• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Classic cars

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Dodge obviously hit it out of the park with the remake of the Challenger.
What they did right was making it such a close resemblance of the original.

What classic body style would you like to see in production again?

My pick - '68-'70 charger with a very limited build of the Daytona wing car

Or

'77-'81 TransAm (Bring back the T-Tops!)

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
I've seen a GM drawing of the Chevelle and Impala prototype and they look pretty good!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/12/confirmed-phoenix-trans-am-conversion-kit-coming-for-camaro/

Here's a try at the Trans Am...doesn't really work for me. I think I read they are doing T-tops too.

Neat, but based on the Camaro.
The new Camaro is a very nice car,....but........how do I say this without the GM lovers getting all poopy pants?

Well when you meet a new Challenger on the road you kind of have to do a double take to make sure is it a new one? or a nice resto?
GM should have made the new Camaro mirror the old one in that same manner.
The new Camaro is it's own car where the Challenger is a remake of the classic.
I have a buddy who restores Mopars, mostly Cudas & Challengers.
He said the demand for the Cudas & Challengers has gone up since the remake. I thought that was interesting.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
'77 Warlock

ok, maybe not, they'd never sell enough to make it feasible

Last edited:
D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Dodge obviously hit it out of the park with the remake of the Challenger.
What they did right was making it such a close resemblance of the original.

What classic body style would you like to see in production again?

My pick - '68-'70 charger with a very limited build of the Daytona wing car

Or

'77-'81 TransAm (Bring back the T-Tops!)

I gotta go with the trans am as-well, it's one of my favorites.
I'd look at a nice low mileage 08/09 corvette before I went to a brand new camaro, even an older z06 is more car than the camaro.
A retro tans am with a touch of modern design would be very cool.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
'77 Warlock

ok, maybe not, they'd never sell enough to make it feasible

A new version of the Little Red Express Truck would be cool. It would sell like hot cakes to all those rednecks who think stacks in the bed of diesel pickups are cool.
Those were the only ones that looked cool with stacks, must have been because it was a step side box

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
Real Classics. Nothing against the retros. My collection.

TheGirls2.jpg

P6270350.jpg

Truck1.jpg

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
My pick (fill in who ever can) with a very limited build car

You nailed it....there wont be a classic again until they can ACTUALLY not build #s to meet profits.

I listened to a Ford SVT director once say....."Do you know how hard it is to tell Bill Ford we are only going to build 5000 of these and projected loss's are xxxxx.xx"

THAT is the reason for no more classics.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Ford did an awesome job with the GT, but not even realistic to ever drive one much less own one.

T
Dec 25, 2007
Not a big fan of the Challenger until they finally gave it some balls this year. Just way too big and heavy. And considering that most of them that sell have the 6 between their front legs, it is really hard to want one. At least the Ford and Chevy 6s of late have some serious guts and weigh impressively less.:fish2:

I agree that the best remake was the GT. At a respectable distance I dare you to notice that the roof line is at 43in vs the original 40. Dimensions are otherwise almost spot on. And the car was incredible instant classic...

And really, the Mustang hasn't done too badly in the style or function department. Without the 2005 Mustang there is no Challenger or new Camaro. So, thanks Ford for opening the fun again.

I think the other car that gets forgotten because it was handled poorly was the Ford Thunderbird. It looked pretty sweet. But it rode like a float and had a sad excuse for an engine/drivetrain considering the original car was the impetus to the Corvette.

What to remake? How about the 1960s Jag E-type. That is such an incredible car, that despite being of British origin, I think it qualifies.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I love the new Mustangs. I think that they represent the original classic fastback quite well. The Shelby GT car with the white body and classic blue racing stripes is A+.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
So many....the 60's impala's, the 60's Nova's, the 60's Chevelles, the 56,57 Corvette, 64 GTO ,69 Trans Am. I agree with the Camaro/Challenger camparision. Would have liked to see GM stick closer to the 69 Camaro. The new rag top Camaro with top down cleans up the lines and is a pretty neat car though.

Premium Features