• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carb Questions

S

Ski-Doosh

Aug 1, 2014
Delta Jct AK
I purchased a 05 Summit 800ho this fall with 2200 miles on it. I cleaned the RAVE and they looked pretty bad. Right now it has a hanging idle after you ride it (3000 to 4000rpm but it does drop if your hit the chock for a couple seconds) Doesn't like to start in the cold, if its 0 degrees F it takes 5-20 pulls. It doesn't like to idle, it will either idle too fast or it will die. I picked up some boyesen reeds for $215 on Black Friday and am going to replace the stock reed valves to help with these problems as well as clean the carbs and maybe rejet.

My questions are:

Is it best to go down one size on the mains as boyesen recommends?

Should I replace the jets just because they are ten years old or just clean them?

Should I swap out the stock 17.5 pilots for 20s as many people recommend? If I do need to rejet where can i buy jets online?

I am pretty sure that the carbs have never been cleaned yet . Where they connect to the boots looks pretty bad. Should I dissemble them completly and soak them in carb cleaner or should I just wipe them down, soak the jets, and blow out with air.

I only want to have to take these carbs out once and I definitely dont want to lean out and blow the engine.

I ride at 1500-5000 feet. All these issues are at 1500 ft. Haven't had enough snow to go anywhere else yet. Thanks for any advice.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
2005 HO

"Is it best to go down one size on the mains as boyesen recommends?"
No, stock jetting works fine in our experience with this exact machine.

If you are having a hanging idle that may be a reason to go from 17.5 on the pilot to 20. We never clean pilots because they are only $5.00 at a dealer.

"Where they connect to the boots looks pretty bad."
This may be your intake leak.

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Take them apart. They come when a green coating. If that is worn down to the aluminum most likely they are letting air go past them.
Heres what mine looked like when I was having issues.

100MEDIAIMAG1096.jpg

S

Ski-Doosh

Aug 1, 2014
Delta Jct AK
So I pulled my carbs off. Big tear where the boot meets the carb. Because of this the one carb hit the driveshaft and wore at least half way through the float bowl cover. The slides have about half green stuff on them and half bare metal. There is some brown stuff at the bottom of the float bowl. I went to my dealer today and they dont have the 20 pilot jets. Unless I can order them online, I think I will just leave them and hope the new reeds will fix the hanging idle. One other thing, should I clean the black carbon off of where the reeds go in? Thanks for all of the helpful advice.

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
looks like you didnt loosen the screw enough on the boots before you pulled on the carbs and ripped the boot, Id be looking for the 20 pilot also

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
also i don't know what elevation you ride at ,but if your around 4000 to 5000 and have stock 400 main jets in your carbs I'd go with the 20 pilots and 390 mains with the boysen reeds and if your higher in elev than that I would definitely change them

S

Ski-Doosh

Aug 1, 2014
Delta Jct AK
So I put my carbs back in. It idles rich and then died so I turned the throttle adjusment scew have a turn. still idles rich pulled the plugs they were wet. At least it idles, hanging idle is gone, and it is not running lean. Thanks for all of the help.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
So I put my carbs back in. It idles rich and then died so I turned the throttle adjusment scew have a turn. still idles rich pulled the plugs they were wet. At least it idles, hanging idle is gone, and it is not running lean. Thanks for all of the help.

Where are your fuel screws set at?

S

Ski-Doosh

Aug 1, 2014
Delta Jct AK
Me being the idiot that i am did not check them. I thought I would be able to adjust them while the carbs are on. The reason the plugs were wet was because it was idleing at 1000-1400 rpm. I got the idle up to 1800 but now it takes more pulls to start even when warm. The plugs look just slightly on the lean side after an idle.

Premium Features