re read your post I think I get what surface you meant now. They look ok, have to compare it to the other sled.

I think I'm going order a rebuild kit just in case though,
Its got a dayco belt on it but I have a new poo belt as a spare.
Really need to compare to another sled to know what normal is. I'm thinking modded sleds weren't a good first sled idea.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
bushings are good. new weights. checked the rollers just to be sure and they don't seem to have any play or roughness in them. re read your post I think I get what surface you meant now. They look ok, have to compare it to the other sled.

I think I'm going order a rebuild kit just in case though,
Its got a dayco belt on it but I have a new poo belt as a spare.
Really need to compare to another sled to know what normal is. I'm thinking modded sleds weren't a good first sled idea.
Softer belts like the dayco may be grabbier. But mod sleds tend to launch harder, as that is what mod sled riders usually like. I would not worry about your primary, if it is consistent in engagement RPM and with the spring out everything moves smoothly... and the bushings and rollers check out. I would consider just changing the primary spring to lower engagement, as long as the finish rate is as high or higher than your current spring, it should not affect top end that much... I would start with talking to the maker of the turbo like I said. Or the big bore if that is what you are tuning, not sure from your post. I used to have an 860 Carls Dragon, I could dredge up the clutching specs from them if you are interested... had to tweak the weights a little for elevation and spring riding but it was close.

G
Jul 10, 2020
The 860 seems to be pretty good, I love the bottom end pull on that thing, the turbo sled is the weird one. Even lowering the spring from a 170 to 140 made very little difference in engage RPM.
I did notice after taking it apart again today that the bushing in the outer sheave seems a little worn and engage rpm is a little all over the place if I remember correctly from the other day.
Now I just gotta set the stuck bast** off the crank so I can go thru it.

Also thanks for the help on the race gas Sledhed, ended up finding it at Stevi Conoco.

Premium Features