• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

carbs 101

J

jer

Feb 24, 2003
everett wa.
i cant seem to get my 01 800 rmk to idle right ive checked for air leaks and found none i guess what i need is some kind of dummys guide to adjusting any help would be great i have cleansd the carbs and i have rebuild the topend

thanks,jer

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
idle

If it will run either with the choke on or the throttle held open then the issue is the idle circuit. In the last 90 days I have had a bunch with this problem. Cause is plugged idle jets. If you have checked everything else, I would go back to the carbs even if you cleaned them. Focus on the idle jet. The bleed hole in them is so small that it doesn't take much to plug them. You can't even get a needle through them. If you can't get them open, just replace them.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Back the air and fuel screws all the way out and inspect the ends of them. I don't remember which one, but one of them is very sharp pointed. That point can break off and get lodged in the carb and no matter what adjusting you do it won't run right.

sled_guy

O

olymon

I'd have to agree with bb454. Buy some new pilot jets and replace the old ones unless you can throw them in a jewelry sonic cleaner and clean them they are hard to clean. i tend to throw in one size smaller right off the top. you can always adjust for more fuel and they will be better on really warm days in the spring. Just adjust the air screw a little richer than the stock setting with the smaller pilot in.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Make sure the needles are in good condition and that the seats aren't leaking. Seen a few carbs that age here recently with idle issues that had worn needle and seats.

Premium Features