• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Changing out voltage regulator...

A

allrevedup

Jan 15, 2013
Annandale, MN - Dillon, CO
Need a little advice changing out my vr on a 2008 700 Dragon. I know it should not be a hard fix but my sled is in my trailer parked up the hill and I want to get there fix it and ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
its been a while for me but this is as i remember it. take off the clutch side panel and the cover that holds the spare belt(2 phillips screws up front...don't break the tabs in the back) . find the VR and remove the capacitor that is bolted on top. disconnect the wires to the VR and remove it. replace and reassemble. bring a phillips and a small metric socket set (probably an 8 or 10mm). no special tools needed.

also, double check that no wires are resting on screws or sharp edges during reassembly.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I had to replace one this winter.

Dealer told me to relocate the black box that is mounted to the top of the VR. I inverted mine and bolted it to the plastic cover.

He also suggested porting the mounting plate to allow air flow under it. I opened up the foam on the engine side assuming I would have some natural airflow to the side of the VR.

Also, check the wires around the VR as I had one starting to rub as well.

Premium Features