• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

chaincase replacement advice?

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Hey guys. Ive got a 2013 m8 limited here with smashed left and right side chain cases. they look like theyre a bit of a big job.

ive never wrenched on sleds before, although ive been in the dirtbike game for 10 years... so im no beginner.

just wondering what exactly is all involved in popping both chain cases off? track removal? full clutch disassembly? does the motor stay in the frame?

is there any threads here that walk you through? or a youtube video?

any tips, advice, or specialty tools required would be greatly appreciated!! thanks.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
well thats good to hear its nothing insane.

this is just a sled that I bought from an auction for cheap. gonna fix it up and get it running. not gonna mod it to the nuts, so just gonna throw two oem cases on it and whatever else it needs.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
yeah I seen that olzy.

I need JUST the cases. no gears or anything.

I got both cases for $190. theyre gonna be showing up at my door tomorrow. just need to figure out how exactly to swap these out now!

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
well... super helpful forum we got here!

me and a buddy figured it out today.. pacing ourselves, having a few drinks. weve got 8-9 hours into it and had to stop because my tensioner is ruined. new one wont be here for 4 days. otherwise we woulda had it up and running in about 11 hours of wrenching. was fairly easy.. just took a long time.

skid comes off, easy.. 4 bolts.
secondary comes off, thats easy too.
few rivets on the bottom.
a few circlips are a tac tricky.

overall fairly easy, no special tools needed.

few important questions would be sweet if I could get answered.

1. chain case oil.. what kind and how much? I bought the sled with smashed cases and no oil in it.

2. chain case chain tension? how do I set it properly?

3. track tension. how is that set?

4. frogskin patches under my busted air box. new airbox didnt come with the frogskin screen. can I heat it up, and transfer it again with a sticky spray adhesive. or buy a sheet of 4x6 frogskin mesh, cut it myself, and use spray adhesive?

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
ok I did some reading, answered one question

for the chain tension.. Install the ratchet block; then set the tensioner in the fifth notch in the block as it is self tightening

Premium Features