• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Check engine light

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I was riding my 2010 D-8 back in Iowa today - elevation around 1800- and I was noticing a stumble or hesitation around 6800-7000. You definetly noticed it was there but you could give it a little more throttle and get it to come out of it. Later though I noticed it was getting worse and I looked down and saw the check engine light flashing. It wasn't really flashing a blink code though. A couple weeks ago I had my Exhaust temp sensor go bad so I know how that flashed. This was just a constant very fast flashing. There was no pauses in it to count the flashes. I shut it off and restarted it and it never came back in the 2 miles to get home but the hesitation was still there.

Whats the fast flashing mean? Could it be detonation? I had probably 5 gallons of 91 still in there from the snowies last week where it ran perfect at 9000 ft and then another 6 gallons of 87 non ethanol from here in iowa where I always fill up.

I am going to order a PC-V for it on monday. This is the first time I've riden it back here in a low elevation but out West from 8-10,000 it has ran good for 300 miles so far.

S

shabs

Feb 8, 2009
ya its det if your riding around that rpm range, if it blinks fast or the light stays on its det. Try using just 91 oct with ethanol wires unplugged, these 4 injector 800 motors love octane and are very moody.

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
i had the same problem but it was doing it up high. turns out i had a crappy ecu map that made the det senson waay too sensative and would make it go nuts. got the new reflash last week and so far so good.

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I was thinking it was detonation but wanted to make sure. I did unplug the ethanol wires today and that helped quite a bit. I usually run 91 but I didn't have time to run to the next town to get 91. Most stations here just have 87 non ethanol and 89 with 10 percent ethanol.

Premium Features